Groups

Blank Scrren Help

Clicked on an email last night & screen went blank. When booting up it sometimes flashes with some of the normal stuff, but this is just for a couple of seconds. Pretty sure its going through the normal procedure as the red light churns away.
    Any ideas will be greatly appreciated as I don't have a screen to look at.

5 Comments

If it's XP, tap F8 after initiall boot screen and it will give you some options...

Try Safe Mode or Last Known Working...

or better yet choose the vga option. the email may have contained code that changed your screen resolution to mode you monitor doesn't support. vga mode will allow you to reset it to a standard mode hth

please dont tell me it was msn?

Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I am on XP & tried F8, but now seem to have a completely blank screen so don't know what's going on in the background. Do you think it could be the monitor & not the pc?

if it only blanks once XP begins then its likely to be an issue with xp itself. if it blanks before it start to load the OS then its likely to be a hardware fault. if this is the case then first port of call would be the monitor or graphics card. try by substitution. if its neither of these then its a case of unlugging everything from the motherboard and going through trial and error to find the culprit. i had one this weekend with exactly the same symptoms and it turned out to be the hard drive.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. 'Hard' Brexit offers '£135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News11
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764382
      3. How dangerous is Donald trump?32187
      4. Show us your Photos 2017. August's Theme - Animals30383

See more discussions