Expired

Bird tattoos on hands?

22 replies
Found 4th Aug 2010
I see a lot of people where I live (Barnsley) with tattoos of a bird on the back of the hand (in between the thumb and index finger), it's normally about 30 - 40 year olds but Ive been some really old people with them.

Does anyone know what it means? I have a feeling it was just a fad (like having stars everywhere today) or a generation thing but it could be more.

Cheers.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
22 Comments

He knows, kill him!

isn't it a sign you've done time

Old lags

I think my grandad's got one (I'm from Barnsley), will ask him when I see him.

found this on google:

"Swallow tattoos on a man's hands and neck originated in British prisons from the term 'jail-bird'. It simply means you have been to prison and served your 'bird'."

Original Poster

roryk83

Wouldn't like to think so, the guys who have them are really nice and friendly guys, I could never imagine them doing time.

spider1986

I think my grandad's got one (I'm from Barnsley), will ask him when I see … I think my grandad's got one (I'm from Barnsley), will ask him when I see him.

That's great Thanks a lot, been bugging me for a while.

Original Poster

roryk83

found this on google: "Swallow tattoos on a man's hands and neck … found this on google: "Swallow tattoos on a man's hands and neck originated in British prisons from the term 'jail-bird'. It simply means you have been to prison and served your 'bird'."

Oh wow, that's crazy, would have never thought it from the guys who have them!

spider1986

I think my grandad's got one (I'm from Barnsley), will ask him when I see … I think my grandad's got one (I'm from Barnsley), will ask him when I see him.

Oh bless might be better not to ask. If he had done time it might be something he wants to keep in the past.
Good advert for not getting tattoo.

Goofeys Girl

Oh bless might be better not to ask. If he had done time it might be … Oh bless might be better not to ask. If he had done time it might be something he wants to keep in the past. Good advert for not getting tattoo.

If you want something to remain in the past why not get a tattoo in a visible body to hide the shame lol.!!

Goofeys Girl

Oh bless might be better not to ask. If he had done time it might be … Oh bless might be better not to ask. If he had done time it might be something he wants to keep in the past. Good advert for not getting tattoo.

He's definitely not been in prison but he was in the army for a lot of years and has some tattoos to represent this so maybe the bird is one of them.

Probably for those who have been bummed in prison

Original Poster

To have a jail bird, would that be given if you have had a certain time in, or do you get it if you have been in for a day of being an idiot?

basically, I'm asking if I should be scared of the regulars who come and buy their lottery from me!

Lol, just rang and asked him and it's not a bird at all! It's something to do with the army.

It's in the same place though, in between the thumb and index finger.

Banned

numptyj

Probably for those who have been bummed in prison

Ohh so that's why you had a flock of them on both hands

its because they've had their hands in their bush..........

bykergrove

Ohh so that's why you had a flock of them on both hands

loool, dont be jealous just cos people cant see your birds because of your hairy hands...

my dad has them and im sure theyre swallow. ill ask him later, hes deffo not been to prison though he had them done in the navy probably 40 years ago. He had quite a few done he really regrets them now.

roryk83

spider1986

I think my grandad's got one (I'm from Barnsley), will ask him when I … I think my grandad's got one (I'm from Barnsley), will ask him when I see him.

Not all us ex-cons are the nasty vile type you expect, a lot of us are polite and friendly.

Harlzter - Living free since 2001

Banned

tattoos in general on 40+ just look vulgar imho

tattoo removal companies are gonna outnumber tattoo shops in 10+ years lol

most of my mates have them and now we're hitting the 40ish mark, most want shot of them

£10 to get one on, £200+ to remove them - nice business to get into. Hmmmm.......

Banned

superskilly

my dad has them and im sure theyre swallow. ill ask him later, hes deffo … my dad has them and im sure theyre swallow. ill ask him later, hes deffo not been to prison though he had them done in the navy probably 40 years ago. He had quite a few done he really regrets them now.

yeah, my dad has a swallow on his thumb, forefinger joint. Hates it big time but not so bad as hes a builder but 64 years old. He hates the chain necklace more around his neck but that would be so painful to remove

Original Poster

I asked two of the guys and they said that it doesn't mean anything, one said it was "old school" and another just said it was fashion, so maybe some got it to look 'ard...

£10 for a tattoo? No wonder they regret it lol.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions
  1. Should I upgrade to Windows 10?58
  2. Tomtop Xiaomi Mi A1 deal removed436
  3. Domain renewal35
  4. Wireless earphones33

See more discussions