Blown HDMI input on LG TV

Found 15th Jul 2012
Ok, i had the laptop connected to the TV and after a while the battery was going to die so i went to plug the power into the laptop and bang!!! a huge spark came from the laptop and the hdmi connection was gone.

Now, the laptop seems ok, TV is working but the hdmi input does not seem to work on the TV. It has two and the 2nd one is still working. At first i thought it was just the cable but after some messing about i found it must be the input in the TV.

Does anyone know if this can be fixed or will this input be gone forever.

Any help would be great.

13 Comments

Seems like the HDMI connector has broke away from your TV's PCB board.Looks like you may lose that 1 hdmi source

They cant blow, like above a pin must of de-soldered itself. Easy fix if your handy with a soldering iron and really need that hdmi socket.

If its in warranty, phone lg up or tge company you got the telly from

lol

Where was the tv purchased?

OP, I f you repeat the whole process but this time using the 2nd hdmi port on your telly it will help me to re evaluate my answer.

Original Poster

transit

OP, I f you repeat the whole process but this time using the 2nd hdmi … OP, I f you repeat the whole process but this time using the 2nd hdmi port on your telly it will help me to re evaluate my answer.

No thanks

Original Poster

Tv is 5 years old so not in warranty anymore.

Has anyone used a hdmi splitter before? this looks like the only option.

J4GG4

They cant blow, like above a pin must of de-soldered itself. Easy fix if … They cant blow, like above a pin must of de-soldered itself. Easy fix if your handy with a soldering iron and really need that hdmi socket.

What a load of s...

So there are no controllers or chips that relate to how the hdmi converts so sound/image? Anyone of them can go if somehow shorted out.

Has anyone had the hdmi socket push back into the tv? Do you know how much it would cost to repair?
HJ

hjs60

Has anyone had the hdmi socket push back into the tv? Do you know how … Has anyone had the hdmi socket push back into the tv? Do you know how much it would cost to repair? HJ

Depends on the TV, its probably a plastic clip/bracket thats broken, this could either be one on the TV casing or on the HDMI board, depending on the model a board can be picked up for £10-20 and a simple diy job usually a few screws to remove the case and a ribbon or plug type connector, if its the case side then for a proper fix it would need a new rear casing. For me I would be testing if the socket still works and then figuring a way to fix the clip/bracket DIY style probably using some sort of strong adhesive (not superglue as the fumes from it can cause damage to electronics) and something like mobile top up cards (these are always handy for me to keep in my tools and to use as various things like filler spreaders and pry tools on electronics casings, best of all they are free) you can heat them with an hair dryer and bend/shape them and when cooled will retain the shape you create (run under cool water to speed up this part).

My hdmi input disconnected from the board and touched something nearby on the board it was soldered to and the tv shut off and will not turn on again, its a 60 inch LG and id hate to have to buy a new one

djtezz

Tv is 5 years old so not in warranty anymore. Has anyone used a hdmi … Tv is 5 years old so not in warranty anymore. Has anyone used a hdmi splitter before? this looks like the only option.

Yep, should do the job fine but I'd recommend ensuring you get one with good reviews as some of them I've bought are a bit unreliable which can be irritating.

John
Post a comment
@
    Text