Bike light for commuting

Found 5th Oct 2017
Hi

My old cateye has given up working so I'm looking for a replacement front cycle light. The rear is still working but if I'll consider getting a front/rear set.
Would like them to be rechargable, as bright as possible for around £10-15 ish.

It doesn't need to be good enough to light up the whole road, more so I can be seen on my commute in the dark/low light.

I've seen these from Aldi

aldi.co.uk/bik…700

Either of them worth trying to find in store?
Anything better / compatible for this price range?

Thanks in advance!
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
7dayshop do a torch/cycle light (detachable fitting) that can use AAA rechargeables.

They also do a separate mount, that fits 25mm torches, and if you can get hold of a Sams 99p Zoom in Zoom out, I'd highly recommended it... has a "cree style" single LED, and the focus system is quite good at providing a directed or broader beam - use two, one on spot, the other on broad. It also runs fine on NiMH
Thanks, I'll take a look.

Was hoping for a usb recharge type thing but open to suggestions.

Cheers
search ebay for cree bike light

cheap and crazy bright
dataload1 h, 55 m ago

search ebay for cree bike lightcheap and crazy bright

Cree are the most popular LED manufacturer for torch-level LEDs rather than a specific model of bike light or even a bike light manufacturer.

Many powerful lights will use Cree LEDs, although a few use Nichia or Philips and there are a fair number of fakes around. Even on those that do the brightness can vary a hundredfold depending on actual LED model and power draw.

If you're going to go shopping in the murky depth of ebay you should assume about 100 lumens/watt. For example a light with a 20Wh battery (6xAAs) that runs for 8 hours is putting out about 250 lumens.

Anyone claiming 1000 lumens and 8 hours on that size of battery is lying about one or another, usually the light output as people are less knowledgeable about what it should look like.
EndlessWaves1 h, 51 m ago

Cree are the most popular LED manufacturer for torch-level LEDs rather …Cree are the most popular LED manufacturer for torch-level LEDs rather than a specific model of bike light or even a bike light manufacturer. Many powerful lights will use Cree LEDs, although a few use Nichia or Philips and there are a fair number of fakes around. Even on those that do the brightness can vary a hundredfold depending on actual LED model and power draw.If you're going to go shopping in the murky depth of ebay you should assume about 100 lumens/watt. For example a light with a 20Wh battery (6xAAs) that runs for 8 hours is putting out about 250 lumens.Anyone claiming 1000 lumens and 8 hours on that size of battery is lying about one or another, usually the light output as people are less knowledgeable about what it should look like.

I know but it's easier to just search for "cree"

here are ones I'd recommend, I have the 2 led one and it's unbelievably bright on the highest setting

battery lasts me about 4 hours, switching between high, low and medium depending on where I ride

item 232280602567
item 263214643141
item 321380802075

yes the outputs are most likely not accurate but they are blinding and cheap so it's irrelevant really
EndlessWaves2 h, 13 m ago

Cree are the most popular LED manufacturer for torch-level LEDs rather …Cree are the most popular LED manufacturer for torch-level LEDs rather than a specific model of bike light or even a bike light manufacturer. Many powerful lights will use Cree LEDs, although a few use Nichia or Philips and there are a fair number of fakes around. Even on those that do the brightness can vary a hundredfold depending on actual LED model and power draw.If you're going to go shopping in the murky depth of ebay you should assume about 100 lumens/watt. For example a light with a 20Wh battery (6xAAs) that runs for 8 hours is putting out about 250 lumens.Anyone claiming 1000 lumens and 8 hours on that size of battery is lying about one or another, usually the light output as people are less knowledgeable about what it should look like.

Thanks, most useful!
dataload23 m ago

I know but it's easier to just search for "cree"here are ones I'd …I know but it's easier to just search for "cree"here are ones I'd recommend, I have the 2 led one and it's unbelievably bright on the highest settingbattery lasts me about 4 hours, switching between high, low and medium depending on where I rideitem 232280602567item 263214643141item 321380802075yes the outputs are most likely not accurate but they are blinding and cheap so it's irrelevant really

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a look.

I hadn't been looking for one with a battery pack, but will happily consider one as long as it's quick to remove when I get to work
Cheers
I checked out the Adobe offerings this morning.

I wasn't impressed by the back light in the £14.99 set.

The single high performance front light seemed good, but wasn't 100% sure so I'll keep looking.

I don't think any with a separate battery pack are going to be suitable, I need to be able to quickly unclip any lights when I get to work/shops etc
gearbest.com/led…tml
Rechargable, but looks like the 18650 battery is not included ... wandering around gearbest after looking for something else
matth999913 h, 59 m ago

https://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_520494.htmlRechargable, but …https://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_520494.htmlRechargable, but looks like the 18650 battery is not included ... wandering around gearbest after looking for something else

Thanks I'll take a look at that
Does this look any good, or is it just the same as the battery pack ones, but with only 1 LED?

rover.ebay.com/rov…528
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants