Bills in your name or kids name?

Posted 30th May 2020
Hello,
kid moving into student house.
Should the utilities and broadband be setup in their name, or mine?
I'm going to pay for it.
It may be that the broadband is with the same provider I use at my home. So is it possible to have bills for multiple properties in the same name (mine)?

Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
I'm pretty sure that they don't care who pays for it, however if your child doesn't have a good enough credit score that they will allow you to be responsible for it - though with this 'responsible lender's thing a phone call to them would be my first step.
Edited by: "Ringfinger" 30th May
You set it up in his name, or one of his housemates.
Set up in their name and give them a good start at a credit history.
yorkie1230/05/2020 20:53

Set up in their name and give them a good start at a credit history.

or a bad start, if the other occupants don't pay their share and the OP's kid gets stuffed with the bill?
Put it in their name then u can put money into their account a couple of days before the bill is due
There name - that way they can call and deal with the companies easier
OP, I presume this a shared student house?
If so, having the bills solely in the name of one person is not ideal because they have to get the other housemates share of the bill from them.
Some utility companies will accept multiple names on the bill and there are a few who will split the bill and bill each occupant separately, though they charge a premium for this.
Edited by: "Delbert.Grady" 31st May
Delbert.Grady30/05/2020 21:18

or a bad start, if the other occupants don't pay their share and the OP's …or a bad start, if the other occupants don't pay their share and the OP's kid gets stuffed with the bill?

Good coz Dad's paying either way
100% it should be in the teenager's name. Not yours. Their housemates would also think it is super weird otherwise. Speaking from leaving uni only 2 years ago
Need to put it in their name, if things go wrong - they’ll call you, then you have to ring the company. It’s a long process. If it helps, set up a standing order to their account or setup payment to be taken from your acc directly.
When I shared a house we agreed that we'd have utilities out 1 per tenant,that way nobody would ever think of screwing the other one over,not that we did but we covered our backs that way.
We just had a bill each (if possible) and bulk paid each other for 3 months at a time, I covered the internet because it's the easiest to cut people off if they don't pay you
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 31st May
Put in your child’s name, unless you own the property and are letting the rooms out or they are renting by themselves don’t put all pills in their name, share them out..when more than one teenager gets together things go wrong. Regardless how sensible you think your child is....
Whoever is named first on bills is responsible. You can have two people named on the utility bill but you need to decide who's name goes first. That's what I was told. Assume that's correct.
Edited by: "wayners" 31st May
Thanks for all the input people.
Post a comment
@
    Text