Biscuit or cake suggestion

Found 16th Dec 2017
For whatever reason, I have ended up with a packet of unopened plain flour and granulated sugar which will never be used. I don't really want to throw them in the bin as it seems wasteful so I am thinking that I could make biscuits or cakes out of them.

I am hopeless in the kitchen so it will need to be simple. I can just about add things together and shove them in the oven, but as the alternative is to throw the stuff out, even if it comes out inedible, I haven't lost anything so I am thinking it is worth having a go and it may actually taste OK.

I also have access to eggs, sultanas and margerine if these are needed.

I have looked on the net and it seems to suggest shortbread as the best option. Any other suggestions or do you think I should go ahead with shortbread? The main objective is to use the plain flour and granulated sugar up.
Community Updates
AskGroceries
53 Comments
Plain flour isn't that good for cakes unless you have another raising agent. You could always drop them off at a food bank.
psychobitchfromhell3 m ago

Plain flour isn't that good for cakes unless you have another raising …Plain flour isn't that good for cakes unless you have another raising agent. You could always drop them off at a food bank.

Do they take opened packets?
adhkarzf1 m ago

Do they take opened packets?

Dunno. Says unopened
@mutley1 shortbread is your best bet even novices should be able to make it. Make sure you use butter though and not margarine massive difference in taste and use salted butter coz it just tastes better.
Whatever you do make sure you use a well greased or lined pan.
Didnt know that. I guess the flour has to raise for cakes. So it has to be biscuits.

Good point about the food bank but they have been in the cupboard for a while so iffy sell by date
adhkarzf6 m ago

@mutley1 shortbread is your best bet even novices should be able to make …@mutley1 shortbread is your best bet even novices should be able to make it. Make sure you use butter though and not margarine massive difference in taste and use salted butter coz it just tastes better.Whatever you do make sure you use a well greased or lined pan.

I read about making shortbread with margarine inatead of butter and the conclusion was that butter tasted best, but made with margarine still tasted great so not that much different.
mutley112 m ago

Didnt know that. I guess the flour has to raise for cakes. So it has to …Didnt know that. I guess the flour has to raise for cakes. So it has to be biscuits. Good point about the food bank but they have been in the cupboard for a while so iffy sell by date

Sugar doesn't have a best before date.
mutley111 m ago

I read about making shortbread with margarine inatead of butter and the …I read about making shortbread with margarine inatead of butter and the conclusion was that butter tasted best, but made with margarine still tasted great so not that much different.

Trust me you want to use butter those saying there's not much difference probably haven't had good butter shortbread margarine is no where near as nice its like the really cheap shortbread you can get which tastes nothing like the proper butter stuff.
adhkarzf9 m ago

Trust me you want to use butter those saying there's not much difference …Trust me you want to use butter those saying there's not much difference probably haven't had good butter shortbread margarine is no where near as nice its like the really cheap shortbread you can get which tastes nothing like the proper butter stuff.

I will try the first batch on margarine and see what it tastes like. I like the really cheap shortbread as i dont like the taste of butter much so it spoils the taste
adhkarzf13 m ago

Sugar doesn't have a best before date.

Didnt know that. You learn something new every day.
You can freeze butter
How's that shortbread coming on
dorey691 h, 19 m ago

You can freeze butter

you can also freeze margarine and bread, and loads of other stuff
Toptrumpet54 m ago

How's that shortbread coming on

i was thinking of saving the experience for christmas day when i am going to be pretty bored as all the shops will be shut
I always make shortbread using Stork, which I think is marge, and it is always lovely
"I have ended up with a packet of unopened plain flour and granulated sugar"-Give to a food bank?

Cake:

125g soft butter or margarine
1 cup sugar
3eggs
1 n half cups flour
1/2 cup milk
2 Tsp Baking Powder
1 Tsp Vanilla Essence
Beat altogether in electric mixer for 5mins EXACTLY ...enpty into mini cupcake pan and bake @180° until lightly golden(10-15mins)
Melt chocolate and pour on top

Lovely flop proof recipe
Make some pastry and buy some mince meat and voila, homemade mince pies.
Blusphere7 m ago

Cake:125g soft butter or margarine1 cup sugar 3eggs1 n half cups flour 1/2 …Cake:125g soft butter or margarine1 cup sugar 3eggs1 n half cups flour 1/2 cup milk 2 Tsp Baking Powder1 Tsp Vanilla EssenceBeat altogether in electric mixer for 5mins EXACTLY ...enpty into mini cupcake pan and bake @180° until lightly golden(10-15mins) Melt chocolate and pour on top Lovely flop proof recipe

Cakes are better with SR flour. Plain wont really work so well.

The best bet is either pastry or biscuits.
mutley14 h, 8 m ago

I read about making shortbread with margarine inatead of butter and the …I read about making shortbread with margarine inatead of butter and the conclusion was that butter tasted best, but made with margarine still tasted great so not that much different.

100% go for butter.
What about a crumble topping?
Gingerbread men?! It’s christmas after all.
Fake snow maybe, throw it over the front lawn.
You could make up a crumble topping mix. Plain flour, sugar and margarine. It freezes well too.
oops just saw SS had suggested a crumble mix.
Edited by: "kt21" 16th Dec 2017
Just chuck it on the floor and roll in it
Blusphere17 h, 47 m ago

Cake:125g soft butter or margarine1 cup sugar 3eggs1 n half cups flour 1/2 …Cake:125g soft butter or margarine1 cup sugar 3eggs1 n half cups flour 1/2 cup milk 2 Tsp Baking Powder1 Tsp Vanilla EssenceBeat altogether in electric mixer for 5mins EXACTLY ...enpty into mini cupcake pan and bake @180° until lightly golden(10-15mins) Melt chocolate and pour on top Lovely flop proof recipe

this looks interesting until i saw 'melt chocolate and pour on top'! i don't like chocolate on biscuits or cakes as i find it spoils everything.

this could be my later projects (without the chocolate) if i like my first go as it sounds a bit too complicated for me, not to mention i have to go and get an electric mixer.
jaffa cake is it a biscuit or a cake you decide
sicklysweet18 h, 9 m ago

Make some pastry and buy some mince meat and voila, homemade mince pies.

i am not a great fan of pies or mincemeat.
sicklysweet18 h, 9 m ago

Gingerbread men?! It’s christmas after all.

don't like gingerbread men. i don't like most food unfortunately.
bingebunny16 h, 37 m ago

Just chuck it on the floor and roll in it

i like this idea for the flour but i am not going to want to roll on the granulated sugar
archer120411 m ago

jaffa cake is it a biscuit or a cake you decide

i would say it is a biscuit as it is flat and is placed in the biscuit section at the supermarkets

i hate chocolate on my cake or biscuit, but i actually like jaffa cake even though it has a chocolate covering, odd

metro.co.uk/201…03/
mutley11 h, 49 m ago

i like this idea for the flour but i am not going to want to roll on the …i like this idea for the flour but i am not going to want to roll on the granulated sugar

why not?
Granulated sugar is just like sand..... need @mutley1 explain more?
mutley11 h, 51 m ago

i would say it is a biscuit as it is flat and is placed in the biscuit …i would say it is a biscuit as it is flat and is placed in the biscuit section at the supermarkets i hate chocolate on my cake or biscuit, but i actually like jaffa cake even though it has a chocolate covering, odd http://metro.co.uk/2015/05/25/jaffa-cakes-are-not-cakes-10-reasons-why-the-jaffa-is-a-biscuit-5194703/

So whys it called a jaffa cake and not jaffa biscuit
Use the flour to make salt dough Christmas decorations. Eat the sugar while the decorations are going hard.
Shortbread. Easy.
Toptrumpet41 m ago

Granulated sugar is just like sand..... need @mutley1 explain more?

gritty sand at that. if it was caster sugar, it may have been fine to roll in along with the flour
archer120445 m ago

So whys it called a jaffa cake and not jaffa biscuit

they foresaw the future on taxation when they named it?

wikipedia excerpt:

Categorisation as cake or biscuit for VAT
In the United Kingdom, value added tax is payable on chocolate-covered biscuits, but not on chocolate-covered cakes.[12] McVities defended its classification of Jaffa Cakes as cakes at a VAT tribunal in 1991, against the ruling that Jaffa Cakes were biscuits due to their size and shape, and the fact that they were often eaten in place of biscuits.[13] McVities insisted that the product was a cake, and allegedly produced a giant Jaffa Cake in court to illustrate its point.[13] The product was assessed on the following criteria:[14][15]

The product's name was regarded as a minor consideration.
The ingredients were regarded as similar to those of a cake, producing a thin cake-like batter rather than the thick dough of a biscuit.
The product's texture was regarded as being that of a sponge cake.
The product hardens when stale, in the manner of a cake.
A substantial part of the Jaffa Cake, in terms of bulk and texture, is sponge.
In size, the Jaffa Cake is more like a biscuit than a cake.
The product was generally displayed for sale alongside other biscuits, rather than with cakes.
The product is presented as a snack and eaten with the fingers, like a biscuit, rather than with a fork as a cake might be. The tribunal also considered that children would eat them in "a few mouthfuls", in the manner of a sweet.
The court found in favour of McVitie's and ruled that the product should be considered a cake, meaning that VAT is not paid on Jaffa Cakes in the United Kingdom.[12][16]

In Ireland, Jaffa Cakes are regarded as cakes by Revenue as their moisture content is greater than 12%. As a result, they are charged the reduced rate of VAT (13.5% as of 2016).[17]
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants