Black Plastic Trims and Bumbers on car have gone discoloured white.

Posted 1st Sep
Hi Guys hoping there’s is a relatively easy fix to this.....

My car has black plastic trims and bumpers which have really started to discolour and go white - I went to the local car wash and the guy there said it’s because I’ve been polishing the car myself and the polish I have using has transferred to the bumpers causing discolouration to the Trims.

I do have some Maguires back to black - but if I’m honest this works for about 2 weeks then the white starts showing through again.

I’ve seen some tips on YouTube about using a “hot air gun” - which according to the videos turns all the plastic Trims back to back permanently.

Has anyone tried doing this with any success- and also would a hot hair dryer essentially do the same thing as I don’t own an air gun.

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
24 Comments
41802667-O6gaF.jpg
Heres how the plastic trim looks at the moment

And this is the YouTube video I have seen that offers the potential fix
2 things to try first.

- an ordinary pencil eraser - white plastic type - just rub over the affected areas.
- peanut butter (smooth - the bits in crunchy are a pain) - use a cloth to rub in a small amount and then buff off. Dont blame me if you start feeling peckish on your way to work
Edited by: "mas99" 1st Sep
How about this?
I always used Autoglym AG 163254 Bumper & Trim Gel.
Used for 15 plus years on old Rover cars I had, Over 12 cars.
Wash area, Rub in gell and polish off.
Then repeat, Do this 3 times the same day.
Then the bumper should be clean and will shine and should last months.

amazon.co.uk/Aut…28U
nick198101/09/2020 09:13

[Video] And this is the YouTube video I have seen that offers the …[Video] And this is the YouTube video I have seen that offers the potential fix

I would be cautious using it near the paintwork as it may melt the lacquer. Maybe use a damp cloth/towel on the paintwork.
bigwheels01/09/2020 10:51

I always used Autoglym AG 163254 Bumper & Trim Gel.Used for 15 plus years …I always used Autoglym AG 163254 Bumper & Trim Gel.Used for 15 plus years on old Rover cars I had, Over 12 cars.Wash area, Rub in gell and polish off.Then repeat, Do this 3 times the same day.Then the bumper should be clean and will shine and should last months.https://www.amazon.co.uk/Autoglym-AG-163254-Bumper-325ml/dp/B000MSU28U

Interesting - believe it or not it’s the auto Glym paint polish for the paintwork that I use which has caused the whitening on the bumpers
nick198101/09/2020 11:25

Interesting - believe it or not it’s the auto Glym paint polish for the p …Interesting - believe it or not it’s the auto Glym paint polish for the paintwork that I use which has caused the whitening on the bumpers

Yes I know that.
Thats why you need to clean the bumpers more than once as it removes the dirt and polish from the bumper. Then helps seal it.
My old rovers did not get polished.
But worked great at restoring them back to black from grey.
bigwheels01/09/2020 11:33

Yes I know that.Thats why you need to clean the bumpers more than once as …Yes I know that.Thats why you need to clean the bumpers more than once as it removes the dirt and polish from the bumper. Then helps seal it.My old rovers did not get polished.But worked great at restoring them back to black from grey.

Thanks mate will get some of this bought then.
nick198101/09/2020 11:36

Thanks mate will get some of this bought then.

Get some cheap washing up sponges, the ones with a sponge and scourer.
Only use the sponge side as it helps lift out the polish and dirt.
You should be able to see when it needs doing again, as water will sink in to the bumper instead of rolling off.
you need to deep clean it first with a good household cleaner to remove any polish residue then use Gtechniq C4

amazon.co.uk/Gte…N0/

Expensive but it works, and it lasts.

as with most car detailing products, you get what you pay for. The cheap stuff will make it shine for a while, the G4 will last months if not years...

btw...the Heat gun trick does work well also...If you are feeling brave.
Edited by: "Uridium" 1st Sep
I have a Karcher sc2 steam cleaner

Would that be good to use to initially try and clean it to get the polish out?
nick198101/09/2020 12:18

I have a Karcher sc2 steam cleanerWould that be good to use to initially …I have a Karcher sc2 steam cleanerWould that be good to use to initially try and clean it to get the polish out?

I'd say you need a detergent to remove the old polish. Kitchen type cleaners /Flash etc and a scrubbing brush always do the trick for me.

iirc the Heat gun trick works by allowing the moisture trapped in the trim to escape as it's heated, its the moisture trapped in the plastic that makes it look faded. Never tried it myself but I know others that have done it successfully though.

If it was me I'd try it first on an area that's not easily visible initially, mask off paintwork and take time, do it slowly.

Whats the worst that could happen
Edited by: "Uridium" 1st Sep
Kiwi liquid shoe polish ?
Have you tried any sort of Back To Black stuff?
ei8hty5ive01/09/2020 15:17

Have you tried any sort of Back To Black stuff?

Yes
I have the maguires back to back but it lasts around a few week so looking for a better idea that lasts longer
nick198101/09/2020 15:18

YesI have the maguires back to back but it lasts around a few week so …YesI have the maguires back to back but it lasts around a few week so looking for a better idea that lasts longer

Like masking tape and plastic trim paint?
WD40 works great

You can use a hair dryer but not too much as you will dry out the plastic.
After a really good clean with meths I painted mine with zinsser all coat satin black waterbased. Was back in March and still good .

41807618.jpgHowever there are products especially made for bumpers if you look online.
Edited by: "wayners" 1st Sep
Some scary comments on here. Go to detailingworld.co.uk all your answers will be there.
Not tried it myself but watched some Youtube video comparing various treatments/products and amazingly Teak Oil is what was thought to be the best!
mas9901/09/2020 09:59

2 things to try first.- an ordinary pencil eraser - white plastic type - …2 things to try first.- an ordinary pencil eraser - white plastic type - just rub over the affected areas.- peanut butter (smooth - the bits in crunchy are a pain) - use a cloth to rub in a small amount and then buff off. Dont blame me if you start feeling peckish on your way to work

If peanut butter doesn't work try pink blancmange. You need to apply it naked in the rain though.
Edited by: "Stormtrooper" 4th Sep
Post a comment
@
    Text