Black Friday has gone missing this year

Posted 5th Dec 2019
black Friday and cyber monday has always been a time of great deals and cashback and codes galore this year was very poor I was wondering peoples thoughts on it my opinion is that everyone copies Amazon with deals but they haven't provided because their staff went on strike for standard working conditions good on them but all my preparation down the pan shows the hold they have on retail
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
“is that everyone copies Amazon with deals”

OP, after years of being on here, I can categorically tell you that your opinion is completely wrong. It is Amazon that copies everyone, every year, all year. They are market followers, not leaders when it comes to price. They use their size to take sales away from smaller retailers who are leading the charge.

This has absolutely nothing to do with their staff striking too. What an odd comment.
7 Comments
I'm pretty sure that lack of good Black Friday Deals, as you perceive it to be, has absolutely nothing to do Amazon staff being on strike. It's probably more likely that we've become more savvy when it comes to the pattern of retailers raising prices or quoting RRP and then offering items for sale on Black Friday at prices that aren't really that much different to their usual selling price.
“is that everyone copies Amazon with deals”

OP, after years of being on here, I can categorically tell you that your opinion is completely wrong. It is Amazon that copies everyone, every year, all year. They are market followers, not leaders when it comes to price. They use their size to take sales away from smaller retailers who are leading the charge.

This has absolutely nothing to do with their staff striking too. What an odd comment.
Has always been a time of great deals? Mind there dude, it's only been a thing in our country for the last four or five years. As my recollection serves, the first big year had some real bargains in it (like your classic loss-leaders - 50" 1080p TVs and the like for £200, and so on), but the problem with loss-leaders is that they're always followed by stuff that's far less of a bargain, and that's how it's been every year since. There still are a few decent headline items, but 99% of it is clearance of poor-quality stock (like, stuff with major design flaws or shortcomings) that they couldn't sell during the previous few months.
my thoughts have been explained in the last few black friday feedback/experience/thoughts threads created in the last one week.
Biddy205/12/2019 14:06

“is that everyone copies Amazon with deals”OP, after years of being on her …“is that everyone copies Amazon with deals”OP, after years of being on here, I can categorically tell you that your opinion is completely wrong. It is Amazon that copies everyone, every year, all year. They are market followers, not leaders when it comes to price. They use their size to take sales away from smaller retailers who are leading the charge. This has absolutely nothing to do with their staff striking too. What an odd comment.

Amazon was the first major retailer to bring BF to the UK and they certainly led with the amazing but hard to bag lightening deals. Now they just peddle junk on Black Friday. You are of course you are correct that Amazon has software that monitors and matches competitors prices, they seem to have worked out that this can result in making losses so the products tend to go out of stock pretty quick and reappear once the competitor has sold out or raised the price. Amazon is extremely predatory to the point of destroying the competition at any cost.
Azwipe05/12/2019 14:37

Amazon was the first major retailer to bring BF to the UK and they …Amazon was the first major retailer to bring BF to the UK and they certainly led with the amazing but hard to bag lightening deals. Now they just peddle junk on Black Friday. You are of course you are correct that Amazon has software that monitors and matches competitors prices, they seem to have worked out that this can result in making losses so the products tend to go out of stock pretty quick and reappear once the competitor has sold out or raised the price. Amazon is extremely predatory to the point of destroying the competition at any cost.

Yep, they were the leader during the first year they brought BF to the UK, but after that first year, (as you say) they just price matched everyone else and peddled junk they couldn’t sell throughout the year. (Often at higher prices too)

Their USP is Prime and they use this to make you shop with them so that you feel you’re getting your value from the yearly sub. This then helps them to kill off the competition which will leave Amazon standing alone. They are incredibly predatory.
Yes your right there wasn't too many deals around this time. H&M and Adidas had decent 30% off that's all
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions