Expired

Bit of advice for car insurance claims

Found 28th May 2011
So today I was at a set of lights behind another car. I put myself into 1st gear to prepare to move but accidentally hit the gas and went straight into the car in front. L

Sigh.

My question is, they will prolly need a new bumper as it popped out at the left. No dent, but the paintwork has tiny scratches on it.

I've got no doubt they will go to their insurers so I'm expecting a claim, but can anyone offer advice here? What will be my cost? Will I have to pay my excess, or just the voluntary excess part? Or will it be the cost of the other persons excess?

Or will it be no cost since I'm not needing any repairs to my car?

Thanks
Community Updates
16 Comments
If you don't claim on your own car, you don't pay your excess - but your insurer will get you back when it comes to renewal.

You'll be contacted by their insurer to admit liability - don't - except let your insurer deal with them.

In fact it's better you contact them before speaking to anyone as soon as they call you up.
You could always ask the other person, if they seemed reasonable and you can afford it, if they wouldn't mind you paying for the bumper to be resprayed instead of going through insurance. If they agree then it could save you money in the long run via insurance premiums.
The issue unfortunately may not be just the bumper but and crumple damage behind the bumper. You dont say how fast you hit nor how old the other car is. If it is relatively new they will likely go through their insurance. In theory you will have already exchanged details. If they claim through their insurance and it is decided it is not a 50 / 50 claim ( Sounds if it is not ) all you will pay is your excess as stated in your policy. That can be made up of 2 parts. Compulsary excess and Voluntary excess. If you have both that is what you will pay. Their Ins Co will contact yours and sort it all out.. You just get the bill for the excess. If they are going to claim you need to tell your insurers what has happened. Do you have protected no claims on your policy ? That should save you a big increase next year over and above the standard increases on renewal. This year was about 30 percent... If their insurers contact you refer them to your company. As above do not admit anything or tell them anything....Hope this helps...
Edited by: "grimm6" 28th May 2011
Am sure you said "they reversed into you " on a serious note just hope they don't start with the whiplash scam it happend to me and my insurance went up
Personally, I would ask the person if they would be willing to let you pay for the damage, because at the end of the day, even though it was not their fault, the insurance for them will also go up next year, so it may be worth not claiming on both sides. Give them a call you never know.
Original Poster
@Grimm

I was going at about 2mph. I was behind them at lights and foot slipped and the car shot forward. (Im going to start using my handbrake a bit more often now to stop something like this.

The damage is minimal. I'll put a photo up shortly. Need to blur her registration out.

As for denying it, I had about 100 people who saw me hit her. It was on Argyle street in Glasgow. Busy busy place.

All I'm really wondering is, my car has a tiny nick on the front, so if I'm going to have to pay £400 to pay her damage, then I might as well stick my car in to get sorted as well since I won't be paying anymore than £400.

But then @moob said in the first reply, I wouldn't pay her excess but I'll see a major increase in my polic renewal. If that's the case, then so be it.
hippyharry

@GrimmBut then @moob said in the first reply, I wouldn't pay her excess … @GrimmBut then @moob said in the first reply, I wouldn't pay her excess but I'll see a major increase in my polic renewal. If that's the case, then so be it.

You wont pay anything.
HOWEVER, both your insurance and the insurance of the person who was hit WILL go up.

If the damage is really minimal they may not even claim. as they will have to pay their excess
someone hit me up the rear at speed, my insurance didn't go up.
Just to clarify -as a retired car insurance claims handler - if you don't claim for the damage to your car then you do not have to pay anything even if the third party i.e. the person in the car you hit makes a claim on their insurance.!!! - you only pay excess if you claim for the damage to your own car. In this claim which is definately your fault, the third party will make a claim with his/her own insurance, they will then write to your insurance to establish liability. Once liability had been established ( after receiving your version of event, so you must tell your insurance about this accident regardless of you making a claim for your damage) the othersides insurance will claim for all of the damage to the other persons car including their excess from your insurance ( in the event of a non fault claim then the other side is entitled to reclaim their excess back from the your insurance company) You will not have to pay anything unless you claim for your car. Obviously by having a "fault" accident then your premiums may well go up next year and you will lose 2 years no claims bonus at renewal unless you have protected no claims bonus. (this is because a claim will have been made and money will have been paid out to the other sides insurance company) hope this clarifies this for you!!!
Original Poster
@christinemerlot

Thank you! Brilliant response. Thats put my mind at ease, and I know its definitely my fault. Just nice to now know that when they do start the claim against me, then I know I wont have to pay any excess and any "damage" done to my driving history will be reflected in my insurance renewal.

Thanks again!

Here was the damage I caused.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/248813_10150628253880471_507605470_18741245_3729167_n.jpg
Dear all,
Just wanted to seek your thoughts. I was reversing my car out of the garage at less than 5 mph, infact it was like virtually not moving. But yes it bumped into another white van , I am not sure about 2 things
1) this was a private drive way and why on earth was he there with his white van on my private drive way
2) I am not sure whether his car was stationary or parked as he was seated inside the car.
Now there is slight dent in my car, which cost me 75 pounds to get rid of the dent. In his case there was a minor dent which was " Just visible"
We spoke, exchanged our contact numbers, Nothing for nearly weeks as we both did decided it was nothing to claim or pursue.

Now after 4 weeks I receive a letter from his insurance company, with the name of my "wife" strangely rather than addressing to me and "Surname"also incorrect asking me to report this to my insurance company.

Can someone please advise, what should I be doing. I will definitely be contacting my insurance company.
You should be watching where you are going and then you won't "bump" into things , count yourself lucky as it could of been a young kid who's ball accidentally bounced onto your drive and he stepped on it to retrieve it
you are to blame ...end of !
I was with you until you 'hit the gas'.
willhay555

I was with you until you 'hit the gas'.

Dont be silly
http://img.thesun.co.uk/aidemitlum/archive/00971/SNN2221A-280_971205a.jpg
This is why she/He crashed
Edited by: "djnaff" 17th Apr 2016
Raviik1

Dear all,Just wanted to seek your thoughts. I was reversing my car out … Dear all,Just wanted to seek your thoughts. I was reversing my car out of the garage at less than 5 mph, infact it was like virtually not moving. But yes it bumped into another white van , I am not sure about 2 things1) this was a private drive way and why on earth was he there with his white van on my private drive way 2) I am not sure whether his car was stationary or parked as he was seated inside the car.Now there is slight dent in my car, which cost me 75 pounds to get rid of the dent. In his case there was a minor dent which was " Just visible"We spoke, exchanged our contact numbers, Nothing for nearly weeks as we both did decided it was nothing to claim or pursue. Now after 4 weeks I receive a letter from his insurance company, with the name of my "wife" strangely rather than addressing to me and "Surname"also incorrect asking me to report this to my insurance company.Can someone please advise, what should I be doing. I will definitely be contacting my insurance company.

Talk to your insurance company about it, it's what you pay them for.
My son kissed a car on 05\08 and the other driver said he wasn't even going to get out of his car until he saw my son approaching his van. My son gave him his mobile number but the gentleman said he couldn't see anything so they shook hands and parted company. I did not report this as he had said there was no damage to his vehicle, but has now submitted a claim. I have asked my insurer to dispute his claim but they have refused. The incident took place prior to my insurance renewal on the 17/08 with another insurer. I only received the letter 2 weeks ago from my previous insurer and have been in constant contact to dispute any damage caused by this what can only be described as a (kiss). I have since taken out a new policy with an alternative insurer stating 1years no claims. If my previous insurer refuses to protest his claim where do I stand when I honestly believe his claim to be fraudulent but Police Scotland has said as the cars did make contact an accident has taken place so I cannot accuse him of fraud. HELP!!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants