Bike lights

Found 21st Dec 2017
Looking for a powerful bike light for off road riding on ebay/amazon. So many to choose from with so many mixed reviews, any reccomendations?
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
How do you go off road riding on eBay/Amazon??
32857414-q2gFo.jpg
My only recommendation is to pay attention to what kind of battery they use as a lot of lights for sale from seller use a load of C batteries that mean things cqn be very small but last five mins and cost a lot to replace the batteries
I have been using the Magicshine MJ-872 for years, and it's great. It's like riding with a floodlight.
The cheap Solarstorm lights are popular for off road riding:

amazon.co.uk/Wat…orm

I find a torch type light like the Ultrafire 502B handy to have on the bars and on the helmet, it's useful to have anyway and essential to have a backup in case the main light fails:

ebay.co.uk/itm…0LL

I agree with the recommendation about being careful with batteries, I use a seller called Torchy boy on ebay for my batteries:

stores.ebay.co.uk/Torchy

There's a long topic on bike lights on bikeradar which I find handy:

bikeradar.com/for…360

Most of the people I ride with use lights with a battery pack which give good performance, I've experimented with a few battery pack powered lights but I find the separate battery pack irritating. I'm currently using a Fenix BC30 as my main light as it's powered directly by a pair of 18650 batteries, an Ultrafire 502B with a Cree XML2-T6 light on my bar and helmet plus another one as a spare in my backpack although the performance of the Fenix is noticeably weaker than the battery pack powered lights. I find it's good enough for off road night riding though, mainly just having the helmet light is useful since it's always lighting up where you're looking.
Johnmcl71 h, 23 m ago

The cheap Solarstorm lights are popular for off road …The cheap Solarstorm lights are popular for off road riding:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Waterproof-Cycling-Bicycle-HeadLight-Headlamp/dp/B01GZWIL34/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1513869346&sr=8-2&keywords=solarstormI find a torch type light like the Ultrafire 502B handy to have on the bars and on the helmet, it's useful to have anyway and essential to have a backup in case the main light fails:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UltraFire-Tactical-502B-CREE-XM-L-L2-LED-1Mode-1000Lumens-18650-Flashlight-Torch/191574736848?hash=item2c9abe7fd0:g:l0kAAOSweW5VS0LLI agree with the recommendation about being careful with batteries, I use a seller called Torchy boy on ebay for my batteries:http://stores.ebay.co.uk/TorchyThere's a long topic on bike lights on bikeradar which I find handy:https://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12807034&start=3360Most of the people I ride with use lights with a battery pack which give good performance, I've experimented with a few battery pack powered lights but I find the separate battery pack irritating. I'm currently using a Fenix BC30 as my main light as it's powered directly by a pair of 18650 batteries, an Ultrafire 502B with a Cree XML2-T6 light on my bar and helmet plus another one as a spare in my backpack although the performance of the Fenix is noticeably weaker than the battery pack powered lights. I find it's good enough for off road night riding though, mainly just having the helmet light is useful since it's always lighting up where you're looking.

The problem I find with the separate battery packs is that you have to charge them at least every 3 days as they appear to drain a lot of power quite quickly. The one I currently have is very bright though, I also make sure to carry a spare battery as well when out on my bike.

Incidentally, does the UltraFire you posted from eBay come with attachments? I could do with something like that as a backup light. And what's it like for holding power, how often do you find before you have to charge the batteries?
bo0td1 h, 52 m ago

I have been using the Magicshine MJ-872 for years, and it's great. It's …I have been using the Magicshine MJ-872 for years, and it's great. It's like riding with a floodlight.

Can you use this light for normal road use? It says it's more powerful than a car headlight.
I would assume the light just comes on its own, I've just bought the attachments separately - this looks similar to my helmet mount:

ebay.co.uk/itm…AkA

And one like this for the bar mount:

ebay.co.uk/itm…226

I haven't used any of the sellers I've mentioned apart from Torchy boy, I bought a few of the torch lights a few years ago and not needed to buy any new ones. I use the Torchy boy batteries with the torch lights although I'm not sure of outright runtime as I tend to run the bar mount one on low when cycling out and only have the helmet light on when I'm doing the faster off road sections. I'm usually out riding for two to three hours and always charge up the batteries before going out each ride.
airfix31 m ago

Can you use this light for normal road use? It says it's more powerful …Can you use this light for normal road use? It says it's more powerful than a car headlight.

I have, with it angled down and on a lower setting. Whether I should have is another matter. I'd recommend something like a Lezyne Lite Drive if you mostly cycle on roads that are lit... the light I linked, however, I wouldn't be without on pitch black traffic-free cycle routes. It has saved the lives of many rabbits
bo0td3 m ago

I have, with it angled down and on a lower setting. Whether I should have …I have, with it angled down and on a lower setting. Whether I should have is another matter. I'd recommend something like a Lezyne Lite Drive if you mostly cycle on roads that are lit... the light I linked, however, I wouldn't be without on pitch black traffic-free cycle routes. It has saved the lives of many rabbits

Thanks, I'm also pleased you think about the wildlife
Johnmcl731 m ago

I would assume the light just comes on its own, I've just bought the …I would assume the light just comes on its own, I've just bought the attachments separately - this looks similar to my helmet mount:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bicycle-Bike-Helmet-Torch-Mount-Velcro-Cycle-Light-Flashlight-Holder-Clamp/300998774390?hash=item4614ecce76:g:bGEAAOxy6MBSSAkAAnd one like this for the bar mount:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Flashlight-Led-Torch-Mount-Holder-Cycling-C-Clamp-Black-J6X5/222696206425?_trkparms=aid=555019&algo=PL.BANDIT&ao=1&asc=20151005190705&meid=24bfe4f15d42465887fdaad512ab3c1c&pid=100506&rk=1&rkt=1&&_trksid=p2045573.c100506.m3226I haven't used any of the sellers I've mentioned apart from Torchy boy, I bought a few of the torch lights a few years ago and not needed to buy any new ones. I use the Torchy boy batteries with the torch lights although I'm not sure of outright runtime as I tend to run the bar mount one on low when cycling out and only have the helmet light on when I'm doing the faster off road sections. I'm usually out riding for two to three hours and always charge up the batteries before going out each ride.

Yeah, on a normal day, if not commuting that is, I'm usually out on my bike for about 2 hours, approximately 27 mile ride. Yeah, and I've always thought helmet lights were a bit extreme especially as my bike is a road bike though I would consider getting one if I had an off-road bike. I do intend getting a hybrid sometime soon too though not sure how much off-road cycling I'll be doing though. Apart from the park (Richmond Park), and along parts of the river, it's well lit up around here, so probably don't really need one, at the moment at least.

Thanks for the info, and thanks for posting the attachment for the torch mount as well.
Edited by: "LemonHead" 21st Dec 2017
I've got two from ChiliTech that work really well, I have to be really careful when riding on the road with them as they dazzle oncoming traffic.

For off road stuff they're amazing though
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants