Bike recommendations used / new open to all ideas? No idea where to start!

Posted 20th Apr
Ideally budget is £400 max unless spending a little more will get me a lot more quality in which case i could stretch it more.

Open to the used market as well as new.

Wanting something i can use down canal dirt tracks, road biking and mountain bike trials (as a beginner ) . Do i need to be looking at a "gravel bike" or a "mountain bike"?

If going into the second hand market to get more value for money what should i be looking for?

I can get the bike to work scheme but not sure it is really worth the hassle? Especially if i can get something in used market.

Any help appreciated please
Thanks!!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

8 Comments
Best off going on the bikeradar forum and asking
FubarKid20/04/2020 11:01

Best off going on the bikeradar forum and asking

Thanks i will head that way
Mountain bikes are designed to keep you moving as long as possible so feature things like kobbly tyres, low gearing, suspension to deal with large jolts like tree roots and big rocks and a frame shape to avoid hitting the ground or any sensitive parts of you.

But all of those features means they're not that great for cruising. The lumpy tyres and low gear ratios make it harder to pedal at speed and the frame shapes aren't always that comfortable.

Gravel bikes, touring bikes are so on are more woolly categories but the idea of bikes advertised with those terms is that you take a road bike (designed for speed above all) and make it a bit more practical and comfortable. Such as wider tyres for a smoother ride and mounting points for racks and mudguards. Many share the forward leaning riding position of the road bike though, which is great for aerodynamics (less effort at high speeds) but not always that nice to ride in.

If you're riding trails designed to challenge a mountain bike then that's really the only option.

For general soil and gravel tracks most bikes will work fine. Generally you want something with nice wide tyres - a bigger air cushion is less bumpy. Smooth non-knobbly tyres work well as long as the ground isn't excessively loose or muddy. It sounds like you'll be riding fairly quickly on roads and presumably flat canal paths, so make sure the top gear is also reasonably high. If you find that you're spinning the pedals furiously in top gear on the road then it's too low. You want the pedals to be hard to turn quickly in top gear.

Beyond that it's largely personal preference and finding the bike that feels right to you. Normally I'd suggest trying a range of styles but that's obviously tricky at the moment. What did you like and dislike about previous bikes you've owned?
EndlessWaves20/04/2020 14:03

Mountain bikes are designed to keep you moving as long as possible so …Mountain bikes are designed to keep you moving as long as possible so feature things like kobbly tyres, low gearing, suspension to deal with large jolts like tree roots and big rocks and a frame shape to avoid hitting the ground or any sensitive parts of you.But all of those features means they're not that great for cruising. The lumpy tyres and low gear ratios make it harder to pedal at speed and the frame shapes aren't always that comfortable.Gravel bikes, touring bikes are so on are more woolly categories but the idea of bikes advertised with those terms is that you take a road bike (designed for speed above all) and make it a bit more practical and comfortable. Such as wider tyres for a smoother ride and mounting points for racks and mudguards. Many share the forward leaning riding position of the road bike though, which is great for aerodynamics (less effort at high speeds) but not always that nice to ride in. If you're riding trails designed to challenge a mountain bike then that's really the only option.For general soil and gravel tracks most bikes will work fine. Generally you want something with nice wide tyres - a bigger air cushion is less bumpy. Smooth non-knobbly tyres work well as long as the ground isn't excessively loose or muddy. It sounds like you'll be riding fairly quickly on roads and presumably flat canal paths, so make sure the top gear is also reasonably high. If you find that you're spinning the pedals furiously in top gear on the road then it's too low. You want the pedals to be hard to turn quickly in top gear. Beyond that it's largely personal preference and finding the bike that feels right to you. Normally I'd suggest trying a range of styles but that's obviously tricky at the moment. What did you like and dislike about previous bikes you've owned?

The one i have at the minute is a very old 1980s bike my dad gave me and it feels very very heavy

Just been having a look around Voodoo Bizango seems best bike under £750? Is there anything else i should be looking at?
MrHappyGilmore20/04/2020 15:54

The one i have at the minute is a very old 1980s bike my dad gave me and …The one i have at the minute is a very old 1980s bike my dad gave me and it feels very very heavy Just been having a look around Voodoo Bizango seems best bike under £750? Is there anything else i should be looking at?

I think you looking in the right place,voodoo bikes are reviewed well on bikeradar

bikeradar.com/rev…ew/
I've had a voodoo bokor for around 5 years and it's still going strong
FubarKid20/04/2020 16:05

I think you looking in the right place,voodoo bikes are reviewed well on …I think you looking in the right place,voodoo bikes are reviewed well on bikeradarhttps://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/mountain-bikes/voodoo-bizango-29er-2018-review/I've had a voodoo bokor for around 5 years and it's still going strong

Do you use it for general use? 20 - 30 mile bike rides on tarmac and general commuting etc?

Just wondering how they handle off the dirt tracks, are they heavy and sluggish?
I've done loads of tarmac commuting,i put slicks on for this,it's great off road too, plenty of vids on Youtube, you could also pop into your local Halfords and look at the bike, check weight etc, mine has been well looked after
Edited by: "FubarKid" 20th Apr
I just took advantage of the 12 months interest free at halfords and got a Voodoo Bizango at £650 .
After a few days of research this bike has won plenty of praise for its quality parts and ride , Voodoo seem very well made , I had a voodoo hoodoo 2015 for 2 years and it was great .
Check bikeradar and a few others on YouTube as they have some great tips .
I think £650 is expensive! But its not really and is really just above budget bikes .
Also added some accessories to the order as well and decent 10/10 rated u lock .
Edited by: "yozzman1234" 20th Apr
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions