Bloodborne (PS4) Review Round Up (Looks like PS4 now has its killer exclusive)

Found 24th Mar 2015
Scored Reviews

Attack of the Fanboy: 4.5/5

It’s safe to assume that not everybody is going to enjoy Bloodborne. It’s such a harsh and unforgiving game that newcomers might be turned off by some of the vagueness in the story and the soul crushing losses that will inevitably occur over its course. Those that are up for the challenge of Bloodborne are going to find a game that plays better, looks better, and has more to keep you occupied than any of the Souls games had.

CGM: 9.5/10

All in all, the game is exactly what Souls fans have been hoping for in this new generation of consoles. It’s gorgeous, terrifying, relentless and highly addictive. There’s so much depth to this game that it’s impossible to go over everything, and there will be many surprises in store over the next few months as swarms of Hunters descend on Yarnham and explore its twisted alleyways and endless secrets.

Destructoid: 9/10

A hallmark of excellence. There may be flaws, but they are negligible and won't cause massive damage to what is a supreme title. Check out more reviews or the Destructoid score guide.

Digital Spy: 5/5

I want to keep playing, I want to discover its secrets, I want to fight every monster, try every weapon, discuss theories and explore as many of the community dungeons as possible. To put it bluntly, I want to bleed the game dry.

EGM Now: 9.5/10

Though built on the same core as the Souls games, Bloodborne marks the largest departure from the status quo to date. The numerous changes, many in service of a faster and more aggressive playstyle, might not be for everyone, but if you embrace that shift, you might well have a new favorite in the From Software canon.

The Escapist: 4.5/5

While the load times are a pretty big bummer, it doesn't change the fact that Bloodborne's combat is sublime, its challenge is second to none, and its world is unforgettable.

Game Informer 9.75/10

Bloodborne is a blood-drenched horror gem that has only the faintest of cracks in its façade. Bloodborne succeeds through sparse storytelling, lush atmospheres (conjuring up notions of the best of Lovecraft’s work), and tight combat that forces you to be aggressive. While this new IP doesn’t stray far from the established Souls franchise, it is a magical, wondrous work that admirably instills both terror and triumph in those brave enough to delve into it.

Game Revolution: 4/5

Though not as refined and freeform as some of its predecessors, it continues in the longstanding Souls tradition of lending credence to challenging games and making the seemingly Sisphyean task of conquering ruthless, malformed monstrosities possible and downright commendable. Bloodborne may feel like a shapeshifted offshoot of the Souls series, but it remains a beast which carries that elite badge of honor for those who can slay it.

Gamespot: 9/10

As with the Souls games, Bloodborne doesn't typically tell you where to go and what to do when you get there. You are given a few vague, overarching goals, but the intricately interconnected regions and pathways, along with nebulous visual cues, lead you to your destination. If you get stuck, it means you are applying video game logic to a game in which that logic doesn't apply.

GamesRadar: 4.5/5

Bloodborne lies somewhere between Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2, better than the latter but not quite as good as the former. The fourth time following the same template means the master strokes, however masterful they are, are anticipated. But take nothing away from this brilliant, brooding, brutal reinvention, because almost as great as the best game ever is pretty bloody great.

Gaming Age: Grade A

As expected, Bloodborne is a very difficult game, but it doesn't punish you because it was made to punish, it simply requires your full attention to make any progress. Players of past Souls games know what to expect with the level of difficulty, while new players may seem overwhelmed after the first few deaths. Keep in mind that there are no impossible areas in Bloodborne, everything can be conquered, you just have to think and focus on what you are doing.

Gaming Nexus: 9/10

Although I have played all of the Souls games, even reviewing the PC version of Dark Souls, they have never hooked me in the manner that Bloodborne has. It feels more accessible and better paced than all of the rest, which is how it sucks you into its world. The experience is engrossing, in an extremely sadistic sort of way. It isn’t nice to you—it is actually downright cruel at times—but you will find yourself coming back to it again and again, unable to turn your back, even though you know your next death is only moments away.

Gaming Trend: 95/100

Filled with depth, rewarding in combat, bleeding atmosphere like the lycan blood that coats the bricks of Yharnam’s old roads, there are few experiences that can compare to Bloodborne. Those who seek a truly comprehensive gaming experience need only play Miyazaki’s masterpiece and let themselves become enthralled in the hunt.

Hardcore Gamer: 4.5/5

Make no mistake: Bloodborne will put hair on your chest. There will be disagreement on whether or not it’s harder than the Souls series, but it’s clear From Software did not dumb down the formula. It will be interesting to see how the general public reacts to such a punishing experience, but those who brave it will be rewarded with a true sense of accomplishment rarely felt in the medium.

The Jimquisition: 10/10

Bloodborne is as glorious as it is grotesque, a harsh and unyielding exercise in getting battered mercilessly while feeling encouraged the whole painful way. While very much a Souls game through and through, the switch from methodical and slow progression to a faster, ultimately more savage environment provides just enough of a twist to give it a wholly unique feel, a more empowering journey, for both the player and the opposition.

NZ Gamer: 8.9/10

Bloodborne lends heavily from its forebears, but transforms the combat into a fast-paced dance of death. It rewards aggression rather than hanging back and waiting for opportunities to present themselves. While some technical, design, and pacing issues mar parts of the experience, Bloodborne is the freshest playing entry in a genre that has very narrow gameplay constraints.

PlayStation LifeStyle: 9/10

The PlayStation 4 finally has its exclusive killer RPG. Bloodborne is punishingly hard, but like the Souls series, not unfairly so. If you go into this game accepting of death and the lessons that it imparts on you, then you will have a much better time than if you were to approach the game thinking you were the next Kratos.

PlayStation Universe: 9.5/10

So masterful is the design that you'll be second-guessing yourself as to whether or not a potential excursion to some available stretch of terrain will be worth it in fear of not being able to safeguard from a potential - and indeed inevitable - death with that of a lantern. It's that sort of organic tension, the fear of what you can't actually see or anticipate, that makes Bloodborne peerless in many respects.

The Telegraph: 5/5

Bloodborne is one of those experiences that totally consumes you when you're involved in it and working to see all that it has to offer. In that sense it's the digital edition of a round-the-world trip to foreign continents, each turning of a corner providing equal helpings of excitement and trepidation. That recipe brings it own rewards by simply being a part of it, the seemingly effortless delivery indicative of a design team and philosophy that is only getting sharper.

Reviews in Progress

Eurogamer: Review in Progress

It has been three-and-a-half years since the release of Dark Souls. And in that time Hidetaka Miyazaki and From Software's A-team have been developing Bloodborne. In the age of teasers for teasers, countless countdowns, and previews and leaks galore, the best thing about Bloodborne is that you don't really know anything about it. Be wary of reading too much before that disc is safely in the PS4's tray.

IGN: Review in Progress

As the crumpled corpse of one of Bloodborne’s hulking boss monstrosities disintegrated at my feet, that peculiar mixture of relief, bliss, and nagging jabs of dread returned. It’s a particular feeling that’s all but absent in the space between From Software games, and a testament to the potency of the studio’s action role-playing formula.

Kotaku: Review in Progress

The Blood-Starved Beast has poisoned me. I've run out of antidote and health potions, but I'm not willing to die. I'm close… I'm so close… As my health fades, I swing my blade and hold my breath. "Prey Slaughtered" flashes across the screen, and my hero keels over dead, I leap off my couch with a victorious scream.

Polygon: Review in Progress

From Software's Souls series is one of the most punishing game franchises around, but each one has contained a small handful of methods for mitigating its horrifying difficulty. If such a crutch exists in Bloodborne, we have not found it. There's no reliable, powerful ranged attacks or magic to speak of, and no shields — effective shields, rather — to hide behind. It's just you, a trick weapon, a puny firearm and your opponent, which is usually nine opponents. Basically, you haven't even started playing yet, and you're already dead.

USgamer: Review in Progress

Bloodborne stands as the latest in their line of Demon's Souls' progeny, but if you're expecting more of the same—honestly, not a terrible prospect for a FromSoftware RPG—prepare to be surprised. While Bloodborne certainly plants its roots firmly within the Souls series, the many alterations director Hidetaka Miyazaki fashioned along the way—some of them drastic—make for a game that rewards the contrary mix of risk-taking and careful observation even more than his previous works.

Venture Beat: Review in Progress

The era of souls is over. The era of blood begins.
Don’t think that a second name change has slowed or softened From Software. What began in Demon’s Souls and passed into Dark Souls now continues in the PlayStation 4 exclusive Bloodborne.

Videogamer: Review in Progress

Bloodborne's world is somewhere you never want to be but also cannot stand being away from. Time not spent in its locales is instead spent thinking about them. It takes the best from both Demon's and Dark Souls, updating the combat to ensure it's at its fastest and fluid best, as well as creating the most wonderfully varied and disturbing environments. This isn’t just the best Souls game, it’s the best game on PS4.
Community Updates
MiscBloodborne
43 Comments
There was little doubt that it would be a masterpiece especially as they crafted the two best games of last gen.

Umbasa
Typical. I wanted to wait before getting this. Even though the Dark Souls games are my favourites, I've been so disappointed with titles this gen that I wasn't going to risk another at launch. Fully intended to focus on the Borderlands collection with my friends... That's that plan out the window.
Glad I preordered it yesterday.
Very tempted to buy a ps4 just to play this game
This is the game that I am buying a PS4 for on Saturday after a loooooong wait.
I'd love to buy this game. I played the beta and it is amazing! At my first attempt I couldn't get past the 6th or 7th enemy but as I kept going I got better. Eventually made it to the boss and could not beat him at all. Was so frustrated so stopped playing for a while but the beta ended. lol. I never got round to playing the Souls games so don't have the experience to play this one. Have Demons Souls from PS+ and trying to get round to playing it to start off but it's hard to look at it when this one is here.

Edit - Just noticed Scott Rohde posted this on Twitter. Metacritic score is 93 so far
Edited by: "CoolDude0123" 24th Mar 2015
CoolDude0123

I'd love to buy this game. I played the beta and it is amazing! At my … I'd love to buy this game. I played the beta and it is amazing! At my first attempt I couldn't get past the 6th or 7th enemy but as I kept going I got better. Eventually made it to the boss and could not beat him at all. Was so frustrated so stopped playing for a while but the beta ended. lol. I never got round to playing the Souls games so don't have the experience to play this one. Have Demons Souls from PS+ and trying to get round to playing it to start off but it's hard to look at it when this one is here.Edit - Just noticed Scott Rohde posted this on Twitter. Metacritic score is 93 so far

Demons Souls is an amazing game. Definitely give it a go as it sets up the series, it also feels a lot grittier and harder than Dark Souls 1 & 2, which are both excellent games. The Tendency system in Demons Souls also gives the game that extra bit of dynamic gameplay but doesn't exist in Dark Souls 1 & 2, the game holds it own against these 2 because of that.
For some reason I was worried this was going to flop.

What a fool I was. (_;)
ahmed123

For some reason I was worried this was going to flop.What a fool I was. … For some reason I was worried this was going to flop.What a fool I was. (_;)

Not such a silly thought considering the number of flops and unfinished games being released recently. Finally someone has done it right, and about time too!

Wasn't going to get this until it was cheap but high scoring games tend to hold their value so I think I'll take the plunge.

Where's cheapest to get this from, anyone? Looking for a physical copy and not digital.
If you listen closely you can hear all the Xbox One fanboys crying.
Smash41

"PS4 has no games"
And there's me with a PS4 from last week. Ohhh, will have to get this at some point, looks freakishly shiny
CoolDude0123

I'd love to buy this game. I played the beta and it is amazing! At my … I'd love to buy this game. I played the beta and it is amazing! At my first attempt I couldn't get past the 6th or 7th enemy but as I kept going I got better. Eventually made it to the boss and could not beat him at all. Was so frustrated so stopped playing for a while but the beta ended. lol. I never got round to playing the Souls games so don't have the experience to play this one. Have Demons Souls from PS+ and trying to get round to playing it to start off but it's hard to look at it when this one is here.Edit - Just noticed Scott Rohde posted this on Twitter. Metacritic score is 93 so far

As with all Souls games so far the first few hours are some of the hardest.
Check out my help page... hotukdeals.com/mis…066
Plus I'm quite happy to lend you a hand in co-op if you need.
KillFelix

Not such a silly thought considering the number of flops and unfinished … Not such a silly thought considering the number of flops and unfinished games being released recently. Finally someone has done it right, and about time too!Wasn't going to get this until it was cheap but high scoring games tend to hold their value so I think I'll take the plunge.Where's cheapest to get this from, anyone? Looking for a physical copy and not digital.

I had a discount code from very which have me £50 off making the game was £54 making it £7.95 delivered.

New accounts only I'll PM you the code see if it works cause I've used it twice with no problems. I bought the code from Groupon.

Edit: Very dropped the price to £49 so you'll need at something to make it £50 or over.
It didn't work.

Cheapest £44.97 from Gamestop
Edited by: "ahmed123" 24th Mar 2015
KillFelix

"PS4 has no games"

By the time you finish it there might be 2.
dontasciime

By the time you finish it there might be 2.

...hundred

en.wikipedia.org/wik…mes
KillFelix

...hundredhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_4_games

Sorry, I thought you meant good ones

You seriously can't be happy at the state of releases for ps4 thus far.

Ps4 and Xb1 pretty stale
Edited by: "dontasciime" 24th Mar 2015
dontasciime

Sorry, I thought you meant good onesYou seriously can't be happy at the … Sorry, I thought you meant good onesYou seriously can't be happy at the state of releases for ps4 thus far.Ps4 and Xb1 pretty stale

Got too many games to play as it is TBH. Still got Driveclub, FC4, AC:U, most Lego games, LPB3, ME:SoM, The Evil Within etc to buy yet. Since launch I've not been short of stuff to play, and now we've got Bloodborne which looks epic! Granted I don't play as often as most as life has been time consuming recently, manage to get about 10 hours a week in I guess.
That series is too hard for my mental capacity now. I thrived on that type of game years ago and could repeat, repeat, repeat until success but now I don't trust my responses of overriding the impulse to throw the controller through the TV.
Steve Mac

Demons Souls is an amazing game. Definitely give it a go as it sets up … Demons Souls is an amazing game. Definitely give it a go as it sets up the series, it also feels a lot grittier and harder than Dark Souls 1 & 2, which are both excellent games. The Tendency system in Demons Souls also gives the game that extra bit of dynamic gameplay but doesn't exist in Dark Souls 1 & 2, the game holds it own against these 2 because of that.

Andy@XCite

As with all Souls games so far the first few hours are some of the … As with all Souls games so far the first few hours are some of the hardest.Check out my help page... http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/demon-s-souls-general-discussion-will-709066#commentsPlus I'm quite happy to lend you a hand in co-op if you need.

Thanks for the reply guys. Will try to make some time to play it properly again. Hopefully the toughness of it should help give me the experience to tackle this game. Will be difficult to get into it now as all the heat is on Bloodborne and I always need the newest games. lol.

Thanks for the link Andy. Will have a look through it. I'd appreciate the help if I do mange to get round to Bloodborne. The co-op with the bosses makes it even more tempting to buy. Feels safer that I will actually get the game beaten. lol
CoolDude0123

Thanks for the reply guys. Will try to make some time to play it properly … Thanks for the reply guys. Will try to make some time to play it properly again. Hopefully the toughness of it should help give me the experience to tackle this game. Will be difficult to get into it now as all the heat is on Bloodborne and I always need the newest games. lol. Thanks for the link Andy. Will have a look through it. I'd appreciate the help if I do mange to get round to Bloodborne. The co-op with the bosses makes it even more tempting to buy. Feels safer that I will actually get the game beaten. lol

I actually meant Demon's souls co-op.
Andy@XCite

I actually meant Demon's souls co-op.

Ahhh that's cool. I had no idea Demon's Souls even had co-op! Even better! lol. Will be a bit busy with Battlefield Hardline right now as it only just arrived a few moments ago but won't be playing it for long. Can still add me and get round to playing some Demon's Souls. Will pm you my username
BLOOOOOOOOOODBOOOOOOORRRRRNNNNNEEEE!!
Really glad for the PS4, looks amazing. It is good to see after the shocking Order 1886!
Smash41

And people wonder why gaming is thought to be immature...
I have never touched a souls game, any particular tips for newcomers? Has anyone found a decent price for this?
Smash41

This Xbox owner is certainly having a gentle sob. Still happy with my console, just hate exclusivity
Never played a souls type game and even though this has been received well by the critics I'll be skipping this too. I'm not one for ridiculously hard challenges that test the limits of ones patience. It'll just have me overly frustrated and eventually getting rid of the game. Still it seems like a great a game.
Just been watching it on Twitch, it looks amazing, definitely need to buy it after the disappointment of The Order.
P.S. I can tell you're a redditor JayStan /r/PS4 represent! haha
PraxxtorCruel

Never played a souls type game and even though this has been received … Never played a souls type game and even though this has been received well by the critics I'll be skipping this too. I'm not one for ridiculously hard challenges that test the limits of ones patience. It'll just have me overly frustrated and eventually getting rid of the game. Still it seems like a great a game.

That's pretty much how I feel. I've spent countless hours jumping to my death in Uncharted due to having to make pixel perfect jumps and don't get me started on Darksiders...

Glad the PS4 finally has something to warrant it's existence though, 2015 will be a barren year this aside...
PraxxtorCruel

Never played a souls type game and even though this has been received … Never played a souls type game and even though this has been received well by the critics I'll be skipping this too. I'm not one for ridiculously hard challenges that test the limits of ones patience. It'll just have me overly frustrated and eventually getting rid of the game. Still it seems like a great a game.

You should give one of them a try (I recommend Dark Souls 1), the difficulty is overstated (by a great deal).
Im a playstation fanboy,

but literally have no interest in this game what so ever!??
DragonChris

This Xbox owner is certainly having a gentle sob. Still happy with my … This Xbox owner is certainly having a gentle sob. Still happy with my console, just hate exclusivity

I know what you mean! Im a xbox owner, and im sobbing, but i own a ps4?

Figure that one out!
Let's not turn this into ANOTHER stupid fanboy thread.

This thread's about Bloodborne, not Xbox or which consoles better and has more games.

Edited by: "Bure11" 24th Mar 2015
BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODBOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRNNNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEE!!!!
ahmed123

BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODBOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRNNNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEE!!!!

3..2..1..You're back in the room.
Bure11

Let's not turn this into ANOTHER stupid fanboy thread.This thread's about … Let's not turn this into ANOTHER stupid fanboy thread.This thread's about Bloodborne, not Xbox or which consoles better and has more games.

ok
youtube.com/wat…M5E
Edited by: "fps_d0minat0r" 24th Mar 2015
fps_d0minat0r

okhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB7ehZ6nM5E

Poor Wii U X)
fps_d0minat0r

okhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB7ehZ6nM5E

The thing is though who in their right mind would not have wanted an even better version ?
dontasciime

Sorry, I thought you meant good onesYou seriously can't be happy at the … Sorry, I thought you meant good onesYou seriously can't be happy at the state of releases for ps4 thus far.Ps4 and Xb1 pretty stale

I mean, I'm more than happy with Killzone SF, Infamous Second Son (and First Son stand alone DLC), Resogun and now Bloodborne, I would have loved more but I've spent many hours on them four games alone to make my PS4 purchase worth it, I would include TLOU but that was a remaster, although I didn't buy the PS3 version so it felt like a new game to me.

On the XB1, even though I don't own one, I think Forza looks best so far, I really hope Forza hits Windows 10 so I can finally give it a go, but this years E3 will be a big decider on things to come, I think both consoles are lacking in exclusives personally and I'm surprised there hasn't been a Gears of War announced for XB1 yet! (unless I'm wrong)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants