Groups

black mould in bedrooms of rented property

does anyone know what health problems black mould/damp can cause? Just wondering if its affecting mine or my daughters health. I keep wiping it off with bleach but in a few days its back and its everywhere! Its gross. Landlord does not care (he doesnt care about an awful lot of reapirs so this is nothing new!)

32 Comments

cant offer you any help but it is the same in my (rented) house, a housemates room is covered in the stuff! hopefully someone can help
    en.wikipedia.org/wik…old -wiki results

edit: when we reported this to the landlord he came in over xmas and plugged a dehumidifier in continuously FOR TWO WEEKS(!!!!!!) without our notice, so we were paying for the electric...and it didnt change anything

it shouldnt be affecting you, its unlikly to be causing you any harm. If you can, purchase a dehumidifier and place it in the rooms that are affected.

It can cause quite a lot of problems my advice to you is contact your local enviromental health department at the council and discuss with them to get some resolution to this
    Good luck:thumbsup:

Original Poster

my daughters room VERY small. She has a bed (a high sleeper) and a wardrobe and thats it. I will be moving out when tenancy ends, but thats not for another 6 months. Worried about my daughter cause of size of her room ie theres less air in there

Had same thing happen to my flat, landlord did nothing, so I brought a de-humidifyer, very very very helpful, after cleaning the mould, it has never come back

there was a progamme on tv about this a little while ago, I would definately contact landlord and ask for repairs or tell him you will go to the local council and report him if he does not do repairss.
    The programme I watched was in the USA amd a woman was dreadfully ill, nearly died and they could not figure out what was wrong until they realised that next door had a shower fitted and it was wrongly fitted and there was a constant drip inbetween the houses hers was full of black mould (behind her wall - she did not see it) but she had some really bad problems with her lungs - with spores growing over time and they only just found out int ime
    So it IS IMPORTANT that you sort it out for the sake of your children if not for yourself

Original Poster

v2drinkers;4271398

If its not condensation and a defect with the building (damp ingress) … If its not condensation and a defect with the building (damp ingress) then write the landlord a letter asking him to get this repaired stating that if he does nothing within a set period of time then you will get this repaired and pass the invoice to him for payment.But be sure its not a condensation problem and that you allow the airing of the room (remember condensation has to be allowed to escape the room or it will cause these problems) before you do this.

I waited 4 months for the boiler to be fixed, so not holding out any hope that he will fix this!

Banned

you must have proper ventalation cold walls and a hot house = condensation on the walls also the cavity will poss need cleaning out to prevent moisture transfering from the outside to the inside

Use a mix of bleach and water. Usually gets rid of the stuff. Neat bleach doesn't work for some reason. Check out side and make sure theres no water running downt he wall from guttering and this will be the cause of the problem.

Original Poster

Think it is prob condensation, but I open windows as much as I can. I hate renting privately as landlords so lazy and never do anything!

As I understand it spores from the mould can (depending on how much there is) become airborne, leading to them being breathed in, which may eventually cause lung problems. If the room is so small then this is probably even more likely. My advice would be to contact your landlord, ask him to get someone round to identify the cause of the mould. Then have any necessary work carried out. If he doesn't agree to this, contact the citizens advice bureau for proper advice on the way forward. In the meantime I'd keep cleaning the mould yourself to make sure it can't cause any harm.

You need to contact your ]local advice service and they will help you with any legalities. It also depends what's causing the damp. If you are drying clothes on radiators indoors this can cause the mould and it may be your responsibility to clean it up. If the landlord is at fault do the repairs yourself and deduct it from your rent. If he tries to evict you he won't have a leg to stand on in court. But you must retain all receipts and take photos of the problem for evidence.

not a sandstone cottage is it? these often were built before invention of damp course and damp can be absorbed from the ground into stone, in the old days they use to use lime to whitewash the walls preventing this mould growth

Banned

It can affect your health! i went to the doctors as i was getting chest pain and was coughing alot, it was down the the mould in my old flat. Theres a mould spay you can get but dont know for the life of me what its called, i used this (worked a treat) and then painted over it. Didnt come back after that. Bleach doesnt work that well if its really bad

We have had a mould problem in our house recently, following building work. We used a dehumidifier, and the walls were cleaned with bleach/water. They have also been treated with an anti-fungicide. Fingers crossed, this seems to have done the trick.

If you can increase ventilation in any way that should help also - and try to avoid drying clothes on the radiators (big cause of condensation/damp problems).

Original Poster

thanks everyone. Dont dry clothes on either bedroom radiator becase its ful of mould behind them and all along the wall. sent an email to letting agents - but not hopeful.

Full article ]here

[FONT=Arial]Condensation and black mould are a serious hazard to health. … [FONT=Arial]Condensation and black mould are a serious hazard to health. The Environmental Protection Act 1990 puts the onus on all landlords to ensure that their properties are designed and maintained to a standard that prevents conditions arising which can lead to any defect causing damage to the health or personal property of the tenant. Condensation and black mould fall very much into this category.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial]Under the Act, Landlords also have a Duty of Care to their tenants, to ensure that the premises are constructed and maintained free from defects which might cause personal injury or damage to the property of the occupant.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial]It is a proven medical fact that black mould can cause respiratory problems and condensation and dampness can aggravate asthma suffering as well as causing mental distress. It is therefore vital that black mould is cleaned off and condensation problems eradicated as quickly as possible.[/FONT]

Original Poster

Thanks choc, rep added

Could you post pictures of the problem areas to see if it looks like mould or damp coming in, we got it at the corners of windows ,walls etc in a bungalow, think ours is just condensation creating a wee bit mould though.

Original Poster

esq3585;4271599

Could you post pictures of the problem areas to see if it looks like … Could you post pictures of the problem areas to see if it looks like mould or damp coming in, we got it at the corners of windows ,walls etc in a bungalow, think ours is just condensation creating a wee bit mould though.

just wiped it all off again today unfortunatley

will post a pic of ours in a bit to compare :thumbsup:
    we run a dehumidifier and it seems to keep it under control
    bungalows seem to have a but more bother with condensation, think its something to do with everything on one level

our bedrooms suffer this. cold rooms i think with no heating. its only around the windows and have to keep cleaning it away.

We get a lot of condensation in our upstairs window, it sticks out like a bay so it gets pretty cold, there is a bit of mould and i get paranoid about it, might get the landlord round sometime

Next time take photos. Just so you can show your landlord the problem if he wont come over to see it.

We have terrible damp in our daughters bedroom, We had council out and they tested for external damp and it was just loads of condensation, He said they'd could put an air brick in to help reduce the problem but that would let heat escape and give a chilly breeze.

We've been told to get a dehumidifier for winter and keep windows open during the summer.

Keep furniture away from the walls as the moisture can damage them.

He said if you chisel a little bit of plaster ( around the damp area, In a hidden place i,e behind wardrobe etc... ), You can generally tell if it's damp from outside or internal moisture, If the plaster if damp after about half a centimetre it could be external damp which your landlord would be responsible for.

My sons asthma was irritated by damp and condensation.

None of the other kids were bothered by it.

Check her bedding doesnt feel damp to the touch if it falls against the wall.

We manage to hold it back. Wall was painted in some special fungicidal coating. Then corking over the wall. You can buy huge sheets of cork on a roll from DIY stores, needed special glue to attach it to the wall. Wall was insulated further with , well to me it looked like that pop stuff you get as packaging around fragile objects. clear plastic bubbles on sheets. Papered over the top of all that, we never see any damp come through now.

Also in that room the air brick had been papered over. Opened that out and have the windows open whenever any of us bath and shower. Once the kids are out of the house, I open the windows to give it a good airing each day even when its cold.

Also use dehumidifiers.

HTH!

http://i42.tinypic.com/24degrk.jpghttp://i43.tinypic.com/317d1yr.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/117z9t5.jpg

that really does look horrid

i had a bit of mould in the kids bedroom but when they came out to investigete it wasn't that bad just needed air circulating more between wardrobe and wall! dehumidifier you should try like everyone else said if you have no joy with your landlord ring environmental health tell them your situation and see if they can get someone on to himover it If it was me I wouldn't pay him the rent he'd soon take notice!!!

ClarityofMind;4275383

that really does look horrid

In the top right picture you can see that the paint under the mould is ok , seems to have attatched to the new paint.

I assume that's because it's an oil based paint so it wouldnt be permeated by the damp.. if the wood beneath the paint is solid that's cool, u can just wipe of the damp from the paint. The wallpaper shows those "flowers" of damp though...that would be worrying to me, shows the wall is coming into contact with water/humidity somehow and the damp seems to be growing over from the wallpaper to the paint.

ClarityofMind;4285434

I assume that's because it's an oil based paint so it wouldnt be … I assume that's because it's an oil based paint so it wouldnt be permeated by the damp.. if the wood beneath the paint is solid that's cool, u can just wipe of the damp from the paint. The wallpaper shows those "flowers" of damp though...that would be worrying to me, shows the wall is coming into contact with water/humidity somehow and the damp seems to be growing over from the wallpaper to the paint.

not wallpaper dude just painted gyproc walls, orig colour prev owner had was that terracota then they had a few rooms repainted with magnolia before we moved in.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764322
      2. Supermarket may have sold Sausages & Other Pork products may have been inf…913
      3. How dangerous is Donald trump?32162
      4. Help Me Find Bright Red Exterior Paint PLEASE45

See more discussions