Expired

blackberry playbook damaged charge port problem

Found 21st Mar 2013
Rim are saying the damaged port isn't under warranty and they want £113 of me to repair it the damn thinw was only bought in nov.2012 anything i can do to get a free repair? lots of people complaining about it on google
Community Updates
AskBlackberryMovie
18 Comments
Have you inserted the charger plug upside down that is the usual cause. You need to look online for pics of what the port looks like and then use something plastic to bend it back *carefully* to where it should be.

My sister had this problem and that was all it was when I told her what to do.
So you damage something and want it repaired free of charge under warranty?
How about you take responsibility instead?
In the OP's defence it's a crap design. The port isn't shaped the same way as a standard charge port and it doesn't take much to break it. Your other choice is to buy the other magnetic charger that connects to the docking station charge ports.

Like this one.

CyDoNiA

In the OP's defence it's a crap design. The port isn't shaped the same … In the OP's defence it's a crap design. The port isn't shaped the same way as a standard charge port and it doesn't take much to break it. Your other choice is to buy the other magnetic charger that connects to the docking station charge ports.Like this one.

This
Take it back to the retailer. Within the first 6 months, the retailer has to prove you didn't damage it.
Retailer will refer you to BB support after 28 days.
theres also a sticker on the charger cable that instructs you to put it in the port with the BB logo facing upwards.
if you haven't done that and forced it in, damaging the port, thats your mistake. you can argue its badly designed and it may be a "known issue" but the fact remains, it wasnt damaged when you bought it, you damaged it.
troll or not
Usually the port can be bend back into shape if you are careful anyway. The black tab with the connections on in the USB socket should be nearest the back of the PlayBook. Check images on Google if you are unsure what I mean. If the connector is inserted backwards it will let you in some cases push it in due to the fact the socket will actually take the plug both ways baring the flimsy tab. Stupid design but easy to fix. You just need to bend that tab back to where it should be.

Blackberry need a slap for this because it's really a design flaw that it lets you insert the plug the wrong way if ya get it lined up just right. You don't have to force it in to damage it. It is a known issue and really Blackberry should be sorting these issues due to their flawed design.
Banned
As a last resort, people on ebay fix it for £25

ebay.co.uk/sch…=15

or you can get a rapid magnetic charger that uses the 3 pins next to the main charging port for c.£25

Edited by: "csiman" 22nd Mar 2013
Banned
CyDoNiA

Usually the port can be bend back into shape if you are careful anyway. … Usually the port can be bend back into shape if you are careful anyway. The black tab with the connections on in the USB socket should be nearest the back of the PlayBook. Check images on Google if you are unsure what I mean. If the connector is inserted backwards it will let you in some cases push it in due to the fact the socket will actually take the plug both ways baring the flimsy tab. Stupid design but easy to fix. You just need to bend that tab back to where it should be.Blackberry need a slap for this because it's really a design flaw that it lets you insert the plug the wrong way if ya get it lined up just right. You don't have to force it in to damage it. It is a known issue and really Blackberry should be sorting these issues due to their flawed design.

I doubt blackberry were responsible for the design of the micro usb port
Edited by: "csiman" 22nd Mar 2013
csiman

I doubt blackberry were responsible for the design of the micro usb port … I doubt blackberry were responsible for the design of the micro usb port

No but they are responsible for not actually using the proper micro-USB port design... If you read up on it you will see that whilst it is a micro-USB port the outer casing is not shaped like a micro-USB port and so the "specifically shaped so it can only go in one way" connector can go in both ways. Hence stupid design.
Banned
CyDoNiA

No but they are responsible for not actually using the proper micro-USB … No but they are responsible for not actually using the proper micro-USB port design... If you read up on it you will see that whilst it is a micro-USB port the outer casing is not shaped like a micro-USB port and so the "specifically shaped so it can only go in one way" connector can go in both ways. Hence stupid design.

fair enough although it wont go in both ways on mine unless i force it

i put a red sticker on the plug to remind me which way is correct as the logo isnt very clear
It's just over all a bad design. It should have been a bog standard properly shaped micro-USB port then there would be no chance of this happening to them. Shouldn't have to rely on the logo it should only fit 1 way unless ya really forceful. I will admit it should stop the plug going in unless you apply a little force but in some cases it seems too easy to damage.
Banned
CyDoNiA

It's just over all a bad design. It should have been a bog standard … It's just over all a bad design. It should have been a bog standard properly shaped micro-USB port then there would be no chance of this happening to them. Shouldn't have to rely on the logo it should only fit 1 way unless ya really forceful. I will admit it should stop the plug going in unless you apply a little force but in some cases it seems too easy to damage.

agreed

i am on my third one in six months (charge port failure on first, hdmi port failed on second one)

complicated and time consuming return procedures too (3 hours on the phone to bb support for the hdmi port failure going through every option possible trying to fix it before they agreed a return)
Touch wood mines been fine so far.
Original Poster Banned
slackrat77

So you damage something and want it repaired free of charge under … So you damage something and want it repaired free of charge under warranty?How about you take responsibility instead?

You are a glass half empty type person, I can tell this as i now have had a new replacement (agreed it was a manufacturing fault)and you would be sat with your busted crap thinking it was your fault, instead of sulking when things go wrong try a different approach.
bit of gumption = Glass half full!
Have a great day.
Oh no my life is over.....

Maybe if you put the USB in the right way as it tells you on the plug, no gumption would be needed as no crap would a busted.
Take notice of instructions.
Original Poster Banned
slackrat77

Oh no my life is over.....Maybe if you put the USB in the right way as it … Oh no my life is over.....Maybe if you put the USB in the right way as it tells you on the plug, no gumption would be needed as no crap would a busted.Take notice of instructions.

thanx for your advice (cough) sorry your life is over and your glass remains half empty.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants