Groups

Blokes, would you change your name for your missus?!?

My wife and I got into a conversation this weekend which at the start was a bit jokey but quickly turned into a full blown debate about sex and equality. Her question was "Why did I have to take your last name when we married?" followed by "Why couldn't you have taken my name?". At first I joked about it and said if it was the law for the other way round I would have had no problem taking her name but it kinda evolved into "Well, if I asked you to change our names now by deed of poll, would you do it?". Now I'd like to think I am a modern man and all that but when push came to shove I had to honestly say no and although she got into a bit of a huff I told the truth.

So would you take/change your name of your loved one if she asked you to? Was I wrong/sexist for saying no?!!

50 Comments

I dont think it is the law to change your name when married - I didnt change my name when I got married last year.

Banned

I think it depends on how you feel about a name, alot of men feel the name makes them who they are, rather than it just being a name, its a man thing

Banned

go doubled barrelled?

jubbyme;8792505

go doubled barrelled?

i always think thats a bit cheesy!

Banned

No, but I wouldn't ask her to change hers either.

She might think differently regarding possible issues with any future child bearing a different surname from one of the partners.

Original Poster

jubbyme;8792505

go doubled barrelled?

I/we ain't posh!

depends on the woman, if the right one asked I'd change my name to betty and wear a dress everyday until the day she died.

Supermod

Never.

Not changing my name and our kids will have my name too

i wouldn't as i like the name richard & jenny wouldn't suit me

Original Poster

ants97;8792528

depends on the woman, if the right one asked I'd change my name to betty … depends on the woman, if the right one asked I'd change my name to betty and wear a dress everyday until the day she died.

Whatever turns you on... :whistling:

ants97;8792528

depends on the woman, if the right one asked I'd change my name to betty … depends on the woman, if the right one asked I'd change my name to betty and wear a dress everyday until the day she died.

I dont know whether to laugh at that or go AAAaaahhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

okay am laughing :lol:

No, her surname is Scrotum.

Original Poster

bossyboots;8792499

I dont think it is the law to change your name when married - I didnt … I dont think it is the law to change your name when married - I didnt change my name when I got married last year.

BTW, congratulations on your marriage and your first year anniversary!

skusey;8792564

dont tell me your first name is Itchy?

(only clean option I could post!!!)

Original Poster

skusey;8792564

You wouldn't happen to be called Richard or William, would ya?!

ants97;8792528

richp;8792543

i wouldn't as i like the name richard & jenny wouldn't suit me

made me titter (i'm allowed to titter on here aint i :p)

ei8hty5ive;8792571

BTW, congratulations on your marriage and your first year anniversary!

lol only been 5 months - fingers crossed we make it to the first year :-D

ei8hty5ive;8792580

You wouldn't happen to be called Richard or William, would ya?!

Dont be silly, its Ivor.:whistling:

No way i would change my surname.

I would tell my wife to shut up and finish off the ironing.

As Mr T would say, get some Nuts!

I have the same surname as my ex so wouldn't have made any difference to me

michelleleemoo;8792586

made me titter (i'm allowed to titter on here aint i :p)

only large titters allowed :w00t:

michelleleemoo;8792610

I have the same surname as my ex so wouldn't have made any difference to … I have the same surname as my ex so wouldn't have made any difference to me

:w00t: what are the chances of that!!!!!!!!

Banned

bossyboots;8792619

quite high as he is her ex, supposing she married him and kept his name still!

richp;8792617

and dont we have very large titters at this loooool (still howl with laughter at that!!)

[IMG]i789.photobucket.com/alb…jpg?t=1276032685[/IMG]

Original Poster

michelleleemoo;8792610

I have the same surname as my ex so wouldn't have made any difference to … I have the same surname as my ex so wouldn't have made any difference to me

I kinda misunderstood that...

It didn't matter cause you both had the same name or it didn't matter because she is now an EX gf?!!!

richp;8792617

thats me out then grrrr

bossyboots;8792619

gawd knows

jubbyme;8792633

quite high as he is her ex, supposing she married him and kept his name … quite high as he is her ex, supposing she married him and kept his name still!

married? me? hell no! so thats yr theory done.

jubbyme;8792505

go doubled barrelled?

Thats what i did! as i didnt want the same name as my mother in law!!! eugh cringe at the thought !lol and also being an only child and a girl and no cousins etc with the surname wanted to keep the name going !
    ei8hty5ive;8792518

I/we ain't posh!

dont have to be nowadays !! theres lots of kids in my kids school with double barrelled names :thumbsup:

ei8hty5ive;8792647

I kinda misunderstood that...It didn't matter cause you both had the same … I kinda misunderstood that...It didn't matter cause you both had the same name or it didn't matter because she is now an EX gf?!!!

I'M FEEEEEMALE :w00t:
    wouldnt have mattered if we had of done that worb that begins with m as we already had the same surname :-D

bossyboots;8792645

and dont we have very large titters at this loooool (still howl with … and dont we have very large titters at this loooool (still howl with laughter at that!!)[IMG]http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy171/bossybootsmgt/louie-spence.jpg?t=1276032685[/IMG]

:lol: pmsl !!!

He would do as hes told like all men should.

( giggles and hold out the bait )

no i wouldnt take hers and i would expect her to take mine :lol: like sassie said, its a man thing lol

my name was utter pants and to be honest was the deciding factor in even bothering getting married - my hubby wants to change his name to david hasslehoff so i think he'd have no problem changing his name to anything at all (but he's a bit of a moron) so i think you should change name if you want to , keep own name if want to or get a completely different name iof want to - to be honest. If i hadn;t hated my surname i'd've kept my own and wouldn't want him to change surname either (and now he's looking into being called optimus prime so who know - if that's the case i will not be referring to myself as mrs prime !

Mellow Yellow;8792727

I'll be whoever she wants me to be in the bedroom.but outside just "sir" … I'll be whoever she wants me to be in the bedroom.but outside just "sir" will do.

eeew just got a cringy vision of sir alan sugar in his socks with those suspender things then for some reason :w00t:

http://www.skin-horse.com/images/malepinup.jpg

babybutton;8792735

my name was utter pants and to be honest was the deciding factor in even … my name was utter pants and to be honest was the deciding factor in even bothering getting married - my hubby wants to change his name to david hasslehoff so i think he'd have no problem changing his name to anything at all (but he's a bit of a moron) so i think you should change name if you want to , keep own name if want to or get a completely different name iof want to - to be honest. If i hadn;t hated my surname i'd've kept my own and wouldn't want him to change surname either (and now he's looking into being called optimus prime so who know - if that's the case i will not be referring to myself as mrs prime !

FUNNIEST POST OF THE DAY - EVEN THE WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(excluding anything by Numptyj!)

Original Poster

michelleleemoo;8792667

I'M FEEEEEMALE :w00t: wouldnt have mattered if we had of done that worb … I'M FEEEEEMALE :w00t: wouldnt have mattered if we had of done that worb that begins with m as we already had the same surname :-D

Oh I do apologise, m'lady! I did the whole Doctor Quin medicine woman thing and read MICHEL Le Lee, Oooops!

babybutton;8792735

my name was utter pants and to be honest was the deciding factor in even … my name was utter pants and to be honest was the deciding factor in even bothering getting married - my hubby wants to change his name to david hasslehoff so i think he'd have no problem changing his name to anything at all (but he's a bit of a moron) so i think you should change name if you want to , keep own name if want to or get a completely different name iof want to - to be honest. If i hadn;t hated my surname i'd've kept my own and wouldn't want him to change surname either (and now he's looking into being called optimus prime so who know - if that's the case i will not be referring to myself as mrs prime !

yeah to be honest if my name was Utter Pants i'd change it as well.

richp;8792792

if it'd been utter pants i may have just kept it - and if it was utter pants my husband would have totally changed his name to mine!

richp;8792792

:lol: why didnt I pick up on that hahaha!!!

When I was a primary school our music teacher was called Mrs Winterbottom and we all called her Mrs SummerArse :w00t:

ei8hty5ive;8792787

Oh I do apologise, m'lady! I did the whole Doctor Quin medicine woman … Oh I do apologise, m'lady! I did the whole Doctor Quin medicine woman thing and read MICHEL Le Lee, Oooops!

ooh you thought i was french, no? :-D

richp;8792792

stop it i'm wet
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …147347
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764524
      3. 'Hard' Brexit offers '£135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News1742
      4. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!523414

See more discussions