Bit of Paypal advice, pretty please?

Found 7th Mar 2009
Hi all.

I will make the story as short as possible:

Sold my daughter's Hooch coat on eBay, stated in the auction that that inside lining had come apart slightly.
Sold for £20.98 including postage.
Sent it via recorded delivery.
Buyer received the coat and complained that the lining was worse than she expected so she wants to return it.
I didn't want to let her but was worried about getting a neg feedback so told her she can but I wouldn't refund the postage as I disagreed with what she said.
Now, she says she returned it but I haven't received it back.
Kept emailing me, I told her I haven't received it, so now she has started a Paypal dispute stating that the item was 'significantly not as described' and they have taken the full amount from my balance on 'temporary hold' until the matter is resolved.

Now I obviously am not going to agree to refund her, but I have the option to either: Decline this refund request but continue communicating with buyer, or
Escalate this dispute to a PayPal claim.

So, should I just escalate it now? The coat definitely wasn't SIGNIFICANTLY not as described and I also have a feeling that she hasn't sent it back via recorded delivery

Any advice would be grateful please? Thanks

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
10 Comments

Decline the refund and start talking to her.

Take issue with the fact she didn't get a postage receipt.

Good luck.

take it further , she needs proof of postage , or if i remember rightly paypal wont refund,, but i would def take it further . do not refund her till u have goods back and just tell truth to paypal

Paypal will ask the buyer for a picture of the item, only prob is they could make it worse so any pic you have off them item make sure you keep it. If they have told paypal they have sent it back they have to prove that they have.
I would contact the buyer and ask for the recorded delivery number so you can check online and tell them you are going to escalate the claim to paypal if the matter cannot be resolved.
A dispute like this can go either way depending on how paypal feels that day lol.
As long as you are honest and keep things civil and keep all emails you should hopefully be fine.

If they've not sent it back via a trackable method (I think recorded delivery is still the minimum) then I don't believe Paypal will give them a refund although there is the possibility they're claiming they sent it back but have kept it. Did the auction have any pictures of the coat?

John

How about using someone like square trade to sort the problem out? im not sure if the buyer has to open a case or you can do it as a seller, they seem to sort out problems with less chance of negative feedback being left,

Original Poster

Thanks all.

I am not willing to refund her just like that, I have the following options: try to resolve the dispute with her or I can escalate it to the claim process myself:

http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt48/mrszerrouk/paypal.jpg

I asked her for the tracking number but she didn't reply, just opened the Paypal claim instead. That's why I assume she just sent it via standard method.

The auction just had a photo of the coat from the outside, I didn't have one of the inside, so just described it instead. I would assume that the buyer cannot provide a photo either as she said she has sent it back already.

I just don't know if I should be the one to escalate the claim as that may look better on me, or whether I should just try and carry on as we are, but don't seem to be really getting anywhere.

Practically every day she has emailed me to tell me she is going to contact ebay if I don't refund her and I have told her that I haven't got the coat back yet so ain't refunding her, then when I ask her for some useful info (the tracing number) she ignores me.

not the same opinion as others i know...

but personally i'd chalk this up to experience and let her have the money.

customer satisfaction always comes first.

speaking as a person who has been self-employed for 12 yrs now, client opinion is of paramount importance.

Paypal will refund the whole amount including the original postage but not the return postage this is paypal rules if the item is not as described. paypal will tell the buyer to send back via a traceable/trackable service if not and it gets lost paypal will find in your favour if a dispute is opened this is all you need to know.
Ps my views are she is trying it on big time just call her bluff ebay is full of these type of people.

To get a refund from paypal she needs to send it back via recorded delivery, if she didn't it's her own fault and I'm fairly sure paypal will find in your favour. My guess is she hasn't sent it back, but wants the refund without having to pay for returning it. Refuse the refund until you get the coat back, why should you have no coat and no money?

ChipSticks;4575447

To get a refund from paypal she needs to send it back via recorded … To get a refund from paypal she needs to send it back via recorded delivery, if she didn't it's her own fault and I'm fairly sure paypal will find in your favour. My guess is she hasn't sent it back, but wants the refund without having to pay for returning it. Refuse the refund until you get the coat back, why should you have no coat and no money?

yes i agree , just escalate to paypal , as she has no proof she will loose.
Post a comment
@
    Text