Black out blinds alternatives

Found 2nd Aug
We have black out blinds in the bedroom and it works well but doesn't look that pretty. We need to put in black outs at the new house and wonder if there is anything better than the pull down black out blinds that we have at home?

We have seen black out curtains at hotels that we have stayed at and they do not black out the light completely so they are not a goer.
Community Updates
Ask
21 Comments
I got some blackout curtain liners a few years back , got them sewn onto the back of my normal curtains and they have been fine (a bit of light leakage round the sides ).

I guess its the quality/thickness of the blackout curtains /liners that you buy that determines how effective they are .
I think you've answered your own question
Are you a vampire?
moob21 m ago

Are you a vampire?

They might run a projector?
moob30 m ago

Are you a vampire?

my husband started me off on the black out blinds as he is a light sleeper and can not sleep when the day light comes into the room in the mornings through the curtains. i used to be able to sleep without any issue but now that I have got used to the black out blinds, I find that I can sleep longer if my body thinks it is still night time.
Bricks
Revhead0072 h, 30 m ago

How about a 69p Sleep Mask How about a 69p Sleep Mask https://www.amazon.co.uk/Night-Maskfor-Ergonomic-Anti-Tired-Travel/dp/B07D7RM4BC/ref=sr_1_14_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1533217223&sr=8-14&keywords=sleep+eye+mask

i have a few of these and i did try one on holiday but i found it stopped me sleeping altogether as i could feel it on my face!
3d blackout eye mask. Why you messing with blackout stuff. Or is it for kids?
Edited by: "wayners" 2nd Aug
wayners3 h, 12 m ago

3d blackout eye mask. Why you messing with blackout stuff. Or is it for …3d blackout eye mask. Why you messing with blackout stuff. Or is it for kids?

What you mean messing about with blackout stuff? People do blackout their windows at night to get better sleep.
mutley110 m ago

What you mean messing about with blackout stuff? People do blackout their …What you mean messing about with blackout stuff? People do blackout their windows at night to get better sleep.

Ware a sleep mask. Cheap as chips and near 100% blackout. 3d ones that wrap around nose to block light out are the best. I could not live without mine. Saves this messing about with windows and you can take with you on holiday ect. They are brilliant
Edited by: "wayners" 2nd Aug
mutley12nd Aug

my husband started me off on the black out blinds as he is a light sleeper …my husband started me off on the black out blinds as he is a light sleeper and can not sleep when the day light comes into the room in the mornings through the curtains. i used to be able to sleep without any issue but now that I have got used to the black out blinds, I find that I can sleep longer if my body thinks it is still night time.

Same here, but I have a **** of a neighbour who shouts at his kids every morning so no chance of an extra half hour when I need it!
Edited by moderator: "removed swear word" 3rd Aug
Isnt it dark when your eyes are shut
ding1 h, 8 m ago

Isnt it dark when your eyes are shut

not really. light penetrates through my eye lids. i am sure it does when you close your eyes as well.
I've bought blackout curtains from dunelm and they have always been effective and good quality.
mutley114 m ago

not really. light penetrates through my eye lids. i am sure it does when …not really. light penetrates through my eye lids. i am sure it does when you close your eyes as well.

It does really thats why ive got blackout curtains and wooden slat blinds
ding7 m ago

It does really thats why ive got blackout curtains and wooden slat blinds …It does really thats why ive got blackout curtains and wooden slat blinds

i did think about wooden shutters as i saw them when we were going round looking at properties. they don't completely black out light as black out blinds do they?

when we were in spain earlier this year, the villa that we stayed at had shutters on the outside of the window and the black out blinds were on the outside of the window, but you controlled it from the inside. it works really well to completely block out light but it looked ugly on the outside as it had like a wooden metal frame outside the window. they build windows like that in spain but not over here.
BFCsider20 m ago

I've bought blackout curtains from dunelm and they have always been …I've bought blackout curtains from dunelm and they have always been effective and good quality.

i find the curtains let in light on the edges and at the top of the curtains as the curtain poles are not flush with the wall. i need the room to be completely dark as if it was night time otherwise i will know that it is not night at all and so time to get up.
The next thing is to make a window plug. Not the best looking but if the mask or curtains don't work for you then make a plug
mutley116 h, 59 m ago

i find the curtains let in light on the edges and at the top of the …i find the curtains let in light on the edges and at the top of the curtains as the curtain poles are not flush with the wall. i need the room to be completely dark as if it was night time otherwise i will know that it is not night at all and so time to get up.

You need a curtain rail, not a pole. Black out liners, with thick curtains which need to substantially overlap the window on all the edges.

Or internal shutters

Or just wear a blackout band,
Edited by: "chocci" 4th Aug
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants