Blocking live wire

Found 5th Nov 2017
I've removed a socket from a wall with the back box. I'm going to plaster over the hole but I want to know what to do with the wire.
The wire will be staying there I just want something safer then having electrical tape around it. Is there some sort of wire capping or blanking box I could use.
If someone could link me to one in screwfix as I have got one close would be ideal.
Thank you
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
6 Comments
Is the cable still connected to the mains ? If so wouldn't it be safer to follow the cable back to its source and disconnect it there ?
As kester you should disconnect it but at very least put it in a terminal block (Link). It’s not going to be buried in plaster is it? You can just buy a blanking plate that screws into the backplate (Link
Original Poster
The cable is still connected into the mains, I'm not gonna move that. I can't have a blanking plate as I am building a wardrobe in the wall and the socket is in the way, hence why I am moving it. The wire gonna stay in the cavity so I might use it at a later date.
cornishjones50 m ago

The cable is still connected into the mains, I'm not gonna move that. I …The cable is still connected into the mains, I'm not gonna move that. I can't have a blanking plate as I am building a wardrobe in the wall and the socket is in the way, hence why I am moving it. The wire gonna stay in the cavity so I might use it at a later date.

Bad idea as the next person will probably drill through it. Not sure how you can build a wardrobe in a wall, do you mean against it ?
i would suggets you crimp the wires or join using wago blocks. Then use insulation tape over the whole connection. As once they are crimped or joined using wago block they can be a non access connection. You can normally pull the wire out the wall from floorboards above or as the above post has mentioned remove it from the last terminal. But in doing so you most likey have to route anothe wire to complete the ring circuit. IMO i would just crimp the joints together and use heat shrink insulation or electrical tape if you plan to reuse the connection in the future.
crimping
wago connections
Original Poster
Thanks everyone done it now. Got those wago blocks, was told by my elec friend to use the same.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants