Bitterwallet/Dealspwn/Playpennies/Mobot Editor Discussion

Found 4th Jan 2011
Just sticking this thread up for anyone who wanted to discuss the current merits/de-merits of the current HUKD blog editors, who it's been revealed are actually being paid for their contributions.

It's a shame that a site that has many very knowledgeable members of the community settles for, what is at times, substandard writing from their blog writers.

Background info:
I had a fairly innocuous post removed from the Mobot thread for being off topic, which is understandable.

Seeing as there was an open invite to discuss this in Misc, i made this thread.

Please try to keep any replies reasonable...

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
30 Comments

Original Poster

Original thread:
hotukdeals.com/fee…646

My original post:

Eldini

Hopefully this blunt view doesnt get moderated, but i feel like it needs … Hopefully this blunt view doesnt get moderated, but i feel like it needs to be said...You guys actually pay your editors? In that case have you considered sacking half the Dealspwn/Playpennies/Bitterwallet writers and hiring better people for the job, or at the very least insist on better quality writing from them?In one sense i'm glad that they aren't just contributing free content to this site, which must be turning a fair profit considering all the expansions. On the other hand it's quite disturbing someone's getting paid for some of the junk that's being written

emmajk42

Removing off topic, again. Feel free to discuss whatever you want in … Removing off topic, again. Feel free to discuss whatever you want in misc.

I dont know anything about that as i dont bother reading them, but branston beans 4 pack is £1 in asda again

Banned

well if they didn't get paid this way, they would be on the dole for sure

Without mentioning which blog writers you feel are "substandard", unless you really insist on doing so, what specifically do you find incorrect in the writing?

What experience do you have to judge their contributions? Perhaps you should apply for a writing position?

BFN,

fp.

Banned

fanpages

Without mentioning which blog writers you feel are "substandard", unless … Without mentioning which blog writers you feel are "substandard", unless you really insist on doing so, what specifically do you find incorrect in the writing?What experience do you have to judge their contributions? Perhaps you should apply for a writing position?BFN,fp.

+1, i'd be interested to hear what exactly is considered sub-standard.

Im a digital analyst/strategist and write a fair amount of articles on digital media.
I occasionally read the dealspwn and bitterwallet blogs and use this site religiously but haven't really come across anything i'd highlight as an issue, then again im not a journalist so if it's a grammar query maybe i can't write for sh** either.

you seem to have a problem with them getting paid. You only now seem to question quality because they are getting paid.

Supermod

What difference does the odd typo/spelling mistake make when the sites help many people?

Also, what difference does it make that they are getting paid? They no doubt spend quite some considerable time dealing with requests and articles so it is only right that they are rewarded, surely?

Personally, I find bitterwallet amusing but I'm looking forward to reading some of your vastly superior work eldini. Could you please post links to some if you've got time between all the volunteer work you must do?

Of course they should be paid and if you think the writing is sub-standard then you're entitled to your opinion. End of the day you don't have to look at the other sites.

Banned

I find it brilliant that the mods of the site just simply move the thread to misc and say 'discuss what you like in misc' knowing that members will rip apart anyone that bad mouths HotUK or it's networks.

In a lot of forums the power of community is somewhat lost due to censorship, moderators and in most cases, corporate empowerment.

I enjoy reading the loose tone on blogs as blogs should be pure opinions and not guardian esq articles. There are a ridiculous amount of members on this site and you are never going to please everyone; but it's clear the majority are more than happy.

In my opinion (and that's all it is), maintaining and creating new content and discussions for us to interact with is time consuming and takes man hours. Of course they should get paid, rewarded and praised, because if it wasn't for them we wouldn't continue re-visiting.

HotUK FTW!

Banned

Don't know but i've reported them all to inland revenue. Hope they've declared their earnings

If you look at the diversity between Bitterwallet, Play Pennies and Dealspwn; you will note that each has it's own niche and target audience. Coupled with this are their writing styles which appear to complement their demographic - Dealspwn is very matter-of-fact, Play Pennies is friendly and welcoming and Bitter Wallet is....er.... Bitter Wallet.

I, too, am surprised by the knowledge that the contributors are paid as I was under the impression that the 'staff' consisted of free-lance writers and journalists chewing the fat in their downtime.

I have no issues with any of them, in fact, Bitter Wallet is my favourite as it has an anarchic tone and senseless fanbase that really gives it feeling of community - especially amongst it's anonymous commentators. As a reader, I'm glad they haven't toned down their subject matter or humour in favour of appeasing a 'wider/family audience' - having said that if Right To Reply was still going and had jurisdiction over blogs - that fella with the tasche who used to present it would be having kittens.

Sort of.

I quite like the dealspawn/bitterwallet posts, no interest in play pennies so never read it.

The one comment I would have is that the community management is terrible, I've never seen the writer respond to comment - even when someone is pointing out a mistake. It seems that the posts are very much fire and forgot and they never both to check the discussion taking place on posts. This means that something is really lacking and for that I don't really bother with the site. I just can't understand why the writers wouldn't engage with the readers.

As stated originally, no problem with the content itself.

Sloth/Mod

People being paid for working..........oh my days!!!

Once we've finished with the nutty professor in Bristol then onto HUKD Towers

http://a1.twimg.com/profile_images/115374541/mob_small_bigger.gif

Syzable

People being paid for working..........oh my days!!!Once we've finished … People being paid for working..........oh my days!!!Once we've finished with the nutty professor in Bristol then onto HUKD Towers

If hyperbole was a post on a messageboard...

Original Poster

Guys, I'm not trying to claim I'm God's gift to blog writing/editing, infact the only one of those blogs i think i could do a semi-adequate job on would be Dealspwn. That doesn't stop me from being able to recognise poor quality or misleading writing, or know that there are many people in need of work who could do a better job.

I just find it disappointing that in a community full of knowledgeable members, who regularly provide fantastic advice, that these are the blogs that are being promoted and paid for.

I'm not disputing that it's right for someone who regularly contributes articles to this website to get paid, considering the profits this site must make.
My point is the standard of writers could and should be improved.

And you're right Gari189, that's why i usually don't read those blogs, other than when a link on the HUKD homepage catches my eye.
It just feels like a missed opportunity to me, especially considering there are bound to be many quality candidates in the HUKD userbase who could do a better job if they were just aware these gigs were full-time paid positions.

I guess i should be used to seeing people being rewarded for poor quality work by now.
Or maybe i just have a minority opinion here. I had the feeling this was a common sentiment based on the negative comments you often see on those blog posts, and the amount of people who "liked" my post on the previous thread before it was deleted.

Guess i should have proof read my post before it was torn apart word-by-word by the HUKD masses =p

Edit: Typos still love me
Edited by: "Eldini" 4th Jan 2011

Supermod

Eldini

Guys, I'm not trying to claim I'm God's gift to blog writing/editing, … Guys, I'm not trying to claim I'm God's gift to blog writing/editing, infact the only one of those blogs i think i could do a semi-adequate job on would be Dealspwn. That doesn't stop me from being able to recognise poor quality or misleading writing, or know that there are many people in need of work who could do a better job.I just find it disappointing that in a community full of knowledgeable members, who regularly provide fantastic advice, that these are the blogs that are being promoted and paid for.I'm not disputing that it's right for someone who regularly contributes articles to this website to get paid, considering the profits this site must make. My point is the standard of writers could and should be improved.And you're right Gari189, that's why i usually don't read those blogs, other than when a link on the HUKD homepage catches my eye. It just feels like a missed opportunity to me, especially considering there are bound to be many quality candidates in the HUKD userbase who could do a better job if they were just aware these gigs were full-time paid positions.I guess i should be used to seeing people being rewarded for poor quality work by now.Or maybe i just have a minority opinion here. I had the feeling this was a common sentiment based on the negative comments you often see on those blog posts, and the amount of people who "liked" my post on the previous thread before it was deleted.Guess i should have proof read my post before it was torn apart word-by-word by the HUKD masses =pEdit: Typos still love me

It is unfortunate that you appear to be only concentrating on (your perceived) negatives.

These blogs are welcomed by many on this forum and from other sites. As an example, Bitter Wallet recently did some fantastic investigative work on the Splatt scam. Bitter Wallet put in some real hard graft and raised awareness through their site which was filtered to MISC.

I read Bitter Wallet often and I see the occasional comment regarding typos etc. These are certainly in the minority and certainly do not reflect the general consensus.

Eldini - I don't take offense at your comments at all. I think we do a decent job on the blogs but I also think they are a work in progress and we are continually trying to learn and improve.

I do often think that there is massive untapped quality on HUKD that we've been unable to bring to the blogs yet also. We have "advertised" on here and we regularly call out on the blogs for writers stating that it is paid. Sometimes the truth is that it is tough to write articles day in and day out as compared to posting on a forum --- it goes from fun to work.

If anyone ever thinks they could contribute please get in touch. There is contact on all the blogs (even a big 'Write for us' on Bitterwallet).

Admin

Eldini - I don't take offense at your comments at all. I think we do a … Eldini - I don't take offense at your comments at all. I think we do a decent job on the blogs but I also think they are a work in progress and we are continually trying to learn and improve.I do often think that there is massive untapped quality on HUKD that we've been unable to bring to the blogs yet also. We have "advertised" on here and we regularly call out on the blogs for writers stating that it is paid. Sometimes the truth is that it is tough to write articles day in and day out as compared to posting on a forum --- it goes from fun to work.If anyone ever thinks they could contribute please get in touch. There is contact on all the blogs (even a big 'Write for us' on Bitterwallet).

I think the team(s) do more than "a decent" job; but I feel there could be more interaction between the individual blogs.

For example, it used to be common (not so much so in the last few weeks) to see references to HotUKDeals members in the Dealspwn.com articles in relation to listed deals & a few months ago the individual deals listings were updated with "Congratulations you were featured on Dealspwn" comments (or similar wording). Why was this practice stopped?

The "congratulations" comments provided members with some feedback from the site(s) representatives in that a member could see they were contributing to a wider audience. As the comments provided cross-promotion to the other blog, did you stop these because they were being perceived as self-promotion?

Maybe if you implemented some form of incentive for members to try to gain prominence within articles in the sister-site blogs then everybody would feel they are part of one big family rather than having discrete entities as they now seem to be presented.

This need not be restricted to Dealspwn.com, of course; PlayPennies.com could offer similar incentives. There is also room for the creation of a Supermarket grocery-deal blog, pre-recorded entertainment-based media (DVDs, CDs, and similar), clothing and, in fact, any of the main topic areas in the HotUKDeals.com "toolbar".

The distinct between each blog/site may be your intention though, so that you are, as mentioned above, targeting differing audiences. (Although, to be fair, there are probably days when the Dealspwn authors are stuck for choice from the majority of the new Deals listed at HotUKDeals; much to the dissatisfaction of members who have no interest in video gaming [as noted in a recent Feedback thread]).

PS. I did exchange messages via LinkedIn.com with one of the team involved with Dealspwn.com, but my enquiry was not progressed.

BFN,

fp.

fanpages

I think the team(s) do more than "a decent" job; but I feel there could be … I think the team(s) do more than "a decent" job; but I feel there could be more interaction between the individual blogs.For example, it used to be common (not so much so in the last few weeks) to see references to HotUKDeals members in the Dealspwn.com articles in relation to listed deals & a few months ago the individual deals listings were updated with "Congratulations you were featured on Dealspwn" comments (or similar wording). Why was this practice stopped?The "congratulations" comments provided members with some feedback from the site(s) representatives in that a member could see they were contributing to a wider audience. As the comments provided cross-promotion to the other blog, did you stop these because they were being perceived as self-promotion?Maybe if you implemented some form of incentive for members to try to gain prominence within articles in the sister-site blogs then everybody would feel they are part of one big family rather than having discrete entities as they now seem to be presented.This need not be restricted to Dealspwn.com, of course; PlayPennies.com could offer similar incentives. There is also room for the creation of a Supermarket grocery-deal blog, pre-recorded entertainment-based media (DVDs, CDs, and similar), clothing and, in fact, any of the main topic areas in the HotUKDeals.com "toolbar".The distinct between each blog/site may be your intention though, so that you are, as mentioned above, targeting differing audiences. (Although, to be fair, there are probably days when the Dealspwn authors are stuck for choice from the majority of the new Deals listed at HotUKDeals; much to the dissatisfaction of members who have no interest in video gaming [as noted in a recent Feedback thread]).PS. I did exchange messages via LinkedIn.com with one of the team involved with Dealspwn.com, but my enquiry was not progressed.BFN,fp.

Features still going Fanpages, was a deal featured short time ago. Guess the uncommon practice is due to the 'team' taking a christmas break (families etc)

Original Poster

magicjay1986

It is unfortunate that you appear to be only concentrating on (your … It is unfortunate that you appear to be only concentrating on (your perceived) negatives. These blogs are welcomed by many on this forum and from other sites. As an example, Bitter Wallet recently did some fantastic investigative work on the Splatt scam. Bitter Wallet put in some real hard graft and raised awareness through their site which was filtered to MISC. I read Bitter Wallet often and I see the occasional comment regarding typos etc. These are certainly in the minority and certainly do not reflect the general consensus.

You have a point.
I realise some of the blog content is very worthwhile, and can be very useful in many ways (deals/information/humour/etc.)
But a lot of the time i find the quality of content to be embarrassing, and if i relink it to someone i usually feel the need to include a disclaimer about the quality of writing

Honestly my negative comments were mainly aimed towards Dealspwn and Playpennies, seeing as those are the ones i most often spot an issue with. I read Bitterwallet the least out of the 3.
Though i'm not exactly a regular reader of any of them.

And just to clarify, I didn't once mention typos on these blogs as being a reason for thinking they're below par. I dont expect flawless English from a blog.
It'd just be nice if ideas were properly thought out and presented in a reasonable fashion, with misleading or incorrect information either being minimised or a system being put in place to correct it quickly.

Admin

Eldini - I don't take offense at your comments at all. I think we do a … Eldini - I don't take offense at your comments at all. I think we do a decent job on the blogs but I also think they are a work in progress and we are continually trying to learn and improve.I do often think that there is massive untapped quality on HUKD that we've been unable to bring to the blogs yet also. We have "advertised" on here and we regularly call out on the blogs for writers stating that it is paid. Sometimes the truth is that it is tough to write articles day in and day out as compared to posting on a forum --- it goes from fun to work.If anyone ever thinks they could contribute please get in touch. There is contact on all the blogs (even a big 'Write for us' on Bitterwallet).

Have you considered offering one off fees for article contributions, in addition to maintaining a roster of normal contributors? Might help tap the community's knowledge more effectively. Though i dont know if there's too many hurdles for that to be a realistic consideration, or if you already have too many chefs as is.

Would also be nice if the blogs had better controls in place for preventing/correcting factual errors from being published.

I might also have to direct some friends to the relevant application pages if they're interested.

Cheers for the responses.

dealspawn is ok, play pennies I have no interest in, bitterwallet is just sarky rehashes of 3 day old the sun articles and I think they have all but given up on fo.lk.

Adam2050

Features still going Fanpages, was a deal featured short time ago. Guess … Features still going Fanpages, was a deal featured short time ago. Guess the uncommon practice is due to the 'team' taking a christmas break (families etc)

Thanks Adam.

Maybe I have just spotted the few exceptions, but there have been occasions in the past when I've read a Dealspwn article & gone back to the original deal thread & congratulated the member who listed the deal myself as I had noticed the team had not cross-referenced back to the Dealspwn blog.

BFN,

fp.

P

fanpages

Thanks Adam.Maybe I have just spotted the few exceptions, but there have … Thanks Adam.Maybe I have just spotted the few exceptions, but there have been occasions in the past when I've read a Dealspwn article & gone back to the original deal thread & congratulated the member who listed the deal myself as I had noticed the team had not cross-referenced back to the Dealspwn blog.BFN,fp.

Yes I have noticed that too, maybe admin can ask them to be as consistent as of old.

Banned

I forgot to mention. By starting up a mobile site you'll take away half of paul and andy's porn that is the iphone.

lumoruk

I forgot to mention. By starting up a mobile site you'll take away half … I forgot to mention. By starting up a mobile site you'll take away half of paul and andy's porn that is the iphone.

They'll still have foxes and bacon.

Admin

What is the pay like for writing?

lawrenzini

I quite like the dealspawn/bitterwallet posts, no interest in play … I quite like the dealspawn/bitterwallet posts, no interest in play pennies so never read it. The one comment I would have is that the community management is terrible, I've never seen the writer respond to comment - even when someone is pointing out a mistake. It seems that the posts are very much fire and forgot and they never both to check the discussion taking place on posts. This means that something is really lacking and for that I don't really bother with the site. I just can't understand why the writers wouldn't engage with the readers.As stated originally, no problem with the content itself.

I would have to disagree, having seen them correct typos a number of times (in the past anyway) and very recently saw a few responses to comments - I believe they remain inpartial, rather than entering a heated debate (most of the time).

I personally feel very uncomfortable sending a Curriculum Vitae to a company which has no postal address, landline telephone number, director information etc.

I do like to know who I would be working for, where they are located and what the company balance sheet looks like before divulging my personal information in applying for a job

Banned

Sandsman

I personally feel very uncomfortable sending a Curriculum Vitae to a … I personally feel very uncomfortable sending a Curriculum Vitae to a company which has no postal address, landline telephone number, director information etc.I do like to know who I would be working for, where they are located and what the company balance sheet looks like before divulging my personal information in applying for a job

ha ha nice one. Don't you like the idea of working for the Mafia?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. word association Game74244922
    2. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread428114649
    3. The ultimate Sunday roast only £5.46 for 4 people at ASDA1889
    4. Anyone else bored of video gaming1321

See more discussions