Groups

block torrents through router

Is it possible to block the use of torrents through the router (superhub 3)?

18 Comments

Just don't use torrents?

Original Poster

praevalens

Just don't use torrents?

I don't, its other people that have access to our router that continue to use them

Only if u pay for VPN and u control the net and access but if shared rented house. Not sure if their is rules

Original Poster

dorey69

Only if u pay for VPN and u control the net and access but if shared … Only if u pay for VPN and u control the net and access but if shared rented house. Not sure if their is rules

I don't use a VPN, just thought there might be a way within the router settings.

Is it bt? and are you the account holder?

praevalens

Is it bt? and are you the account holder?

Superhub 3 is Virgin

If its you who pays the bill, change the password and don't let anybody else use it.

What's wrong with Bittorrent ? it's still the most cost effective and reliable way to transfer data.

Original Poster

Toon_army

Superhub 3 is VirginIf its you who pays the bill, change the password and … Superhub 3 is VirginIf its you who pays the bill, change the password and don't let anybody else use it.

How about blocking the ip or MAC address of the laptop being used?
    Edited by: "YouMuppet" 10th Feb

You can block an entire port range but then changing them via the bittorrect client is easy enough and gets round your restriction, it's not just the trackers though, DHT would use a different port range than trackers.

If the hub supports it you could use QOS (quality of service) rules, make a guest wi-fi account with 200 kbps download limit, fast enough for browisng, crap for downloading files.

why you being so selfish remember sharing is caring and feed the needy and also when done downloading torrents dont forget to seedy

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Blocking-P2P-on-the-network/td-p/1481152

See post #2 best way is to block the torrent file extension (.torrent and *.torrent) in the keyword filter of the superhub.

Bittorrent uses TCP to transfer files and UDP for searching. It will … Bittorrent uses TCP to transfer files and UDP for searching. It will use port 80 if the default TCP ports 6881-6889,6969 and 8080 can not be reached. Some bittorrent clients also support HTTP downloading.To completely block BT, please block UDP port 1024-65534 in your router.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11566671/how-block-bittorrent-download-manager-through-asa

You could try blocking those ports, you can't block HTTP though...

I have a Superhub 2 and the interface is pretty basic - I don't know how you can block outgoing ports, but I disliked it sufficiently that I only use it as a modem, I have my age old router still attached.

Tell them your isp has sent you a letter threatening court action

Tell them to stop using torrents or you'll change the wifi password and stand by that conviction. People will take the p*** if you let them. If they don't respect your wishes using your internet in your home then sod em!

Original Poster

sjr1974uk

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Blocking-P2P-on-the-network/td-p/1481152See post #2 best way is to block the torrent file extension (.torrent and *.torrent) in the keyword filter of the superhub.

Do you know if this is possible on the superhub 3? I can't find it

Who is using them?

You could slow them down a bit, by disabling UPNP - with no UPNP or port forwarding, the choice of peers is limited to those which DO allow incoming ports

YouMuppet

Do you know if this is possible on the superhub 3? I can't find it

Looks like they took the option off on latest superhubs. Anyway this might help can limit time of day they can use the Internet?

community.virginmedia.com/t5/…664

Edited by: "sjr1974uk" 11th Feb
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. LG G6 International [email protected] droidauthority11
      2. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…66
      3. wharf comp - win a michael grant watch - email entry only22
      4. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card11

See more discussions