Bike purchase

Posted 8th May
Ordered a boardman 8.6 from a major retailer at £550 and they called be back saying its a customer return with damage. They can knock money off if I take it with damage? They could do for 425?

How bad does it look?
3459170-a6wEr.jpg3459170-kJNVJ.jpg3459170-GCMZe.jpg3459170-VpPyG.jpg
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

25 Comments
I would be wanting to haggle it bit more than that of it.
fearona08/05/2020 11:31

I would be wanting to haggle it bit more than that of it.

How much? Said 400 as be said 450 first.
400 deal
Yes £400 be fair I think.
Damage looks to be just a couple of paint chips?

Guess it depends on how much you care about cosmetics and how hard you use the bike. If you're going to be working it hard and are likely to scratch/chip it anyway then does it matter? If you're more careful or like things to look new then maybe not.

You can always counter offer - a round £400 should be acceptable
Paint work is nothing major, it will not affect the performance. £400 would be a good deal for you
Looks more like some sort of vinyl wrap to me, but maybe it's just the type of paint.

What's the frame made of? If it's aluminium then it's purely cosmetic. If it's steel then it's a starting point for rust and could be considered minor damage.
EndlessWaves08/05/2020 11:47

Looks more like some sort of vinyl wrap to me, but maybe it's just the …Looks more like some sort of vinyl wrap to me, but maybe it's just the type of paint.What's the frame made of? If it's aluminium then it's purely cosmetic. If it's steel then it's a starting point for rust and could be considered minor damage.

It's aluminium
Agree with above, cosmetic damage- £125 off is good, can push for more and they’ll prob let you have it
Edited by: "Sam223" 8th May
EndlessWaves08/05/2020 11:47

Looks more like some sort of vinyl wrap to me, but maybe it's just the …Looks more like some sort of vinyl wrap to me, but maybe it's just the type of paint.What's the frame made of? If it's aluminium then it's purely cosmetic. If it's steel then it's a starting point for rust and could be considered minor damage.

Quite unusual to get steel frames these days. Its aluminium .
I'm guessing it would be unfair to expect them to give a 10% AA or cycle discount on top of this!
Should my normal warranty still apply?
From time to time these bikes have anything between 10 to 20% off max, plus an additional 10% off using British Cycling discount. Factor in the fact it is essentially both second hand and damaged I think £400 is reasonable but not a bargain. That said some second hand Boardmans seem to be going for silly high money at the moment.
Looks like the customer had a lock there and slipped it a few times.

£400.
redserpent08/05/2020 11:58

Looks like the customer had a lock there and slipped it a few times. £400.

It was never removed from the store. They said damage from factory!
MakeItHotinHere08/05/2020 12:09

It was never removed from the store. They said damage from factory!

Looks suspicious as thats the kind a damage a lock makes. I have a Boardman and slipped the lock when inserting the key and one end goes flying due to the weight and tension.
So he's not wiling to budge on 425.
This was an ex display model from another store.
If it’s a 23% discount for a couple of paint chips, it seems like a good deal to me. It’ll likely be getting a few more when you start to use it, right.
id be wanted to check the rest of it over though.
Also as somebody else has said, make sure they warranty is as you’d expect
Nice bikes boardman It looks like it's been used to me, so if you do keep it make sure you get it checked by a proper bike mechanic as halfords are notoriously rubbish at setting them up correctly. I know from past purchases how bad they can be.
Got it home. Seems good but creaks/slight noise when from wheels rotate
MakeItHotinHere08/05/2020 20:23

Got it home. Seems good but creaks/slight noise when from wheels rotate

Where does the creak sound come from? Slight noise is probably the brake pads rubbing, it shouldn't creak though.
Seems to come from the chain or from only when I'm cycling on it. If I change the left gear to 2 it goes away.
I did have to take the front wheel off to transport it home.
MakeItHotinHere08/05/2020 20:39

Seems to come from the chain or from only when I'm cycling on it. If I …Seems to come from the chain or from only when I'm cycling on it. If I change the left gear to 2 it goes away.I did have to take the front wheel off to transport it home.

And the front brakes seem slow to respond.
Is this even boardman?
40686471-j2aiM.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions