Blowtorch for killing weeds??

Found 16th Aug 2011
With all the rain we have been having the weeds are growing soooo quickly. Digging them out from between lots of paving slabs is not an option at the moment due to back problems. I am not a fan of weedkiller either. it was suggested that a blowtorch with a small gas cannister would do the trick. Anyone got any experience of using one of these on weeds? Many thanks
Community Updates
15 Comments
it still wouldnt remove/kill the roots, it would only burn off the leaves and top part, so it wouldnt actually solve the problem, they will just grow back.
Edited by: "kickthread" 16th Aug 2011
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Parasene-Weed-Wand-Ignition-550/dp/B000TAT8YU
this is what you want its meant to be good
Hate to disagree with kickthread, but these work well, usually available cheaply at lidl, with the long gas pipe to prevent you bending down, as with any method that removes weeds they will return due to natural seeding. Price is usually £13 - 15 with refill from such as B&Q for £3-4
pouring salt on them will do the same job as weedkiller
DAMNOME

Seriously?? My garden is all block paved, i'm sick of buying weed killer.
DAMNOME

Better to spray them with vinegar with maybe a bit of liquid soap in the mix

Personally i'd just get some Glyphosate.
Get the gippos in for a Tarmac jobby on your drive. Job done.
numptyj

Get the gippos in for a Tarmac jobby on your drive. Job done.

weeds can come through tarmac
caustic sodas works well - just used it to cheaply but v effectivly inbock my drains and it's killed of everything around it - grass and weeds including -

Bought it for a pound for 500 g

boiling water will kill of the weeds as will vinegar but if you want to keep them away salt the ground...

SaltMany of the homemade weed killer recipes include salt. Most suggest … SaltMany of the homemade weed killer recipes include salt. Most suggest regular table salt, some say water-softener salt, others mention rock salt. Salt is salt. Salt kills plants. It may be added to some recipes to kill the plants when vinegar alone won’t.Salt also acts as a desiccant, drawing moisture out of the plant. Most recipes are intended for use as a foliar spray. A few will instruct you to drench the soil around the weeds, expecting to kill the root more successfully. Salt is problematic. It will get rid of your weeds, but also anything else nearby. It will hang around, leaving you with long term difficulty when you want to grow desirable plants. You may have heard the term “burned a plant with fertilizer”. That is because regular fertilizer is a salt. Apply it too heavily and plants die. Salt can remain in the soil, even affecting roots from distant plants.If your desire in wanting to use home made weed killer is because you want natural products, instead of chemicals, don’t use salt as a weed killer. It defeats the effort of trying to develop healthy soil.The one exception might be if you are spot treating weeds that pop up in cracks in your driveway, patio or sidewalks. Just use it sparingly, as it can leach into the area where good plants live.

Edited by: "DAMNOME" 16th Aug 2011
Diesel works well, nothing will grow where you put it. Don't think your allowed to do it any more though - not surprised too bl**dy expensive.
blowtorch is a good short time measure but as previous posters have said wont kill the roots so they will groy back, a systematic weedkiller is needed and as other posters have said caustic soda works well,dunno about the salt etc never tried them but the blowtorch would just really be a waste of money
I use salt, but you do have to be very careful that no roots are under where you use it, or that it won't run off in a rainstorm to somewhere else. Bought a load for pennies in the closing down sale at Focus.
I use a sharp hoe - sideways on - for cracks between paving slabs.
chalkysoil

I use salt, but you do have to be very careful that no roots are under … I use salt, but you do have to be very careful that no roots are under where you use it, or that it won't run off in a rainstorm to somewhere else. Bought a load for pennies in the closing down sale at Focus.I use a sharp hoe - sideways on - for cracks between paving slabs.

Should use a crack hoe...
DAMNOME

I put it on my chips, it works very well.(_;)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions