Groups
    EXPIRED

Black DVD RW drive including P&P?

Hi guys,

My DVD-RW drives keep breaking for some reason, I'm on my third now and this one has stopped reading discs properly. It still writes discs just fine but luckily I do have two DVD-RW drives in my computer.

Basically though, I'd like to order another just incase the one I have breaks too, so ideally I want a quality drive at a decent price, and it'll have to include P&P too unfortunately since I can't think of any other PC parts I'm after atm. I do have free delivery @ scan fwiw

Thank you!

7 Comments

]this one's got rave reviews and i'll be getting it soon

Original Poster

Awesome, thank you!

Never knew they came in SATA format, hehe, not sure whether to go for that or IDE, hmm!

Sata will obviously be faster.

sata is the way forward (so much faster) also most new motherboard don't have too many ide connections so if your already using them for another drive then you will need to get the sata version. The samsung drive has also got lightscribe.:thumbsup:

Get any colour you like, ideally sounds like the recommendation is for a SATA drive but do ]THIS

(note: it is not my box that but i do have a case similar to the microfly from ebuyer, ]THIS ONE and i have done that mod

t0mm

Sata will obviously be faster.

On what grounds? No optical drive has ever got anywhere near needing full ATA-66 speeds (half the bandwidth PATA offers). The amount of cache memory on a DVD burner is very small; there is scarcely any diffference in performance between top-end hard drives on PATA/SATA let alone optical drives.

Think of the interface as being the speed limit on the road - PATA has a 133mph limit, SATA either 150mph or 300mph. The DVD drive only goes at 40mph tops so whats the difference?

The principle advantage of SATA as far as optical drives are concerned is the thinner cable allows better case airflow. As ryancs mentioned Intel motherboards now only have one IDE port (for 2 drives) so in many cases SATA is the future but if you are replacing an IDE drive (so you know there is cable/place for it) the advantage is not so obvious - get the cheaper of the two!

jah128

On what grounds? No optical drive has ever got anywhere near needing full … On what grounds? No optical drive has ever got anywhere near needing full ATA-66 speeds (half the bandwidth PATA offers). The amount of cache memory on a DVD burner is very small; there is scarcely any diffference in performance between top-end hard drives on PATA/SATA let alone optical drives.Think of the interface as being the speed limit on the road - PATA has a 133mph limit, SATA either 150mph or 300mph. The DVD drive only goes at 40mph tops so whats the difference?The principle advantage of SATA as far as optical drives are concerned is the thinner cable allows better case airflow. As ryancs mentioned Intel motherboards now only have one IDE port (for 2 drives) so in many cases SATA is the future but if you are replacing an IDE drive (so you know there is cable/place for it) the advantage is not so obvious - get the cheaper of the two!

Agreed!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. MSE collective energy deal coming to an end Autumn22
      2. how to record on line webinar or video from wesbite11
      3. Ripped off by GearBest, VERY ANGRY!1111
      4. Virgin Media phone/TV/internet contract cancelation11

See more discussions