Groups

Bit of quick Paypal advice please?

Evening all, know its late but hoping someone can advise.

Listed an item BIN on eBay, someone just bought it and paid me through Paypal.

Buyer is in France has been registered since 2007 but has no feedback.

Paypal page states that I am eligible for seller protection but how does this work? Am I taking any risk in sending the item?

Thank you!

26 Comments

send it internationally signed for - (if item is worth it ) charge her for it - your covered then

definitely send it signed for, but it seems a bit dodgy because they have been registered since 2007

Ive sent a lot of stuff abroad to europe etc and never had a problem and never had to send it signed for.

Original Poster

I have charged for signed for delivery anyways, but just wondered where I stand if the transaction turns out to be dodgy? :thinking:
    Won't be sending it out tomorrow anyway, will leave it till Monday at least but just wondered what happens to me if it all goes wrong

nothing! You'll be fine to send it, signed for if you want but the payment has gone through so they cant go back on that

whats the item number?
    Or more details .... is it small? breakable? If you are worried about being neg..ed.. then you are already in a risk selling " worldwide" , safer just UK... experience tells me that as the European post office is no where near as efficient as ours.. believe it or not... I would take holly100's advice.... but you still risk neg if they do not agree if postage is more. If you wish to sell worldwide in the future then make sure your postage is quoted at the amount it is going to be to cover yourself.
    This does not answer your question... sorry, but i do not get /understand seller protection... will be watching this post... GL

Original Poster

wonkey;5275885

nothing! You'll be fine to send it, signed for if you want but the … nothing! You'll be fine to send it, signed for if you want but the payment has gone through so they cant go back on that

You are supposed to get a signature even in the UK anyway incase the buyer claims not to have received the item (paypal would want proof of delivery)

The payment could be taken back from me if it is later claimed to be a fraudulent transaction, such as using someone elses bank details

I agree with the posts above - I would send it recorded. That way if it is signed for, the buyer is unlikely to claim that it was not received.If they did, Paypal will investigate it & as long as you have proof that the item was delivered, it is unlikely that the buyer gets their money back. If a claim was made by the buyer, it may just mean that your money may be held by Paypal a while until resolved (claims can take around a month sometimes). Hope that helps.

Banned

Mrs.Z;5275873

I have charged for signed for delivery anyways, but just wondered where I … I have charged for signed for delivery anyways, but just wondered where I stand if the transaction turns out to be dodgy? :thinking:Won't be sending it out tomorrow anyway, will leave it till Monday at least but just wondered what happens to me if it all goes wrong

its bank hol on monday

Original Poster

jonb2412;5275905

whats the item number?Or more details .... is it small? breakable? If … whats the item number?Or more details .... is it small? breakable? If you are worried about being neg..ed.. then you are already in a risk selling " worldwide" , safer just UK... experience tells me that as the European post office is no where near as efficient as ours.. believe it or not... I would take holly100's advice.... but you still risk neg if they do not agree if postage is more. If you wish to sell worldwide in the future then make sure your postage is quoted at the amount it is going to be to cover yourself. This does not answer your question... sorry, but i do not get /understand seller protection... will be watching this post... GL

Thanks for the advice. I charged £7.49 for delivery to the EU to cover Signed for International service anyway. I have never had an international item go astray in the post so am not too worried about that, I am just worried about the transaction being reversed on me

Item was a new Little Big Planet sackboy soft teddy thingy

Original Poster

bykergrove;5275912

its bank hol on monday

Oh yeah ok ok you get my drift though, right?

Original Poster

Sorry, guys, just read my OP - meant to state that I am worried about the buyer being dodgy, not it going missing. Item will be sent recorded delivery (if I do send it)

i never send out of the UK due to the fact paypal are pita and can't trust the foreigh PO systems, if i do send outside i send it courier such as fedex or dhl(more expensive but gonna get there)

what category did you put yours under .... i can't make up find, soft toys, merchandise or ps3

You should really send it by Airsure, rather than International Signed For

If there is a problem, Paypal will only cover you if you have proof of delivery that is trackable online - Airsure should give you this, International Signed for possibly/probably won't (it is only guaranteed to be tracked until it leaves the UK).

Also, remember that compensation with any Airmail service is only up to £36, unless you pay for the extra ........(£2 on top I think)

As has been pointed out, any tracked service is only to the edge of the UK, and will only prove that it left the country, and not that it reached the buyer. Paypal will refund.

I will not send anywhere other than the UK.

Original Poster

But the buyer does sign with Inernational signed for, dont they?

Mrs.Z;5276614

But the buyer does sign with Inernational signed for, dont they?

Yes - but you won't necessarily get proof of this - something you will need for Paypal if the buyer does a chargeback -

From the Post Office website:

We track all International Signed For™ items until they leave the UK and t … We track all International Signed For™ items until they leave the UK and then the item is handed over to the destination country's postal service as a priority item. However, we can’t track your International Signed For™ item all the way to delivery in every instance or always be able to provide a confirmation of delivery.

Airsure operates to a number of European countries (including France) and the website states:

We track all Airsure® items until they leave the UK and then the item is … We track all Airsure® items until they leave the UK and then the item is handed over to the destination country's postal service as a priority item. In most circumstances you will also be able to get electronic confirmation of delivery via Track & Trace.

Access to the track and trace facility is what Paypal will require if there is a chargeback on the sale. Without it, you would be have no proof of delivery that Paypal would accept. Trust me, it has happened to me a few times :whistling:

Other option is to use a courier service, through something like Interparcel - probably going to cost a bit though, even for a small item. I just sent an NES console to Italy via DHL Europlus (booked through Interparcel) - it cost me £25, but has insurance, and is trackable online to the destination.

EDIT: I don't think Interparcel would be an option - even a small under 1kg parcel to France is coming up as £15. Worth bearing in mind for heavy, valuable items in the future though. Go for Airsure. :thumbsup:

Mrs.Z;5275919

Thanks for the advice. I charged £7.49 for delivery to the EU to cover … Thanks for the advice. I charged £7.49 for delivery to the EU to cover Signed for International service anyway. I have never had an international item go astray in the post so am not too worried about that, I am just worried about the transaction being reversed on meItem was a new Little Big Planet sackboy soft teddy thingy

werent those available free?

Original Poster

dealzonwheelz;5276742

werent those available free?

Erm... :whistling:

Original Poster

dancrawley;5276681

Yes - but you won't necessarily get proof of this - something you will … Yes - but you won't necessarily get proof of this - something you will need for Paypal if the buyer does a chargeback - From the Post Office website:Airsure operates to a number of European countries (including France) and the website states:Access to the track and trace facility is what Paypal will require if there is a chargeback on the sale. Without it, you would be have no proof of delivery that Paypal would accept. Trust me, it has happened to me a few times :whistling:Other option is to use a courier service, through something like Interparcel - probably going to cost a bit though, even for a small item. I just sent an NES console to Italy via DHL Europlus (booked through Interparcel) - it cost me £25, but has insurance, and is trackable online to the destination.EDIT: I don't think Interparcel would be an option - even a small under 1kg parcel to France is coming up as £15. Worth bearing in mind for heavy, valuable items in the future though. Go for Airsure. :thumbsup:

Thank you VERY much - will definitely use Airsure because of your advice

No problem - hope it all goes smoothly for you :thumbsup:

ah i see,profiteering on ebay from a freebie advertised on here and now you're bothered about whether they do a chargeback

thats classic

dealzonwheelz;5279919

ah i see,profiteering on ebay from a freebie advertised on here

And what's wrong with that?

you didn't quote everything i typed,dont you see the irony

they never paid for it in the first place so won't lose anything if the deal goes belly up

Original Poster

dealzonwheelz;5281820

you didn't quote everything i typed,dont you see the irony they never … you didn't quote everything i typed,dont you see the irony they never paid for it in the first place so won't lose anything if the deal goes belly up

Yeah, of course I feel that but that doesn't mean I want to pay postage to send it as a present to some random French guy! :w00t:

BTW, I didn't order the sackboy with the intention of selling it, but when I read on here that they are going for silly money on eBay I thought "Result!" :giggle:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764430
      2. Any PS4 News Here29213630
      3. Are these two things distinctly different to you?25101
      4. WONGA REFUNDS DUE186925

See more discussions