Blacklisted iphone help

Found 16th Feb
I bought an iphone 8 plus off a guy on facebook marketplace for 510 quid all worked fine but a week later he reported it lost or stolen and blacklisted the phone. Vodafone wont help and surprise surprise he blocked me on facebook. No idea what to do, anyone else had similar problems and find any resolution? Any help appreciated
Community Updates
AskPhones
48 Comments
Did you actually meet up with him? If not, why not? More fool you, sadly.

Always meet them at their house, ask for a bill from their carrier, or ID. Go to the Police, if you have details of him.
Nothing you can do, thats the problem with marketplaces such as facebook and gumtree etc. If its too good to be true, it probably is...
I'd also go to the police, sounds like he's commiting fraud
Sell it with international postage on eBay, Just state it won't make calls in UK. You'll get a bit back at least. You could potentially take him to a small claims court but whether you would be successful or not is another matter.
artnada1 h, 46 m ago

Did you actually meet up with him? If not, why not? More fool you, …Did you actually meet up with him? If not, why not? More fool you, sadly.Always meet them at their house, ask for a bill from their carrier, or ID. Go to the Police, if you have details of him.

Did you actually read what was written?
The OP stated it worked for a week. Regardless of if they met in person. Unless they lived like a couple for 7 days he could still have been screwed over.
Oneday777 m ago

Did you actually read what was written?The OP stated it worked for a week. …Did you actually read what was written?The OP stated it worked for a week. Regardless of if they met in person. Unless they lived like a couple for 7 days he could still have been screwed over.

it might have worked for a week but the point the OP was making is though not very well is that if they had met up in person and you know where the person lives you have little chance of getting the money back. If you know where the person lives and have all of their details you at least have a very small chance of trying to get the money back by going round there or trying a small claims court process. Other than that nothing can be done.
eslick2 m ago

it might have worked for a week but the point the OP was making is though …it might have worked for a week but the point the OP was making is though not very well is that if they had met up in person and you know where the person lives you have little chance of getting the money back. If you know where the person lives and have all of their details you at least have a very small chance of trying to get the money back by going round there or trying a small claims court process. Other than that nothing can be done.

Which is fair enough. Though the more fool you comment was a bit

It still wouldn’t necessarily stop a contract cancellation.
If your payed via paypal then try ringing them and explain the issue and see if you're covered under buyer protection ..... if you paid cash ... DOH ...

This seems common ... i experienced this before on eBay same scenario but mine was over 180 days for the money back guarantee.
I guess ring the police helpline and see what they will do
How did you pay?
Bertz994 m ago

How did you pay?

I'm hoping PayPal
Op needs to update on how item was paid for ..........
Oneday7713 m ago

Which is fair enough. Though the more fool you comment was a bit It …Which is fair enough. Though the more fool you comment was a bit It still wouldn’t necessarily stop a contract cancellation.

as I said poster was not making their point very well

Wouldn't stop the contact but it might get the seller to give them the money back by shaming them, been done a couple of times on here or there are also other ways.....
Bradleigh9 m ago

I'm hoping PayPalOp needs to update on how item was paid for ..........

Even so I doubt a scammer would accept anything other than friends & family payment if they took PayPal, so the op would still be out of pocket with no chance of a refund.

Such a common scam, I'm guessing that it was either -

Bank transfer/PayPal gift and delivery.

Cash and collected from a public place.

Unlikely a seasoned scammer would take PayPal goods payment and or supply their actual address in case of comeback. Might have even been a fake Facebook profile.
Happened to the father in law with a Samsung phone although luckily he bought it from CEX so they exchanged it and without batting an eyelid, obviously very common and a risk buying second hand phones.
Original Poster
Was paid cash. As for the more fool me well obviously or i wouldnt be sitting with a 510 quid brick 🙄 cheers for the decent replies though lesson learned i suppose, dont buy second hand mobile phones
Original Poster
And as for meeting up with him i asked if any chance he could deliver it cause i crashed my car in the snow a few weeks ago, stupid i know easy saying i shouldnt have after its done though
Oh dear!!
The only benefit to the seller in blocking your phone is if they were going to claim on insurance. The only way they can claim on insurance is to report it to the police and get a crime reference number.

If they have done the above it amounts to fraud. The plus side for you is the police will have the imie number from the stolen phone (they would have had to report stolen if they had wanted replacement as a lost phone would not be covered in most cases)

My advice.. Go to local police or call 101 and report this crime.

Hope it works out for you.
Yeah OP don't let the scammers win, report it.
If you report it the Police will take the phone so you will get nothing. It belongs to the insurance company if they paid out for it.
markvirgo9 h, 30 m ago

If you report it the Police will take the phone so you will get nothing. …If you report it the Police will take the phone so you will get nothing. It belongs to the insurance company if they paid out for it.

well technically that's not true, as he likely sold it to the OP before claiming on his insurance it still belongs to the OP, the insurer got ripped off by a fraudster who no longer owned the phone so they have no automatic right to it.
maddogb20 h, 20 m ago

well technically that's not true, as he likely sold it to the OP before …well technically that's not true, as he likely sold it to the OP before claiming on his insurance it still belongs to the OP, the insurer got ripped off by a fraudster who no longer owned the phone so they have no automatic right to it.

Unfortunatly not so, Like stolen cars the property becomes the property of the insurance company once any claim is made even after the property is sold. It doesn't matter when the property is sold before or after the claim.
markvirgo12 h, 16 m ago

Unfortunatly not so, Like stolen cars the property becomes the property of …Unfortunatly not so, Like stolen cars the property becomes the property of the insurance company once any claim is made even after the property is sold. It doesn't matter when the property is sold before or after the claim.

really? do you have any reference for that? sounds very illogical, a bit like saying a bigamist must stick with the last wife he married
maddogb14 h, 25 m ago

really? do you have any reference for that? sounds very illogical, a bit …really? do you have any reference for that? sounds very illogical, a bit like saying a bigamist must stick with the last wife he married

Putting it simply, the insurance company bought the interest in the phone when they paid out the money, therefore the phone is now theirs.
The insurance company never sold the item to the new buyer

A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and “thief” and “steal” shall be construed accordingly. In this case the insurance company.

As the new buyer was unaware of this they wouldn't be held responsable but would potentially lose out

look here
citizensadvice.org.uk/con…ds/
Not a hard job finding out his address and going there with a few mates.

He's blocked you so make a new Facebook or get someone else to pass on a message, find a few of his Facebook friends and get his address (offer to pay if need be).

Make a fake sexy girl Facebook account and add him to get access if you can't see any likes or comments on his page.

Plan A) The above with a baseball bat.

Plan B) Police.
markvirgo9 h, 43 m ago

Putting it simply, the insurance company bought the interest in the phone …Putting it simply, the insurance company bought the interest in the phone when they paid out the money, therefore the phone is now theirs.The insurance company never sold the item to the new buyer A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and “thief” and “steal” shall be construed accordingly. In this case the insurance company.As the new buyer was unaware of this they wouldn't be held responsable but would potentially lose outlook herehttps://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/somethings-gone-wrong-with-a-purchase/if-you-think-youve-bought-stolen-goods/

Sorry mate but i think it is you who needs things "put simply", the insurance company cannot buy an interest in something that is not legal to sell.
Your link is irrelevant because it is about stolen goods, so far we are going on the basis that the goods were in the full legal ownership of the seller who then passed the goods to the OP and then claimed fraudulently on his insurance.
I think for your post to have any chance of being true there would have to be statute or precedent where it was that insurers held an interest from issue of policy but the complications i could see arising from that would be pretty
Doesn't the phone company own the handset until its paid off in full or 'x' number of months into contract?

Potentially then the handset wasn't the sellers to sell...?
andynicol14 h, 7 m ago

Doesn't the phone company own the handset until its paid off in full or …Doesn't the phone company own the handset until its paid off in full or 'x' number of months into contract?Potentially then the handset wasn't the sellers to sell...?

never heard of that before....got any reason/ing behind it? seems OP has lost interest anyway
Reported it lost or stolen? Really? Really?? You don't think the reason is overwhelmingly likely to be that they stopped paying the contract. Duh smh
jco831 h, 41 m ago

Reported it lost or stolen? Really? Really?? You don't think the reason is …Reported it lost or stolen? Really? Really?? You don't think the reason is overwhelmingly likely to be that they stopped paying the contract. Duh smh

again not something that seems logical to do,
the contract they have is usually for line rental calls etc not the phone, if they blocked the phone it would leave all sorts of legal issues complicating the pursuit and recovery of any debt incurred pre and post breech of contract.

Duh smh
maddogb22 m ago

again not something that seems logical to do, the contract they have is …again not something that seems logical to do, the contract they have is usually for line rental calls etc not the phone, if they blocked the phone it would leave all sorts of legal issues complicating the pursuit and recovery of any debt incurred pre and post breech of contract.Duh smh

A mobile phone contract includes the cost of the handset
jco8320 m ago

A mobile phone contract includes the cost of the handset

ofc it does IRL
but say they did block a handset then you decided to defend any legal action pursued to recover the fees owed under the contract that was stopped short, do you think a judge would allow any judgement knowing that the signee had neither access to the phone nor services under the contract?
Me, i'm not so sure, and i can find no reliable evidence to confirm this actually happens, can you?
maddogb10 m ago

ofc it does IRL but say they did block a handset then you decided to …ofc it does IRL but say they did block a handset then you decided to defend any legal action pursued to recover the fees owed under the contract that was stopped short, do you think a judge would allow any judgement knowing that the signee had neither access to the phone nor services under the contract?Me, i'm not so sure, and i can find no reliable evidence to confirm this actually happens, can you?

You think when a mobile phone contract stops getting payed the network wouldn't get the phone blacklisted
jco832 m ago

You think when a mobile phone contract stops getting payed the network …You think when a mobile phone contract stops getting payed the network wouldn't get the phone blacklisted

not really relevant what i think but it certainly would not make sense from a legal perspective, blocking the sim to prevent further abuse certainly, but the phone itself, not so sure for the above reasons...
maddogb3 m ago

not really relevant what i think but it certainly would not make sense …not really relevant what i think but it certainly would not make sense from a legal perspective, blocking the sim to prevent further abuse certainly, but the phone itself, not so sure for the above reasons...

Really. An expensive device ceases being payed for and the provider just allows the device to continue to function. Really?
No evidence, no. Just common sense.
maddogb7 m ago

not really relevant what i think but it certainly would not make sense …not really relevant what i think but it certainly would not make sense from a legal perspective, blocking the sim to prevent further abuse certainly, but the phone itself, not so sure for the above reasons...

They do tend to block mobiles now.
jco839 m ago

Really. An expensive device ceases being payed for and the provider just …Really. An expensive device ceases being payed for and the provider just allows the device to continue to function. Really?No evidence, no. Just common sense.

common maybe, sense, most definitely not,
the telcos are not going to accept it is their property as that would make them liable for its upkeep, insurance repair etc and it would seem unlikely that anyone but the "owner" could imei block a phone, otherwise what is to stop anyone from blocking anyone elses phone..
maddogb1 h, 47 m ago

common maybe, sense, most definitely not, the telcos are not going to …common maybe, sense, most definitely not, the telcos are not going to accept it is their property as that would make them liable for its upkeep, insurance repair etc and it would seem unlikely that anyone but the "owner" could imei block a phone, otherwise what is to stop anyone from blocking anyone elses phone..

Whatever, I'm done.
jco8314 m ago

Whatever, I'm done.

good, i wondered why you pursued the debate this long with nothing to substantiate your side.

I am not advocating the theft of mobile phones by this method but in reality it is the OP who has lost and certain statements made by others read like they were discouraging the OP to pursue this matter further which is not a good idea, the conman in question deserves tracking and punishing.
maddogb19 m ago

good, i wondered why you pursued the debate this long with nothing to …good, i wondered why you pursued the debate this long with nothing to substantiate your side.I am not advocating the theft of mobile phones by this method but in reality it is the OP who has lost and certain statements made by others read like they were discouraging the OP to pursue this matter further which is not a good idea, the conman in question deserves tracking and punishing.

Because that's what makes sense to me. I'm not just talking about the OP. I'm talking in general.
People take out a phone contract, sell the phone, stop paying the bill, the phone gets blocked.
I can see that to be something that would happen IRL. It seems obvious to me. Spout all the legal ramifications you like.
maddogb8 h, 13 m ago

never heard of that before....got any reason/ing behind it? seems OP has …never heard of that before....got any reason/ing behind it? seems OP has lost interest anyway

Do you think users can take out contract mobile phones and own them from the outset?

re previous, do you really think that companies don't block handsets reported lost/stolen or when the user stops paying there bill....?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions