Binoculars under £30 - Recommendations

Posted 14th Feb
Evening all,

I honestly don’t know what to look for. Just want a reliable pair of general purpose binoculars for looking out to sea, while up mountains that sort of thing. I’ve looked on amazon but again no clue what’s good or not

Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

9 Comments
Not £30 but £20 more after Quidco/TCB will get you this. Good reviews on Amazon.

hotukdeals.com/dea…007
Edited by: "Speculator" 14th Feb
Cash converters normally have a pair in. Or similar shop
Something worth considering are autofocus binoculars amazon.co.uk/Mah…c=1
They don't really autofocus , but have a lens arrangement that makes them seem as if they do, very handy for acquiring something quickly and keeping it in focus, even with one hand
Don't forget, buying from Amazon, if you don't like, you can return!
esar15/02/2020 00:17

Something worth considering are autofocus binoculars …Something worth considering are autofocus binoculars https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mahauk-Compact-Binoculars-Children-Lightweight/dp/B0787LHVM7/ref=asc_df_B0787LHVM7/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310171959482&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18337411901803609023&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007413&hvtargid=pla-617578389567&psc=1They don't really autofocus , but have a lens arrangement that makes them seem as if they do, very handy for acquiring something quickly and keeping it in focus, even with one hand Don't forget, buying from Amazon, if you don't like, you can return!

Only returning things to Amazon as a last resort now. For example, recently ordered a Phone cover for my S10e buit they sent me a cover for a S10+

Too many returns to Amazon could trigger a lifetime ban.
Speculator15/02/2020 01:50

Only returning things to Amazon as a last resort now. For example, …Only returning things to Amazon as a last resort now. For example, recently ordered a Phone cover for my S10e buit they sent me a cover for a S10+Too many returns to Amazon could trigger a lifetime ban.

Doesn't mean the op has the same problem, anyhoo, what do you think of the autofocus concept?
esar15/02/2020 02:05

Doesn't mean the op has the same problem, anyhoo, what do you think of the …Doesn't mean the op has the same problem, anyhoo, what do you think of the autofocus concept?

First time I've heard of them to be honest.

Apparently, they are focused from 40ft to infinity. What if the object you want to see is less than 40ft away?
Speculator15/02/2020 02:25

First time I've heard of them to be honest.Apparently, they are focused …First time I've heard of them to be honest.Apparently, they are focused from 40ft to infinity. What if the object you want to see is less than 40ft away?

Can't be sure of that distance, but it's something like that, they're great for moving objects like birds in flight or sports where the action moves a lot.
Found s cheap pair for £13.50 with p&p if you or op fancies a punt
telescopehouse.com/bre…BwE
Surely must be some decent guides online. This any good?
birdwatchinghq.com/how…rs/

The recommendation about trying in person is good, I think, but not necessarily easy to achieve. However quite a few nature reserves around have optics days sponsored by importers or retailers; eg. Opticron ones here :
birdforum.net/sho…001

Really need to know what features are priorities or necessities before proceeding to look eg. maybe you really need a compact or it would get left at home; maybe waterproofing is a priority or use with glasses. And of course all these have an impact on the budget.

Out of curiosity did a little look to see what might be available and combining first two responses on this thread, I see that cash converters have the 8x40 version of that Olympus porro prism for your budget. They also have a waterproof Canon 8x23 compact which is advertised on ebay for £35 but might take an offer. Amazon have no-name roof prism models with 40mm objectives. Bit of a minefield but if your expectations about optical quality are modest you may well be satisfied. Astroboot have a new damaged box Helios WP3 8x42 for about £40 incl P&P which might be OKish optically, but likely not as good as, say, a comparatively priced but much bulkier used Nikon Aculon 8x42 available at Ffordes. I'm sure decent stuff is out there for your budget once you know know what you're looking for.
Thanks so much for your help
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants