Groups

Blackberry v Filofax

New job last few weeks. Big change as lots of meetings in different locations each week. Previously was in one place.

Having problems keeping up with organising things. Currently have an old Nokia which i use as a work contact phone (recenlty died)., Own mobile but not willing to use this for work.

Looking at super phones which could help me organise myself Blackberries etc (no access to work stuff) BUT also looking at nice filofax which would be useful. Would I be better going for better mobile organiser or paper filofax, bearing in mind need to store most numbers on mobile

At the minute, have to note work stuff into my own diary just in case of conflicts (work part time). Seem to be duplicvating stuff and getting irritating.

I am 50+ but happy to use techno options if really makes better sense

19 Comments

Neither...get yourself a decent PDA :thumbsup: it will be much more useful to you...

Well I use a Blackberry Pearl for the emails when out and about and also put my diary on it as well but I do use a Filofax too I am 44 and to be honest using both systems works for me best

Original Poster

mikebike;6500182

Well I use a Blackberry Pearl for the emails when out and about and also … Well I use a Blackberry Pearl for the emails when out and about and also put my diary on it as well but I do use a Filofax too I am 44 and to be honest using both systems works for me best

BOTH..... :?

Why do you need to filofax then?

Original Poster

StevenA2000_uk;6500171

Neither...get yourself a decent PDA :thumbsup: it will be much more … Neither...get yourself a decent PDA :thumbsup: it will be much more useful to you...

Interested, tell me how?

Outlook calendar and e mail in work but cannot access this out of work. Own diary at home so have to copy eveything to make sure no clashes.

Just wish I could combine all in one system....life would be so much easier :-D

as already mentioned, a PDA would be a good idea as if you take it to work with you, you can put all new diary entrys and numbers in that, then sync it with your home computer. Instead of using a diary you can just check your pda or computer

Original Poster

deadduck_145;6500845

as already mentioned, a PDA would be a good idea as if you take it to … as already mentioned, a PDA would be a good idea as if you take it to work with you, you can put all new diary entrys and numbers in that, then sync it with your home computer. Instead of using a diary you can just check your pda or computer

Many thanks but would I be better updating my mobile to something fancy that could cope with PDA info + more. Really interested in your response

iglimpse;6500890

Many thanks but would I be better updating my mobile to something fancy … Many thanks but would I be better updating my mobile to something fancy that could cope with PDA info + more. Really interested in your response

yeah exactly, so if you got, like you said a blackberry, that would manage your contacts, emails and diary. although im no expert so dont know what the diary function is like. So maybe a filofax would be best, or just a normal (small) diary that you carry with you? aswell

Original Poster

deadduck_145;6501074

yeah exactly, so if you got, like you said a blackberry, that would … yeah exactly, so if you got, like you said a blackberry, that would manage your contacts, emails and diary. although im no expert so dont know what the diary function is like. So maybe a filofax would be best, or just a normal (small) diary that you carry with you? aswell

Much appreciated but trying to cut down on what I need to carry about

I use both a daytimer and a blackberry with outlook.

Original Poster

pghstochaj;6501466

I use both a daytimer and a blackberry with outlook.

:? Whats a daytimer?

iglimpse;6512276

:? Whats a daytimer?

daytimer.co.uk/

Original Poster

pghstochaj;6519957

http://www.daytimer.co.uk/

Many thanks.....but it looks very similar to a filofax.

PDA idea sounds ideal but surely better to get something similar which includes a phone as well

iglimpse;6522788

Many thanks.....but it looks very similar to a filofax.PDA idea sounds … Many thanks.....but it looks very similar to a filofax.PDA idea sounds ideal but surely better to get something similar which includes a phone as well

I haven't actually seen anybody use a PDA for PDA tasks, a blackberry yes, an iphone yes. But I use a daytimer for some things and a blackberry with outlook for other things

Original Poster

pghstochaj;6528350

I haven't actually seen anybody use a PDA for PDA tasks, a blackberry … I haven't actually seen anybody use a PDA for PDA tasks, a blackberry yes, an iphone yes. But I use a daytimer for some things and a blackberry with outlook for other things

So what do they use a PDA for then :oops:

Have a basic diary now and cannot contemplate additional device. So has to be either or but not BOTH

iglimpse;6531648

So what do they use a PDA for then :oops:Have a basic diary now and … So what do they use a PDA for then :oops:Have a basic diary now and cannot contemplate additional device. So has to be either or but not BOTH

They just don't, I haven't seen anybody using a PDA, it's always Blackberrys and iPhones backed up by a paper diary in some form. I don't repeat the information I have in both. Some info stays in my day timer (i.e. minor tasks) whilst when I arrange a meeting, I either enter it into outlook directly, my blackberry directly or if not appropriate, it goes into my daytimer to be added later.

I am not a sales person however, so can only give it from the point of view of a consulting engineer.

Original Poster

pghstochaj;6534480

They just don't, I haven't seen anybody using a PDA, it's always … They just don't, I haven't seen anybody using a PDA, it's always Blackberrys and iPhones backed up by a paper diary in some form. I don't repeat the information I have in both. Some info stays in my day timer (i.e. minor tasks) whilst when I arrange a meeting, I either enter it into outlook directly, my blackberry directly or if not appropriate, it goes into my daytimer to be added later. I am not a sales person however, so can only give it from the point of view of a consulting engineer.

Very helpful, many thanks. Extra hours in work, loads more meetings. Work part time and so limited access to work Outlook. I sometimes work on my day off and claim the time back so hence the need for good organisation for both home / work events needed AND now need to claim expenses for travel and other items...never done that before, very time consuming and drives me nuts. I have lost money because forget to claim, or cannot face the hassle :w00t:

iglimpse;6534986

Very helpful, many thanks. Extra hours in work, loads more meetings. … Very helpful, many thanks. Extra hours in work, loads more meetings. Work part time and so limited access to work Outlook. I sometimes work on my day off and claim the time back so hence the need for good organisation for both home / work events needed AND now need to claim expenses for travel and other items...never done that before, very time consuming and drives me nuts. I have lost money because forget to claim, or cannot face the hassle :w00t:

That's what I use a daytimer for. I record all my mileage and expenses, work in the evening and at weekend. Then I have to book it into our system every so often as required so work through it and total everything. I also use this as a reminder for basic tasks to start with the following day/week.

However, this is only what work provides me with so maybe there are better solutions out there.

I then use my Blackberry as my primary or secondary tool for outlook (so meeting information etc.) and my laptop with 3g dongle is usually with me too. I don't have work email on my Blackberry (except through work's webmail service) as I know I would check it too often and end up working 7 day weeks every week.

Original Poster

That's why decided against a Blackberry, don't really need to access e mails that much. Considering IPhone maybe. Oh and also have an old mobile which I use for work, they pay the bills....just too much stuff!

iglimpse;6535059

That's why decided against a Blackberry, don't really need to access e … That's why decided against a Blackberry, don't really need to access e mails that much. Considering IPhone maybe. Oh and also have an old mobile which I use for work, they pay the bills....just too much stuff!

I also have a work mobile, but that's just for calls - I don't sync it for anything else. They are roling out iphones at the moment but I will probably decline as I don't need a BB and an iPhone. Blackberry is excellent though, I often need mine for Googlemaps on the move, checking email through webmail when needed and outlook. Problem is, every role is different.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a luxury five-star break for two in Paris with Le Bristol Paris and Eur…67
      2. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64545
      3. Win a flagship smartphone - the HTC U1134
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk66

See more discussions