Black screen after updating to Windows 11

Posted 6th Jan 2022
I just updated my new laptop to Windows 11, update initially installed to 100%. First boot it took me to the login page with my username and pin prompt. Entered my pin, black screen. Hard reset the laptop 3 times, which then takes you to troubleshooting screen. Selected troubleshoot, selected advanced options, selected startup repair. After 10 seconds of 'diagnosing your pc', I'm given 'Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC' message.

Back to advanced options, selected Uninstall Updates, uninstalled quality updates, tried to continue to Windows 11, black screen. Back to advanced options, selected Uninstall Updates, uninstalled latest feature updates, selected continue to Windows 11, black screen.

Back to advanced options, selected startup settings, started Windows in Safe Mode with networking, this time it takes me to the login screen with pin prompt again, entered my pin, it loaded my desktop but the screen is flashing like a strobe light, the cursor is flickering between arrow and sand timer, cannot click on anything. Tried screen refresh using CTRL+Windows key+Shift+B, the screen goes dark for a second but returns to strobe light desktop where I'm unable to click anything. Hard reset the PC again.

Back to advanced options. Tried system restore, but there's no restore points, Laptop is very new, I assumed I had created one, but looks like I have not. No option to do that.

Watched a YouTube vid that purports to fix the issue with a series of command prompts, but I was unable to recreate the results the YouTube got, with the last command prompt returning 'could not find files'.

The only option I'm left with is to reset the PC, and either keep files or lose all files. I'm hesitant to do this, as I know that even with the 'keep files' option, you lose a lot.

Has anyone experienced the same issue and knows a fix? Wild stab in the dark but I feel I've exhausted my options here, and I know a lot of you are fairly tech savvy. Any suggestions before I factory reset my laptop

(I hate Microsoft with a seething passion)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment
24 Comments
  1. Avatar
    Have a look through this @J_.
    windowsreport.com/win…ue/

EDIT: I had a similar issue with my laptop; not after a Win 11 update, but after a Win 10 mid season update
    I eventually managed to get it back by doing Fix 1 in here
    easeus.com/par…tml
    Edited by: "andywedge" 6th Jan
  2. Avatar
    My brand new LG Gram laptop, which wa perfect, beacme unuseable after upgrading to Windows 11. The battery went poor, the programs began crashing ans the wifi began to drop off and fail. Its in now for reapir under the warranty but I wont be upgrading anything else to Widnows 11.
  3. Avatar
    Author
    andywedge06/01/2022 21:48

Have a look through this @J_. …Have a look through this @J_. https://windowsreport.com/windows-11-black-screen-issue/EDIT: I had a similar issue with my laptop; not after a Win 11 update, but after a Win 10 mid season updateI eventually managed to get it back by doing Fix 1 in herehttps://www.easeus.com/partition-manager-software/windows11-black-screen-of-death.html

Thanks, Andy. I had read through the first link before posting here, but I'm very limited in what I can actually do, because I can't get the laptop to boot to safe mode in any usable sense. The second link is for the black screen of death, which is not actually the issue I'm facing, I'm getting a black screen with nothing at all on display. The file recovery information from that link is useful, though, I can use that to grab a few essential files before I factory reset the laptop at least.
  4. Avatar
    J_.06/01/2022 22:05

Thanks, Andy. I had read through the first link before posting here, but …Thanks, Andy. I had read through the first link before posting here, but I'm very limited in what I can actually do, because I can't get the laptop to boot to safe mode in any usable sense. The second link is for the black screen of death, which is not actually the issue I'm facing, I'm getting a black screen with nothing at all on display. The file recovery information from that link is useful, though, I can use that to grab a few essential files before I factory reset the laptop at least.

Can you create a bootable disc using a different laptop i.e run the full repair again on the laptop using the bootable disc (on a USB / external HD)?
    I've done that before on a previous wonky blue screen of death laptop.
    And yes, that was after it ran another update. It's always after damn updates.
  5. Avatar
    Author
    andywedge06/01/2022 22:08

Can you create a bootable disc using a different laptop i.e run the full …Can you create a bootable disc using a different laptop i.e run the full repair again on the laptop using the bootable disc (on a USB / external HD)? I've done that before on a previous wonky blue screen of death laptop.And yes, that was after it ran another update. It's always after damn updates.

Yeah, I can create a bootable USB stick to reinstall Windows. I just tried to reset using the cloud, but my PC is unable to connect to the cloud, presumably because networking is inactive. I had a non OEM retail version of Windows 10 pre installed on the laptop when I purchased it. If I try to reinstall Windows from USB, how do I recover my retail version of W10 without having enter new license key, is my current license key documented anywhere?
  6. Avatar
    J_.06/01/2022 22:05

Thanks, Andy. I had read through the first link before posting here, but …Thanks, Andy. I had read through the first link before posting here, but I'm very limited in what I can actually do, because I can't get the laptop to boot to safe mode in any usable sense. The second link is for the black screen of death, which is not actually the issue I'm facing, I'm getting a black screen with nothing at all on display. The file recovery information from that link is useful, though, I can use that to grab a few essential files before I factory reset the laptop at least.

What you really need to do is remove the drive and image it then you can do more.
    I always recommend to customers having the dvd drive removed and installing a second hard drive as you can buy various drive trays on ebay for under a tenner that allow you to do this!

The black screen sounds like the video driver is trying to use a higher refresh rate than the display can handle!
    Shift and f8 when windows 11 is going through initial boot allows you to get to the command line - from there you can remove the driver for the display in the HKCU registry hive and windows 11 should try and use the basic driver but to be honest it sounds like your laptop is not compatible with windows 11, i have installed it on a few laptops and not had many problems even those with no tpm or secure boot i have installed windows 11 without an issue so the first question i would ask is what is the laptop make and model so we can get the display specs and windows 11 compatabiltiy report?

Hard to know without being in front of the laptop!
    Bit of a nightmare if you dont have a workshop or a second laptop or machine and are stuck with doing it all on your own without any tools to do the job - you really need to do just a few things to keep your data and that is just copy the profile off the laptop which will contain all your docs, music, pics , vids all you really need is a friend with a pc or laptop and an external drive cage you can stick your hdu into!
  7. Avatar
    Author
    Bazil-Bruschetta06/01/2022 22:18

What you really need to do is remove the drive and image it then you can …What you really need to do is remove the drive and image it then you can do more.I always recommend to customers having the dvd drive removed and installing a second hard drive as you can buy various drive trays on ebay for under a tenner that allow you to do this!The black screen sounds like the video driver is trying to use a higher refresh rate than the display can handle!Shift and f8 when windows 11 is going through initial boot allows you to get to the command line - from there you can remove the driver for the display in the HKCU registry hive and windows 11 should try and use the basic driver but to be honest it sounds like your laptop is not compatible with windows 11, i have installed it on a few laptops and not had many problems even those with no tpm or secure boot i have installed windows 11 without an issue so the first question i would ask is what is the laptop make and model so we can get the display specs and windows 11 compatabiltiy report?Hard to know without being in front of the laptop!Bit of a nightmare if you dont have a workshop or a second laptop or machine and are stuck with doing it all on your own without any tools to do the job - you really need to do just a few things to keep your data and that is just copy the profile off the laptop which will contain all your docs, music, pics , vids all you really need is a friend with a pc or laptop and an external drive cage you can stick your hdu into!

It's a legion 5 pro, and I know it's compatible with W11 because my partner bought the same laptop with no OS installed, and I created a bootable USB to install W11 with. Used an OEM key to put W11 on her laptop, it installed with no issues and has been running W11 without issue for the last month. I'm not hugely bothered by the loss of files at this point, I just want my laptop operational again without the hassle of sending it away under warranty for repairs 😞
  8. Avatar
    J_.06/01/2022 22:15

Yeah, I can create a bootable USB stick to reinstall Windows. I just tried …Yeah, I can create a bootable USB stick to reinstall Windows. I just tried to reset using the cloud, but my PC is unable to connect to the cloud, presumably because networking is inactive. I had a non OEM retail version of Windows 10 pre installed on the laptop when I purchased it. If I try to reinstall Windows from USB, how do I recover my retail version of W10 without having enter new license key, is my current license key documented anywhere?

Checked with my brother, he knows more about computers than I do
    He reckons the best way is a full format and reinstall. And keep all files on a second drive.
    Regarding your question there though. Windows 10 should be linked to your user account. So when you log in It will do it all for you. So just select "I don’t have a product" when that option appears.
  9. Avatar
    J_.06/01/2022 22:26

It's a legion 5 pro, and I know it's compatible with W11 because my …It's a legion 5 pro, and I know it's compatible with W11 because my partner bought the same laptop with no OS installed, and I created a bootable USB to install W11 with. Used an OEM key to put W11 on her laptop, it installed with no issues and has been running W11 without issue for the last month. I'm not hugely bothered by the loss of files at this point, I just want my laptop operational again without the hassle of sending it away under warranty for repairs 😞

Lenovo eh nice machines although they were better when it was IBM my fave supplier sadly gone now!

There is one thing that i can suggest that i would always go to first and that is the bios
    Try changing the graphics device in the bios to dynamic graphics or if that fails do a bios complete reset to defaults!

If that fails then he simplest way in that case is factory restore - you can fiddle and diddle with it but in my experience of 30+ years repairing laptops pcs servers etc the quickest fix is a reload as there will always be nasties and bugs left after a borked install and multiple users fiddle and diddles as i call em - instead of spending hours trying to fix it just do a reload it will save you hours of hair pulling and the amount of time you have spent on forums and on here dude its the simplest way if you are not bothered about your files!

If you had onedrive running all your files will be in the cloud anyway so you can restore them after a reload!
  10. Avatar
    Author
    It's currently reinstalling windows. I signed in to my windows account, I assumed it would install W10, I wanted W10, but presumably, because I chose to update to Windows 11 before the black screen issue, it's now installing W11

Hopefully it doesn't black screen again, my sanity is hanging on by thread 😬
  11. Avatar
    J_.06/01/2022 23:10

It's currently reinstalling windows. I signed in to my windows account, I …It's currently reinstalling windows. I signed in to my windows account, I assumed it would install W10, I wanted W10, but presumably, because I chose to update to Windows 11 before the black screen issue, it's now installing W11 Hopefully it doesn't black screen again, my sanity is hanging on by thread 😬

Fingers crossed
  12. Avatar
    pcsupport.lenovo.com/gb/…ors

Grab the right graphics drivers from lenovo direct instead of the basic ones and to do the cloud restore always works best with a network cable the wi fi seems to shut down
  13. Avatar
    Author
    andywedge06/01/2022 23:25

Fingers crossed

Has installed and is working with no issues. Now I just need to install a million windows updates, and all my apps from onedrive. Thanks for the tips

Luckyluke0206/01/2022 23:25

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/gb/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/legion-series/legion-5-pro-16ach6h/downloads/driver-list/component?name=Graphics Processing Units (GPU) and Server-AI AcceleratorsGrab the right graphics drivers from lenovo direct instead of the basic ones and to do the cloud restore always works best with a network cable the wi fi seems to shut down

What's a network cable?
    Only joking. Haven't used one for donkeys, though. Think I have one in my massive tub of tangled cables that I'll mostly never use
    Edited by: "J_." 6th Jan
  14. Avatar
    J_.06/01/2022 23:41

Has installed and is working with no issues. Now I just need to install a …Has installed and is working with no issues. Now I just need to install a million windows updates, and all my apps from onedrive. Thanks for the tips

Excellent news. Awful isn't it when you get that balck / blue screen of death
  15. Avatar
    J_.06/01/2022 22:26

It's a legion 5 pro, and I know it's compatible with W11 because my …It's a legion 5 pro, and I know it's compatible with W11 because my partner bought the same laptop with no OS installed, and I created a bootable USB to install W11 with. Used an OEM key to put W11 on her laptop, it installed with no issues and has been running W11 without issue for the last month. I'm not hugely bothered by the loss of files at this point, I just want my laptop operational again without the hassle of sending it away under warranty for repairs 😞

Did you buy the problematic laptop without an OS? If so a manufacturer warranty claim would be invalid on the assumption there is no hardware issue.
    Did you purchase from the Lenovo UK store? The merchant holds the statutory consumer obligations, but again I would expect statutory-based assistance requests to be declined for a non-hardware fault, although the merchant may offer some assistance as a gesture of goodwill, should you choose to send the laptop to this merchant who is not based in UK.

Maybe you purchased an upgraded / extended warranty from Lenovo UK store? I may have missed it but I cannot see software issues being mentioned in the extensive list of cover in the warranty upgrade page at lenovo.com/gb/…des

Obviously all above are tongue-in-cheek observations and I am pleased that your issue now appears resolved.
    Regardless, the observations are still factual, and maybe the detrimental significance of Lenovo UK store not being based in UK is more clear.
  16. Avatar
    Author
    AndyRoyd07/01/2022 00:31

Did you buy the problematic laptop without an OS? If so a manufacturer …Did you buy the problematic laptop without an OS? If so a manufacturer warranty claim would be invalid on the assumption there is no hardware issue. Did you purchase from the Lenovo UK store? The merchant holds the statutory consumer obligations, but again I would expect statutory-based assistance requests to be declined for a non-hardware fault, although the merchant may offer some assistance as a gesture of goodwill, should you choose to send the laptop to this merchant who is not based in UK.Maybe you purchased an upgraded / extended warranty from Lenovo UK store? I may have missed it but I cannot see software issues being mentioned in the extensive list of cover in the warranty upgrade page at https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/warranty-upgradesObviously all above are tongue-in-cheek observations and I am pleased that your issue now appears resolved.Regardless, the observations are still factual, and maybe the detrimental significance of Lenovo UK store not being based in UK is more clear.

Fixed it
    Would have been covered under warranty
    The issue was with Windows. It's always Windows.
    Edited by: "J_." 7th Jan
  17. Avatar
    Author
    Only just finished removing Windows bloatware. The amount of crap they forcefully install when you just want an operating system is unreal. Christ knows how much of my life has been spent fixing issues with Windows over the years. There's still loads of bloatware on it that I'm unable to uninstall or even effectively disable, like Cortana and Windows teams. God I hate Windows so much it actually gives me a headache when I think about it too much
  18. Avatar
    J_.07/01/2022 00:51

Only just finished removing Windows bloatware. The amount of crap they …Only just finished removing Windows bloatware. The amount of crap they forcefully install when you just want an operating system is unreal. Christ knows how much of my life has been spent fixing issues with Windows over the years. There's still loads of bloatware on it that I'm unable to uninstall or even effectively disable, like Cortana and Windows teams. God I hate Windows so much it actually gives me a headache when I think about it too much

There are ways to remove cortana but involves registry and making yourself owner of most of system files it is a pain but can be done for win 10 there was a lot of tools and scripts you could run some work for 11 but not all of them.
  19. Avatar

Only just finished removing Windows bloatware. The amount of crap they …Only just finished removing Windows bloatware. The amount of crap they forcefully install when you just want an operating system is unreal. Christ knows how much of my life has been spent fixing issues with Windows over the years. There's still loads of bloatware on it that I'm unable to uninstall or even effectively disable, like Cortana and Windows teams. God I hate Windows so much it actually gives me a headache when I think about it too much

I have read most of the posts in this thread but it is the first and this one which makes me dive in with 2 comments.
    1. You are clearly experienced enough to know you should have at least 3 copies of your data/files/settings/configurations/etc.
    2. No OS can ever be 100% trusted (hence 1 above) but I agree with you about Microsoft and Windows. The penny dropped with me though shortly around the Vista era and have used Linux ever since as my main OS (much more stable). I do have 2 windows devices (10 and11) as reference machines, plus Apple, Android and recently Chromebook. Only a 100% architectural OS/hardware change would convince me to try MS/Windows.
    Good Luck - glad you sorted it and hope you recover emotionally enough in time for the next disaster.
  20. Avatar
    Author
    Luckyluke0207/01/2022 09:06

There are ways to remove cortana but involves registry and making yourself …There are ways to remove cortana but involves registry and making yourself owner of most of system files it is a pain but can be done for win 10 there was a lot of tools and scripts you could run some work for 11 but not all of them.

Yeah, I fiddled around doing it on W10 years ago, then windows broke with an update, and I had to reinstall it, and of course Cortana was back, so I just gave up in the end

tardytortoise07/01/2022 09:16

I have read most of the posts in this thread but it is the first and this …I have read most of the posts in this thread but it is the first and this one which makes me dive in with 2 comments.1. You are clearly experienced enough to know you should have at least 3 copies of your data/files/settings/configurations/etc.2. No OS can ever be 100% trusted (hence 1 above) but I agree with you about Microsoft and Windows. The penny dropped with me though shortly around the Vista era and have used Linux ever since as my main OS (much more stable). I do have 2 windows devices (10 and11) as reference machines, plus Apple, Android and recently Chromebook. Only a 100% architectural OS/hardware change would convince me to try MS/Windows.Good Luck - glad you sorted it and hope you recover emotionally enough in time for the next disaster.

I really do know better, and I'm not sure if it was laziness or just complacency that I made no form of backup before updating to W11, but that's what I did anyway. I love Linux and would switch in a heartbeat, have a few things running Linux, but this is a gaming laptop, and you just can't get the same level of support for games using emulators like Wine on Linux than you can just running Windows natively. I really, really wish you could 😞
    Edited by: "J_." 7th Jan
  21. Avatar

Look up Chris Titus Tech - he has scripts for cleaning up - although not sure if he has done W11 yet
  22. Avatar
    My previous Lenovo work laptop booted up one day with a black screen similar issue to this description. I called our work IT guys who told me to do a deep reset (not the same as a factory reset), first find the pin hole and use a pointed tool to cick it in for 10 seconds. Except that my model had no such pin hole. He revised the procedure to holding down the power button for something like 1 minute, then waiting, then powering back up after a 5 minute wait. It booted back up in Windows.

Since then I bought my own Lenovo P50 and from the manual, here's the procedure:

Computer stops responding
    If your computer is unresponsive (you cannot use the TrackPoint pointing device or the keyboard), do
    the following:
    1. Press and hold the power button for four seconds or more to turn off the computer.
    • If the computer is turned off, restart the computer. If the computer does not turn on, continue with
    step 2.
    • If you cannot turn off your computer by pressing and holding the power button, remove the ac power
    adapter and reset the system by inserting a straightened paper clip into the emergency-reset hole.
    To locate the reset hole, refer to “Bottom view” on page 7. After the computer is off, restart the
    computer. If the computer does not turn on, continue with step 2.
    2. While the computer is off, remove all sources of power from the computer (the removable battery and the
    ac power adapter) and reset the system by inserting a straightened paper clip into the emergency-reset
    hole. Reattach the ac power adapter but do not install the removable battery. Restart the computer. If
    the computer does not turn back on, continue with step 3.

On models with no reset pinhole, I think the hold power button down for a minute replaces that step.
  23. Avatar
    This sounds like a gfx driver issue. Have a look at the other machine you have and checked what the gfx card is installed as and the driver version. Then go into safe mode and set this the same.

If that fails, wipe it and reload it.

As mentioned above, use the Chris Titus script (christitustech.com) to clean all the bloat out.

Clean installs are always better than doing an upgrade generally.

The 3 golden rules of computing are, backup, backup, backup.

Your data is your responsibility
  24. Avatar
    After you login and get the black screen try pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL to see if you get anything. If the normal lock, task manager screen appears, run task manager then within task manager select the option to Run a command and type Explorer.exe
Post a comment
Top Merchants