Expired

Blaupunkt 32" TV versus Toshiba 32" TV

Found 1st Mar 2014
My Blaupunkt 32" TV shows a wavy pattern which is very clear on light background. Tesco direct has offered me the Toshiba one as Blaupunkt is out of stock.
tesco.com/dir…prd

Anybody has any ideas if it is a better make as the only advantage I can see on Blaupunkt is the record to USB feature.

5 Comments

The wavy pattern you talk about - is it what we refer to in the trade as a "herringbone" pattern? I.e. it is very repetative in nature and scrolls down (or across) the screen?

If so, it sounds more like a type of 'RF' interference coming from an external source either nearby or connected to the tv. Some tuners can be susceptible to influence like that. Have you noticed the pattern all the time or only at certain times? Have you tried playing; say; a DVD whilst unplugging the aerial - to see if the pattern is still there?

In answer to your question however, I don't know if I dare answer. Hehe. I know I'll get shot down but many years ago my area engineer told me that Toshiba are the worst brand (internally) by far. Having said that, I do own a Toshiba TV from decades ago that still runs ok(ish!) I certainly know that Blaupunkt are very good quality made units. It's all down to personal circumstance and choice but if it were me (and it's not, thankfully) I would say "no thank you" to the Tosh.
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 1st Mar 2014

both equally poor in terms of picture and build quality

Original Poster

Phsycronix

The wavy pattern you talk about - is it what we refer to in the trade as … The wavy pattern you talk about - is it what we refer to in the trade as a "herringbone" pattern? I.e. it is very repetative in nature and scrolls down (or across) the screen?If so, it sounds more like a type of 'RF' interference coming from an external source either nearby or connected to the tv. Some tuners can be suseptible to influence like that. Have you noticed the pattern all the time or only at certain times? Have you tried playing; say; a DVD whilst unplugging the aerial - to see if the pattern is still there?In answer to your question however, I don't know if I dare answer. Hehe. I know I'll get shot down but many years ago my area engineer told me that Toshiba are the worst brand (internally) by far. Having said that, I do own a toshiba TV from decades ago that still runs ok(ish!) I certainly know that Blaupunkt are very good quality made units. It's all down to personal circumstance and choice but if it were me (and it's not, thankfully) I would say "no thank you" to the Tosh.

The wavy pattern is on the lower half of the screen. I was first testing with my laptop when I noticed it. I removed the TV and kept it aside and the pattern is visible when we have blue "No signal" background. I have not noticed this with my LG LED TV though so if there is interference I would expect both to be affected.

varunadas

The wavy pattern is on the lower half of the screen. I was first testing … The wavy pattern is on the lower half of the screen. I was first testing with my laptop when I noticed it. I removed the TV and kept it aside and the pattern is visible when we have blue "No signal" background. I have not noticed this with my LG LED TV though so if there is interference I would expect both to be affected.

your lg might have better magnetic shielding

varunadas

The wavy pattern is on the lower half of the screen. I was first testing … The wavy pattern is on the lower half of the screen. I was first testing with my laptop when I noticed it. I removed the TV and kept it aside and the pattern is visible when we have blue "No signal" background. I have not noticed this with my LG LED TV though so if there is interference I would expect both to be affected.

Not necessarily, my friend. As I said, some tuners are more susceptible than others. If the RF output channels clash, it was a given for interference somewhere and connected equipment like Sky boxes, Freeview and older VCR's all had tuners in too. Pain in the rear end! Haha.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions