Black Circle Tyres (The product, not the company)

Posted 25th Jul
Has anybody got any experience or opinion about their tyres?

I have a Ford Mondeo 2.0Tdci and for the forseerable I won't be doing the daily 30miles motorway commute as I'm working from home now.

I need a new pair of front tyres and I know fuel/wet grip isn't everything, but their own tyres seem excellent value for what they offer. (+10% extra cashback taking them to £103 fitted)

blackcircles.com/cat…005
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

16 Comments
Also try Asda tyres they where a lot cheaper for my car.
I did have a look at Asda, as a like for like I looked at the Avon ZV7 and they are £3 more per tyre so not much difference.

But then in comparison to unknown brands the black circle ones looked the better option.
I believe a few years ago I had a flat on a Golf I was going to be scrapping so just got a “black circles” tyre fitted as I wasn’t keeping the vehicle long. To be fair, the tyre that was fitted was fairly decent albeit a non-mainstream brand. It seemed to me that it basically is a generic title for whatever the fitters have available that isn’t Michelin/Continental/Dunlop etc.

Can’t fault the tyre, served a purpose and looked fairly good quality in comparison to various others I’ve had over the years.
Not sure where that chaps comment went as I was about to reply to it.

If you read the topic

Maybe I didnt make myself clear enough but you proved my point. Of course grip in the wet is important and the tyre above grades it as B, whereas there are Goodyear tyres graded as C or even D which people would trust more even though technically they aren't as good . (that's why I said it's not everything as rubber compound and other things come in to place).

@matthewemmer cheers for the review, I have brigdgestone tyres on at the moment and I think they are terrible and haven't lasted at all considering they were £110 each which is why I'm not too keen on spending that money again if I can get similar quality for half the price
What are the community's views on tyres? Branded or non branded. After all it's just rubber on tarmac. As mentioned in a previous post, some branded tyres are not as good as non branded ones on wet surfaces
The 4 little patches of rubber keep you on the road, tyres and brakes are 2 things that I never skimp on.

You could also try Costco if you are a member, just yesterday ordered 4 Goodyear tyres for the wife’s car from them, will get them fitted once they arrive.

In terms of budget, have a look at Nexen or Falken if your budget is limited, ditch finder cheap Chinese tyres is something that I’d personally avoid.
IAmATeaf26/07/2020 16:40

The 4 little patches of rubber keep you on the road, tyres and brakes are …The 4 little patches of rubber keep you on the road, tyres and brakes are 2 things that I never skimp on.You could also try Costco if you are a member, just yesterday ordered 4 Goodyear tyres for the wife’s car from them, will get them fitted once they arrive.In terms of budget, have a look at Nexen or Falken if your budget is limited, ditch finder cheap Chinese tyres is something that I’d personally avoid.

I didn't skimp on them last time, I bought 4 Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 215/55 R16 V in November 2018 (sorry not Bridgestone as per above) and they have been quite poor quality in my opinion and lasted less than 2 years for average amount of miles done.

That's why I'm a bit resentful paying the same if I get the same quality and wear and tear from a cheaper brand.

I've never tried Goodyear tyres although obviously their rep is excellent, might have a look at them as well.
Never said you did, I said I don’t. How many miles did you get from them? That interestingly enough are the same tyres I ordered for my wife’s car, she has the older variant on her car and they’ve lasted ages and the only reason I’m replacing them is my son hit the kerb the other day and punctured one and the rest have now started to crack.
IAmATeaf26/07/2020 16:56

Never said you did, I said I don’t. How many miles did you get from t …Never said you did, I said I don’t. How many miles did you get from them? That interestingly enough are the same tyres I ordered for my wife’s car, she has the older variant on her car and they’ve lasted ages and the only reason I’m replacing them is my son hit the kerb the other day and punctured one and the rest have now started to crack.

fair enough.

I've had about 15k miles out of them, mostly motorway which is my commute.
I'm with the 'decent rubber' crowd, but there's no need to pay an extortionate amount. I'd also take absolutely no notice of the tyre EU labels. It's done under strict test conditions and have almost no comparison to reality. I've had C rated tyres that are better than A rated.

Find what tyres are maybe up to £10 more expensive than the budget ones, then go to tyrereviews to find out how they actually rate.
slimy3126/07/2020 17:59

I'm with the 'decent rubber' crowd, but there's no need to pay an …I'm with the 'decent rubber' crowd, but there's no need to pay an extortionate amount. I'd also take absolutely no notice of the tyre EU labels. It's done under strict test conditions and have almost no comparison to reality. I've had C rated tyres that are better than A rated. Find what tyres are maybe up to £10 more expensive than the budget ones, then go to tyrereviews to find out how they actually rate.

Although quite simple to search, didn't cross my mind to look for a tyre review site.

I thought I'd do it in reverse and see what tyre reviews suggest for the size I need and them see the price.

Can get a couple premiums with excellent reviews same price as midrange tyres from the look of it.

None of the budget ones are worth watching based on the reviews.
slimy3126/07/2020 17:59

I'm with the 'decent rubber' crowd, but there's no need to pay an …I'm with the 'decent rubber' crowd, but there's no need to pay an extortionate amount. I'd also take absolutely no notice of the tyre EU labels. It's done under strict test conditions and have almost no comparison to reality. I've had C rated tyres that are better than A rated. Find what tyres are maybe up to £10 more expensive than the budget ones, then go to tyrereviews to find out how they actually rate.

This will sound really dumb

Sorry just a quick one as I don't know if I'm missing something with the website but same tyre is giving me 3 different prices (1st 3)
41506198-j9leV.jpg41506198-VJDaE.jpg41506198-nCNU2.jpg41506198-zXjCh.jpg
That's a new one on me. Normally you see that sort of variation when they're different speed rating or load index. But they're all 93V so I've no idea what's going on there.
slimy3127/07/2020 17:54

That's a new one on me. Normally you see that sort of variation when …That's a new one on me. Normally you see that sort of variation when they're different speed rating or load index. But they're all 93V so I've no idea what's going on there.

That's what I thought, like the other 2 so thought I'd ask in case I was missing something.

I also found out this just now for Black circles "own" tyres.

There is a few options, Jinyu, BCT, Autogrip are used for Value choice and Pace, Runway, Sailun, BCT, Nankang, Rotalli for Quality choice tyres.
I've had Runway and Sailun tyres, and would rate them as 'dangerous'. But then I've also had Nankang and they were brilliant. That's why I go with tyre reviews rather than considering price or brand.
slimy3127/07/2020 18:31

I've had Runway and Sailun tyres, and would rate them as 'dangerous'. But …I've had Runway and Sailun tyres, and would rate them as 'dangerous'. But then I've also had Nankang and they were brilliant. That's why I go with tyre reviews rather than considering price or brand.

The response from black.circles about the price difference

"When each new 'batch' of tyres is produced they are tested and awarded their labels. Sometimes these can vary from batch to batch due to slight differences in the products used during the manufacturing process. The price can vary due to differing supplier prices."

I'm going to go for the Hankook Ventus Prime 3 K125 and try them out, they get good reviews as well.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants