Bloodborne review from a casual gamer perspective

Found 27th Mar 2015
Good review, critique of the reviewers below.

Echo Chamber: 'Bloodborne's' Critical Praise Is Gaming Journalism's Failure

forbes.com/sit…re/
Community Updates
11 Comments
It is interesting because for months I've been hearing "I didn't like Dark souls but I'm really interested to get Bloodborne".
IMO if you didn't like any of the Souls games then it is highly unlikely that you will like Bloodborne.

However the games highly published difficulty is far too overstated and I do believe most if not all gamers could complete them but unlike most games the Souls games are (again imo) at their most difficult at the very beginning and the difficulty curve goes down from there (as opposed to most games).
Andy@XCite

It is interesting because for months I've been hearing "I didn't like … It is interesting because for months I've been hearing "I didn't like Dark souls but I'm really interested to get Bloodborne".IMO if you didn't like any of the Souls games then it is highly unlikely that you will like Bloodborne.However the games highly published difficulty is far too overstated and I do believe most if not all gamers could complete them but unlike most games the Souls games are (again imo) at their most difficult at the very beginning and the difficulty curve goes down from there (as opposed to most games).

One of the problems with the difficulty being overstated is that games nowadays are too easy and have too much hand holding, and most gamers would probably just give up and not carry on if it's a bit difficult.

One problem I would agree with though is that the long loading times and long length of time between checkpoints would be off putting. That is just based on what I've read and not playing it though.
Bure11

One of the problems with the difficulty being overstated is that games … One of the problems with the difficulty being overstated is that games nowadays are too easy and have too much hand holding, and most gamers would probably just give up and not carry on if it's a bit difficult. One problem I would agree with though is that the long loading times and long length of time between checkpoints would be off putting. That is just based on what I've read and not playing it though.

Yes the loading times are too long but that should hopefully be addressed, so if that bothers anyone then hold off purchase until it is fixed ... plus it will be cheaper then.

Checkpoints are more a case of opening shortcuts (like in Demon's Souls & to a lesser extent Dark Souls), if you aren't observant then you may miss one although that is unlikely.
If you take Dark Souls, for example, the distance between bonfires (or checkpoints) is no more than most games, dare I say checkpoints in COD.
Plus if I die between checkpoints in COD then all the enemies respawn so essentially a Souls game is COD with swords. oO
(I'm joking obviously).
Andy@XCite

Yes the loading times are too long but that should hopefully be … Yes the loading times are too long but that should hopefully be addressed, so if that bothers anyone then hold off purchase until it is fixed ... plus it will be cheaper then.Checkpoints are more a case of opening shortcuts (like in Demon's Souls & to a lesser extent Dark Souls), if you aren't observant then you may miss one although that is unlikely.If you take Dark Souls, for example, the distance between bonfires (or checkpoints) is no more than most games, dare I say checkpoints in COD. Plus if I die between checkpoints in COD then all the enemies respawn so essentially a Souls game is COD with swords. oO(I'm joking obviously).

I take it your a fan of these games? I've honestly never played one properly but I was thinking of trying out Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne. Roughly how long is each game? Assuming I don't die about 10000 times and spent 20 hours on the first boss

Also does it really matter which one I start with? Is one easier or more preferable to start with than the other?
Bure11

I take it your a fan of these games? I've honestly never played one … I take it your a fan of these games? I've honestly never played one properly but I was thinking of trying out Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne. Roughly how long is each game? Assuming I don't die about 10000 times and spent 20 hours on the first boss :pAlso does it really matter which one I start with? Is one easier or more preferable to start with than the other?

Demon's souls is about 30 hours, Dark souls is more like 45 ... at a guess.
You can play for as little as you want during any session as the game saves constantly and all the enemies that were dead remain dead when you restart.

I recommend Dark Souls 1 as you will see the genius that is Miyazaki & what was lacking in Dark Souls 2 (a very good game but not at the same level).
I would suggest avoiding Bloodborne atm, the reason I say that is that it requires a particular style of play (agressive) & has less variety in terms of play styles, for example in a Souls game you can take the role of a pyromancer or magician and just zap everything, or play a warrior. Bloodborne appears to have narrowed that down to a more melee approach.

You don't often get stuck on a boss, co-op is available (with NPC's or other humans) and Dark Souls 1 & Demon's souls are still fairly active (demon's less so).
I rarely got killed by the same boss more than a couple of times and at most probably half a dozen...and I'm rubbish at games.
Edited by: "Andy@XCite" 27th Mar 2015
I got demon souls, couldn't get past the **** on the battlements so gave up, awfully slow game anyway
Error440

I got demon souls, couldn't get past the **** on the battlements so gave … I got demon souls, couldn't get past the **** on the battlements so gave up, awfully slow game anyway

Real gamers dont give up that easily ;-)
stuarthanley

Real gamers dont give up that easily ;-)

You mean poor gamers who don't have a backlog over 100 titles, I got better things to do then get killed a billion times over, that kind of game belongs on PC which is why I expect the second hand sections to be heaving under this one if its anything like pervious games, after all the game stavered ps4 owners will all be out buying it.
Stavered? I don't even know what that is or if its a word. Starved.
Error440

Stavered? I don't even know what that is or if its a word. Starved.

Or pervious
Love the game so far, but surprised there aren't more complaints about the frame rate. Awful, one area in particular drops so low it almost stops. Blaming it for my migraine.

I won't tell anyone else how to play games or try to convince them to keep playing, but the thing with these games is survival. For me, it's all about the sense of accomplishment, surviving the world that felt so unforgiving at the start. feels good helping randoms beat bosses too.

Edited by: "bo0td" 29th Mar 2015
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants