Groups

Bit of a long shot

Is anyone on here an oncologist, and can help me, im trying to wrtie a disetation on curing cancer and its driving me up the wall.

30 Comments

No wonder, you can barely spell. :lol:

what do you want to know? im not an oncologist but a biomedical scientist

Original Poster

Sheep87;5052192

what do you want to know? im not an oncologist but a biomedical scientist

thats what im studying to be

radiotherapy mainly

Original Poster

moob;5052185

No wonder, you can barely spell. :lol:

i know i dotn check my spelling before i post asnd tbh its the last thing on my mind right now

shosie;5052263

thats what im studying to be

ah i probably wont be more help than you would be!

Original Poster

Sheep87;5052276

ah i probably wont be more help than you would be!

im only in my first year just now tho'

shosie;5052319

im only in my first year just now tho'

what do you need to know about cancer?

shosie;5052272

i know i dotn check my spelling before i post asnd tbh its the last thing … i know i dotn check my spelling before i post asnd tbh its the last thing on my mind right now

I can see that. :lol:

I'd imagine if you're writing a dissertation this would not be the best place to ask - you will need to get your head into some medical journals and stay off HUKD!

Original Poster

Sheep87;5052326

what do you need to know about cancer?

trying to find help with radiotherapy related things
    moob;5052333

I can see that. :lol:I'd imagine if you're writing a dissertation this … I can see that. :lol:I'd imagine if you're writing a dissertation this would not be the best place to ask - you will need to get your head into some medical journals and stay off HUKD!

yeah lol dunno if you have ever read a medical journal but after reading about 5 or 6 i feeli know less than when i started

It can't be a dissertation if you're only in 1st year though - is this just an assignment paper for a credit?

Dissertations are only usually done in your final year.

Regardless, pretty sure you'll have to reference everthing you put down, so I'd reckon the lecturer would not look kindly on 'Some bloke called Sheep87 on HUKD - web address [url]www.etc.com[/url]'.

You should start by finding a decent textbook - this will give you the necessary background understanding so that you can then look for relevant journal articles using Medline (Pubmed)

shosie;5052419

yeah lol dunno if you have ever read a medical journal but after reading … yeah lol dunno if you have ever read a medical journal but after reading about 5 or 6 i feeli know less than when i started

Tell me about it - I read hundreds when I did my dissertation - no exaggeration!

As its only a 1st year paper, I'd recommend reading someone else's work on the topic at hand and then blatantly plagiarising it - that's what most 1st years do!

Original Poster

moob;5052445

It can't be a dissertation if you're only in 1st year though - is this … It can't be a dissertation if you're only in 1st year though - is this just an assignment paper for a credit?Dissertations are only usually done in your final year.Regardless, pretty sure you'll have to reference everthing you put down, so I'd reckon the lecturer would not look kindly on 'Some bloke called Sheep87 on HUKD - web address [url]www.etc.com[/url]'.

its called a graded unit not to far away from a dissertation, its to be AROUND THE 5k word mark. Lol well yuou never know ever souce is valid if refrenced

Original Poster

gari189;5052469

You should start by finding a decent textbook - this will give you the … You should start by finding a decent textbook - this will give you the necessary background understanding so that you can then look for relevant journal articles using Medline (Pubmed)

me course has kind of covered the relevant information but not in great detail have a few texts books.

[QUOTE=shosie;5052419]trying to find help with radiotherapy related things
    /QUOTE]

what specifically is your dissertation about?

Original Poster

moob;5052486

Tell me about it - I read hundreds when I did my dissertation - no … Tell me about it - I read hundreds when I did my dissertation - no exaggeration!As its only a 1st year paper, I'd recommend reading someone else's work on the topic at hand and then blatantly plagiarising it - that's what most 1st years do!

ive signed a contract saying i wouldnt,

Original Poster

Sheep87;5052534

[QUOTE=shosie;5052419]trying to find help with radiotherapy related … [QUOTE=shosie;5052419]trying to find help with radiotherapy related things/QUOTE]what specifically is your dissertation about?

my title is

Finding a cure for cancer: Past present and future treatments

shosie;5052563

[QUOTE=Sheep87;5052534]my title isFinding a cure for cancer: Past present … [QUOTE=Sheep87;5052534]my title isFinding a cure for cancer: Past present and future treatments

hiya, i would recommend a program called papers, if you have a mac.
    if not, the main treatments, or the most modern are to do with monoclonal antibodies that detect myeloma cells( in a nutshell). also try researching radio imaging (also can be related to antibodies)

shosie;5052563

[QUOTE=Sheep87;5052534]my title isFinding a cure for cancer: Past present … [QUOTE=Sheep87;5052534]my title isFinding a cure for cancer: Past present and future treatments

OK thats good, you can split it into sections:

Past treatments
    Present Treatments - Drug types including all the types of chemothearputics and Monoclonal therapies, also remember to include COX2 antagonists as these are now used in the treatment of colon cancer as it has been founf that COX-2 antagonists have an anticancer effect. Also surgery and radiotherapy. Also write about the HPV vaccine againt cervical intraepithelial neoplasia

In future treatments, you can look further into Monoclonal antibody based therapies that are in production, gene silencing, also look up a drug called ONYX-015 which is a viral based treatment for ovarial and colon cancer. Hope this helps

Original Poster

dantheman3989;5052659

[QUOTE=shosie;5052563]hiya, i would recommend a program called papers, if … [QUOTE=shosie;5052563]hiya, i would recommend a program called papers, if you have a mac.if not, the main treatments, or the most modern are to do with monoclonal antibodies that detect myeloma cells( in a nutshell). also try researching radio imaging (also can be related to antibodies)

thnaks done a section on the monoclonal anti body herceptin, ill try radioimagining. Repped.:thumbsup:

shosie;5052711

[QUOTE=dantheman3989;5052659]thnaks done a section on the monoclonal anti … [QUOTE=dantheman3989;5052659]thnaks done a section on the monoclonal anti body herceptin, ill try radioimagining. Repped.:thumbsup:

no worries theres a website where you get all books and images etc for free
    [url]www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/[/url]
    the best website you will ever use for research

Original Poster

Sheep87;5052704

[QUOTE=shosie;5052563]OK thats good, you can split it into sections:Past … [QUOTE=shosie;5052563]OK thats good, you can split it into sections:Past treatmentsPresent Treatments - Drug types including all the types of chemothearputics and Monoclonal therapies, also remember to include COX2 antagonists as these are now used in the treatment of colon cancer as it has been founf that COX-2 antagonists have an anticancer effect. Also surgery and radiotherapy. Also write about the HPV vaccine againt cervical intraepithelial neoplasiaIn future treatments, you can look further into Monoclonal antibody based therapies that are in production, gene silencing, also look up a drug called ONYX-015 which is a viral based treatment for ovarial and colon cancer. Hope this helps

thanks ill give that a try too. repped aswell

There are many new MAb therapies being developed or are in late stage clinical trials, i can try and dig out a few names if you need?

anyone heard about the t4 phage trials using the genes that target myeloma dividing cells

Original Poster

Sheep87;5052736

There are many new MAb therapies being developed or are in late stage … There are many new MAb therapies being developed or are in late stage clinical trials, i can try and dig out a few names if you need?

if yah like but ive got laodz to get one with now

shosie;5052756

if yah like but ive got laodz to get one with now

Ok no worries, Good luck! BTW first year counts for **** all, just wing through it and concentrate on 2nd and final years, they are hard!

Original Poster

dantheman3989;5052754

anyone heard about the t4 phage trials using the genes that target … anyone heard about the t4 phage trials using the genes that target myeloma dividing cells

arent phages more commonly associated with bactretial infection?

shosie;5052774

arent phages more commonly associated with bactretial infection?

yep, but they are using them with attached immunoflourescence proteins, dont take my word for it, sounds extremely iffy to me, but im sure i read it some where

Original Poster

Sheep87;5052769

Ok no worries, Good luck! BTW first year counts for **** all, just wing … Ok no worries, Good luck! BTW first year counts for **** all, just wing through it and concentrate on 2nd and final years, they are hard!

well it kinda does cos im doing my firest year at college gotta get all my 15 credits and a B in the dissertation to get into year 2 at uni

dantheman3989;5052809

yep, but they are using them with attached immunoflourescence proteins, … yep, but they are using them with attached immunoflourescence proteins, dont take my word for it, sounds extremely iffy to me, but im sure i read it some where

ill have a look :thumbsup:

shosie;5052858

well it kinda does cos im doing my firest year at college gotta get all … well it kinda does cos im doing my firest year at college gotta get all my 15 credits and a B in the dissertation to get into year 2 at uniill have a look :thumbsup:

its ok lol, i wouldnt use it in a marked piece, im probably wrong.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What would be HELL to you?2634
      2. Tesco vouchers?11
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767345
      4. word association Game73944515

See more discussions