Expired

Blokes selling 'bargain' memory foam mattresses out of a van

Found 30th Jul 2013
Was helping my friend move house when these guys pulled up and tried the hard sell, showed my friend these mattresses in the back of the van which conveniently had the RRP prices right on the end so the guy could show how much he's knocking off.

I dragged my friend away just as they were about to part with £160 and talked some sense into them, unfortunately I didn't get the license plate or name of the 'company' as I was so angry. Anybody else come across these scam artists?
Community Updates
23 Comments
This happens nationwide in every single county. Best thing to do is call 101 provide what details you can to your local police force, they will likely be tracking the movements of these scam artists through their intelligence department.
Edited by: "Astec123" 30th Jul 2013
Astec123

This happens nationwide in every single county. Best thing to do is call … This happens nationwide in every single county. Best thing to do is call 101 provide what details you can to your local police force, they will likely be tracking the movements of these scam artists through their intelligence department.

Yeah it's the first time i've heard of it down here in Cornwall, so annoyed I didn't get any details, will ask my friend if they remember anything.
Happens practically everywhere, apart from where wtp lives
they come round quite often in my area, they ask for £180 managed to get them down to £110 not the best quality but comfy enough
Was it these two by any chance?

http://crazy-frankenstein.com/free-wallpapers-files/tv-series-wallpapers/only-fools-and-horses-wallpapers/only-fools-and-horses-trotters-independent-traders-tv-serie-wallpapers.jpg

Of course it doesnt, your gates are a bit of a put off to the prospective con artist

http://www.wireweldingmachine.com/welded-fence/garden-security-fence.jpg

whatsThePoint

never happens here

DestinyCalls815

Happens practically everywhere, apart from where wtp lives

Well if you stop driving like a ............
Some **** pulled up outside our next door neighbours the other day and was selling what looked like bottles of drink and other food.

I went out and started yelling at him to **** off and he drove off sharpish.

I managed to take note of part of the writing on the vehicle

Mi*k & *ore.

Shysters.
Seen one of these myself, got to say it was quite tempting, he said they were surplus from a hotel or something like that, £90 for a double.
Mark2111

Some **** pulled up outside our next door neighbours the other day and … Some **** pulled up outside our next door neighbours the other day and was selling what looked like bottles of drink and other food.I went out and started yelling at him to **** off and he drove off sharpish.I managed to take note of part of the writing on the vehicleMi*k & *ore.Shysters.

Nationwide outfit them. Always out proper early too, to avoid the five-oh.

Shifty or what.
Years ago, my dad was sold a tv from the back of a van, behind our local supermarket. He came home chuffed to bits that he got a bargain. Turned out it had no electics etc inside just bricks.. he wasnt happy.. lesson learnt
Seen this van in my local area,

http://s7.postimg.org/aqg2pxmkb/ORCI.jpg

HUKD members van?
It's a well known scam.

They go around knocking on elderly people's homes pretending to be from the council and are looking for woodworm. Whilst the old dears are putting the kettle on to make the 'nice men from the council' a lovely cup of tea the blokes are upstairs stealing the mattress which they throw out of the window to their waiting accomplices who load the mattress into the van.

Imagine your grandparents going to bed and not realising the mattress had been stolen and having to lie on a hard divan base?

Then the crooks have a brand new mattress which they show off to people wanting to buy but really you receive a urine stained OAPs mattress which has been carefully wrapped.

A truly terrible crime.
Mark2111

It's a well known scam.They go around knocking on elderly people's homes … It's a well known scam.They go around knocking on elderly people's homes pretending to be from the council and are looking for woodworm. Whilst the old dears are putting the kettle on to make the 'nice men from the council' a lovely cup of tea the blokes are upstairs stealing the mattress which they throw out of the window to their waiting accomplices who load the mattress into the van.Imagine your grandparents going to bed and not realising the mattress had been stolen and having to lie on a hard divan base? Then the crooks have a brand new mattress which they show off to people wanting to buy but really you receive a urine stained OAPs mattress which has been carefully wrapped.A truly terrible crime.

So they could steal jewellery, money, TV's, cheque books, and so on. but no they go for an old mattress instead, which would struggle to fit out of a standard window anyway.

Surely a better idea is to buy a load of second hand ones and flog them as new.

No wonder crime doesn't pay if they spend all their time throwing stained mattresses out of windows.
These sound like the feared silentnight mob.
transit

These sound like the feared silentnight mob.

Don't be Sealy.
Surely they would just steal something smaller, a mattress must be the silliest thing you could steal, and I shouldn't imagine that they could do it without making a racket and smashing things
bargincrazylover

Surely they would just steal something smaller, a mattress must be the … Surely they would just steal something smaller, a mattress must be the silliest thing you could steal, and I shouldn't imagine that they could do it without making a racket and smashing things

I feel ashamed for misleading you. My posts are sometimes to be taken with a pinch of salt.
bargincrazylover

Surely they would just steal something smaller, a mattress must be the … Surely they would just steal something smaller, a mattress must be the silliest thing you could steal, and I shouldn't imagine that they could do it without making a racket and smashing things

Believe me the silentnight mob hardly make any noise, these things are made from the finest duck down......... no need to smash the place up.
Mark2111

I feel ashamed for misleading you. My posts are sometimes to be taken … I feel ashamed for misleading you. My posts are sometimes to be taken with a pinch of salt.

And here's me thinking my gran would ring me tomorrow to tell me the council men had stolen her mattress, even though all her money was on the dressing table
Orci got his fingers burnt tonight......
damn I wish they were around my area, I'm looking for a memory foam mattress could do with a new(ly stolen) one at a much lower price.
Yeh I foolishly bought a bed and mattress from them, lasted less than a year before they got thrown out, the mattress will sag and the bed base is basically got very very thin almost a cardboard like topping on it which warps.
I have learned to stick with shop bought, maybe more expensive but you will get more comfort and wear out of them which is what you want.
you end up with a memory foam mattress with altzhiemers.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Merchants