Groups

Birthday issues

Ok - last week I asked for members advice on what to get my girlfriend for her birthday. There was plenty of useful posts (as usual) however over the last few days she has been dropping big (unavoidable) hints that she wants a kitten! The background to this is that she had one last year that died after a few months due to an inheritant lung disease. Needless to say she was devastated.

Now I dont live with her and have no plans to in the near to mid future. However I do find her having a kitten a pain in the arse - whenever we go out shes worrying about it and when I go round to her place it stinks and Im forced to play with the damned thing even tho Im not really a cat person. Plus I think her housemates think its a pain in the arse aswell but are too scared of saying anything. Its just generally a pain in the arse

Plus whenever I say I dont want to get her one or I dont approve she throws the fact that she got me an Xbox 360 for Xmas back in my face saying that she didnt want me to get one cos it takes up my time etc.

So do people think I should put my own feelings aside and get her one?

If so any advice on buying kittens - where from and price etc - would be much appreciated

41 Comments

Oh dear what a dilema! Hmm not sure which side to sway to!

I'd steer clear of buying her a kitten myself, get her something else u know she'd like and if she wants to get a kitten herself in the future she will do, it will only get on yr nerves knowing u bought it her and u don't really like them!

Banned

Your stuffed either way mate....good luck!

Your stuffed or get her a stuffed 1.

If you get her a different pressie and she says she gave you lots of hints just say I didn't want you getting hurt again if this one died.

If it was me I would not get her the kitten. As already said if she really wants one that much she will get one herself.
    I would tell her straight though that I did not intend to get one so as to prevent any disappointment............

dont do it there is nothing worse than the smell of cat wiz :thumbsup:

Original Poster

snowtiger;2371753

If it was me I would not get her the kitten. As already said if she … If it was me I would not get her the kitten. As already said if she really wants one that much she will get one herself. I would tell her straight though that I did not intend to get one so as to prevent any disappointment............

I have told her straight many times - but she acts like a five year old and gets in a **** and probably thinks Im just saying Im not getting her one when really I will

I think that if I dont have one on her birthday for her ill be in the bad books for a long long long time

Plus she says the only reason she hasnt gone out and got one herself is because she knows I dont approve.

This is a bad case of blackmail if you ask me.........

Get her a hamster instead lol

She put her feelings aside for you and got you a game thingy, so you will have to honour her wishes and GET HER A KITTEN!!!!!
    If it's what she really wants and you know how happy it will make her , then do it!
    Homeless shelters for cats are good for getting kittehs ... all them poor unwanted kittehs ... at least one will be saved and loved furever!
    Dog smell offends me more than cat smells personally. It will need properly training or her flatmates will be peeved I imagine!

Original Poster

dmissy13;2371819

Get her a hamster instead lol

shes had two hamsters both of which have died -one called Nemo which escaped from the ball that you let them run around the house and was last heard crawling around the inside of the bathroom wall where a lot of flies where later seen coming from and another called Harold who saw his chance for escape from the cage and took it - was last seen running down a street in Leeds

Original Poster

Sheriff Waffles;2371828

She put her feelings aside for you and got you a game thingy, so you will … She put her feelings aside for you and got you a game thingy, so you will have to honour her wishes and GET HER A KITTEN!!!!!If it's what she really wants and you know how happy it will make her , then do it!Homeless shelters for cats are good for getting kittehs ... all them poor unwanted kittehs ... at least one will be saved and loved furever!Dog smell offends me more than cat smells personally. It will need properly training or her flatmates will be peeved I imagine!

Yeah Im kind of thinking that way aswell

Where would I be able to find my nearest shelter?

Do they have to vet you to determine you'll be a responsible owner etc? If so how long does that take?

I think yr making a rod for your own back, manipulation i do believe, at least an xbox doesnt smell and die on you, and its not like u begged for one. A cat is a living thing and will cause u problems esp cos u r not a cat person

I think you should get her a kitten. If she's going to buy herself one anyway, then you might aswel get it for her and have no argumanets about it. Just thing how happy she will be, and you will be in her good books for a very long time. She did buy you the xbox:whistling:

caggarooney;2371955

I think yr making a rod for your own back, manipulation i do believe, at … I think yr making a rod for your own back, manipulation i do believe, at least an xbox doesnt smell and die on you, and its not like u begged for one. A cat is a living thing and will cause u problems esp cos u r not a cat person

You dont have to encounter the cat all the time cos you dont live with her!
    Anyways,if you go to a shelter just tell them your girlfriend has just lost her cat due to ilness and that she is looking for another one. As long as she is able to provide a safe loving home i doubt the shelters will have a problem with it. Just dont go in saying its for a present ... that might make them think it's goin to be a novelty thing!;-)
    Get in contact with a local vetenary practice or contact the RSPCA to find a shelter local to you.

[QUOTE=Sheriff Waffles;2371980]You dont have to encounter the cat all the time cos you dont live with her!

I meant the resons he stated in his original post, like when they go out shes always worying about the cat, what its doing etc,

If he thinks she's goin to get a cat anyway then he's goin to be in this situation with her at some point anyway.
    Some people like pets and others don't, it's whether he can learn to compromise and likewise for her too.:)

But then theres compromise and theres manipulation, i bought u that so u buy me this and if u don't i'll cry and cry and cry until i'm sick

Anyway roryk83 let us know what you decide on doing

I have the solution.... Get a new girlfriend :thumbsup:

Don't get one, when you suggest going away for a dirty weekend, she won't go because of the cat, or worse, bring it along.

Get her a Neo pet instead, or a DS lite with a pet game.:)

buy her the cat and then let it go walk abouts a few days later.. She should be used to things dying by now

Don't get a kitten. I think they shouldn't be bought as presents anyway. Get her something else and tell her that you wouldn't know which one to get but that you would go with her to chose (from a shelter) if she really wants one. That way, you are not to blame from her housemates either and if she really wants one she will get one.

on her birthday take her to buy a kitten ...so she realises jus what ur going through... take her to the shelter and say this is personal so i wanted u to choose one together..... also this way the housemates cant totally blame u for throwing a cat into the mix.

cos ultimately ur gonna have to get a kitten..... she got u and xbox and shes mardy about u not wanting to get her a kitten on her birthday..... so u might as well make a big song and dance and take her to choose one and share the blame of buying a kitten.

u dont live with her at the minute... u can fake liking the cat for a bit.... not in a bad way but looks like the cat wont be around too long anyways so hopefully when/if u move in together...ull be pet free!

Original Poster

I wish she hadnt got me that damned Xbox!!............... Actually thats a lie I love that Xbox even though it gets thrown in my face whenever she doesnt get her way. Well worth it.

I think bringing her along to get a kitten from a shelter or something is the best idea - I cant see any other way out of it. You know any other present I get her will produce a dissapointing response no matter how great it is and plus Im thinking I will have to face this dilema at Xmas this year at which point she may have reassessed the situation and be requesting a puppy which will require a lot more day to day maintenance on my behalf

Banned

roryk83;2372669

I wish she hadnt got me that damned Xbox!!............... Actually thats … I wish she hadnt got me that damned Xbox!!............... Actually thats a lie I love that Xbox even though it gets thrown in my face whenever she doesnt get her way. Well worth it.

You deserve a suspension for even joking about that

You should be very ashamed!

One way round it is to buy her a more expensive gift that she will really like then from now until then just say you already have (and have had it for ages.....cuz she is so special..lol) her pressie so it is too late to get her a kitten.

roryk83;2372669

I think bringing her along to get a kitten from a shelter or something is … I think bringing her along to get a kitten from a shelter or something is the best idea - I cant see any other way out of it. You know any other present I get her will produce a dissapointing response no matter how great it is and plus Im thinking I will have to face this dilema at Xmas this year at which point she may have reassessed the situation and be requesting a puppy which will require a lot more day to day maintenance on my behalf

No no and no. You're so wrong mate.... Women are simple (no offence). On her birthday take her out somewhere nice. Go somewhere you know she'll enjoy, take a picnic basket and a blanket if you can -works a treat-. Make it over romantic. Splash out and spend a bit more on her, make her feel loved. Don't let any arguments start and keep her mind off the kitten. At the end of the day she'll feel so loved and be so happy about what you did for her that she won't want to bring up the kitten since she won't want to spoil the mood.

This will only work if you can be romantic, if you can't the just buy her the damn kitten.

Banned

King of Thieves;2372708

No no and no. You're so wrong mate.... Women are simple (no offence). On … No no and no. You're so wrong mate.... Women are simple (no offence). On her birthday take her out somewhere nice. Go somewhere you know she'll enjoy, take a picnic basket and a blanket if you can -works a treat-. Make it over romantic. Splash out and spend a bit more on her, make her feel loved. Don't let any arguments start and keep her mind off the kitten. At the end of the day she'll feel so loved and be so happy about what you did for her that she won't want to bring up the kitten since she won't want to spoil the mood.This will only work if you can be romantic, if you can't the just buy her the damn kitten.

If I hadn't already repped u today, I'd rep u now....

Sheer genius

King of Thieves;2372708

No no and no. You're so wrong mate.... Women are simple (no offence). On … No no and no. You're so wrong mate.... Women are simple (no offence). On her birthday take her out somewhere nice. Go somewhere you know she'll enjoy, take a picnic basket and a blanket if you can -works a treat-. Make it over romantic. Splash out and spend a bit more on her, make her feel loved. Don't let any arguments start and keep her mind off the kitten. At the end of the day she'll feel so loved and be so happy about what you did for her that she won't want to bring up the kitten since she won't want to spoil the mood.This will only work if you can be romantic, if you can't the just buy her the damn kitten.

Wouldn't work i'm afraid :roll:.
    Don't you know that women always get what they want in the end (we r not so simple, we just like you to think you are clever :whistling:)

p.s. dont like that avy either ODB.

Banned

cassieismydoggie;2372735

Wouldn't work i'm afraid :roll:.Don't you know that women always get what … Wouldn't work i'm afraid :roll:.Don't you know that women always get what they want in the end (we r not so simple, we just like you to think you are clever :whistling:)p.s. dont like that avy either ODB.

We just like to let you think that really!

Damn it woman...will you just go back to the other thread and pick one!!!

cassieismydoggie;2372735

Wouldn't work i'm afraid :roll:.Don't you know that women always get what … Wouldn't work i'm afraid :roll:.Don't you know that women always get what they want in the end (we r not so simple, we just like you to think you are clever :whistling:)p.s. dont like that avy either ODB.

Women are hard to understand at first but once you understand them then you realise how simple they are. And believe me that would work, I just left out the end bit since its complicated. But since you're female you might understand..... So its the end of that day and the girls over the moon, roryk83 has managed to not flop anything and the days gone smooth and perfect. They're both winding down rory is twirling his fingers in his girls hair (only works if she likes it, if not then hold hands with intertwining fingers) then rory brings up the cat. He says how he's not sure if she should get a cat since it might cause hassle with the housemates and any other reasons hes got. Then at the end he says (without laughing) that truthfully the main reason he wouldn't want her to get a cat is because he would get to jealous seeing her spend time with the kitten and not with him.

So cassie, you telling me that wouldn't work? ;-)

other thread?

King of Thieves;2372772

Women are hard to understand at first but once you understand them then … Women are hard to understand at first but once you understand them then you realise how simple they are. And believe me that would work, I just left out the end bit since its complicated. But since you're female you might understand..... So its the end of that day and the girls over the moon, roryk83 has managed to not flop anything and the days gone smooth and perfect. They're both winding down rory is twirling his fingers in his girls hair (only works if she likes it, if not then hold hands with intertwining fingers) then rory brings up the cat. He says how he's not sure if she should get a cat since it might cause hassle with the housemates and any other reasons hes got. Then at the end he says (without laughing) that truthfully the main reason he wouldn't want her to get a cat is because he would get to jealous seeing her spend time with the kitten and not with him.So cassie, you telling me that wouldn't work? ;-)

Not a chance, mate ;-)
    If there's something I want, I go get it. But if i reckon i can get a perfect date out of it before hand - all the better.
    Like i said, women let men think they are the clever ones, so 10 out of 10 for tryin :thumbsup:

Lol, fairy nuff cassie.... fairy nuff.

Lets be honest if she really wanted a cat she would of gone and got one by now and Tiffany's last forever! lol

Original Poster

seems the consenus is that I shouldnt get it then.......

Has anybody got any ideas what I can get her then cos otherwise im in the ****!!!!!

Buying jewellery is a nightmare cos she has "kooky" taste which I would translate as unpredictable. Shes not very materalistic either so doesnt go on about things she wants. So basically I need some ideas apart from the norm otherwise ill have no choice but to get the kitten

Banned

Get her one of those hairless ugly ones....she'll hate it and want rid....
    Then she'll never ask u for one again

Banned

Two choices...

Dig the dead one up and give her that

Or..

Have sex with her mother and then dump her

Banned

wierdowoss;2373302

Two choices...Dig the dead one up and give her thatOr..Have sex with her … Two choices...Dig the dead one up and give her thatOr..Have sex with her mother and then dump her

:w00t:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would28104
      2. It is a Yorkshire pudding wrap.1116
      3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047160
      4. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force2032

See more discussions