Groups

Blu Ray and SACD together?

At the moment I've got a Pioneer DV-600AV DVD player, which also plays SACD and DVD-A. However, I'd like to get a Blu Ray player and a PVR Freesat box (whenever they are released). But, the problem is, I've only got 12cm between the top of my Pioneer and the underneath of my TV unit.

So what I'd like to know is, do any Blu Ray players play SACD and/ or DVD-A? If yes, then I can get rid of my Pioneer and get both a Blu Ray player and a PVR Freesat box. If not, then I'll forever be frustrated!

p.s.-I used to own a PS3 60GB which played SACD, but it broke and the new ones don't play SACD and I'd rather not buy a 2nd hand PS3 60GB.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

14 Comments

blu-ray player I know that plays DVD-A is the panasonic BD10 : trustedreviews.com/hom…/p1 newer models don't support it

the LG BH200 also supports DVD-A but harder to get hold of, there are a few on feebay

Sony have done a very poor job of supporting SACD in blu-ray players, none have it afaik

Original Poster

[SIZE="2"]Thanks for the input AugQX:thumbsup:

It looks like I've got some tough choices to make; probably a choice between having Blu Ray or my Pioneer. I've only got one DVD-A, so foregoing that format would be only a slight inconvenience. However, I've got a few SACDs, including Jeff Wayne's 'War of the Worlds' and Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side of the Moon' and not being able to listen to them is another matter altogether.

I suppose I need to decide what do I want my 5.1 set up to do, music or film???[/SIZE]

would a media centre pc not be up to the job?

Original Poster

[SIZE="2"]mmm, that's an interesting idea guerilla, I never knew media PCs had Blu Ray and SACD compatibility. Any models in mind?[/SIZE]

Original Poster

[SIZE="2"]I've been looking at the measurements of existing Blu Ray players and Freesat units and there are some that are under 6cm in height. This means that I can probably get both, thereby keeping my Pioneer for SACD and DVD-A playback (not to mention video playback via it's USB port).

Thanks for the comments. :thumbsup:[/SIZE]

Might be worth considering guerillas idea, down to one box under tv if you go active speakers see my baby
    members.lycos.co.uk/mad…JPG
    Thats an amp setup on right, can't throw it away and go active as it cost me sooo much money when i bought it

am going to put one of the lg hddvd/bluray players in there, they seem to handle anything playback wise

windhoek;2877618

[SIZE="2"]mmm, that's an interesting idea guerilla, I never knew media … [SIZE="2"]mmm, that's an interesting idea guerilla, I never knew media PCs had Blu Ray and SACD compatibility. Any models in mind?[/SIZE]

i was thinking you would have to build one.

Original Poster

maddogb;2877853

Might be worth considering guerillas idea, down to one box under tv if … Might be worth considering guerillas idea, down to one box under tv if you go active speakers see my babyhttp://www.members.lycos.co.uk/maddogbarber//DSCF0077.JPGThats an amp setup on right, can't throw it away and go active as it cost me sooo much money when i bought itam going to put one of the lg hddvd/bluray players in there, they seem to handle anything playback wise

[SIZE="2"]Wow! That sure looks like a tasty set-up indeed! No wonder you can't throw that amp away - a Linn amp is bound to be top quality. :w00t:[/SIZE]

Original Poster

[SIZE="2"]I think the idea of putting a media PC together sounds good, but in reality, it's a bit beyond my pc competency. If I can get a Blu Ray player and a PVR Freesat that are less than 12cm in height (combined), I should be alright.

p.s. - I bought some Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6 speakers last week so I'm not exactly desperate to leave the house to get a Blu Ray player: in fact, I've become quite the hermit:-D[/SIZE]

Buy a playstation 1 for SACD playbac. Version SCPH 1002 or 5002 offer great cd playback quality. versions after not so great.

Original Poster

shanecr;2878749

Buy a playstation 1 for SACD playbac. Version SCPH 1002 or 5002 offer … Buy a playstation 1 for SACD playbac. Version SCPH 1002 or 5002 offer great cd playback quality. versions after not so great.

[SIZE="2"]Are you saying that the humble PS1 can play SACD? If so, how does it send out a 5.1 signal?:thinking:[/SIZE]

windhoek;2878835

[SIZE="2"]Are you saying that the humble PS1 can play SACD? If so, how … [SIZE="2"]Are you saying that the humble PS1 can play SACD? If so, how does it send out a 5.1 signal?:thinking:[/SIZE]

I think through optical

Output: Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround sound, DTS (Full motion video only)

source: wiki

windhoek;2878733

[SIZE="2"]I think the idea of putting a media PC together sounds good, … [SIZE="2"]I think the idea of putting a media PC together sounds good, but in reality, it's a bit beyond my pc competency. If I can get a Blu Ray player and a PVR Freesat that are less than 12cm in height (combined), I should be alright. p.s. - I bought some Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6 speakers last week so I'm not exactly desperate to leave the house to get a Blu Ray player: in fact, I've become quite the hermit:-D[/SIZE]

lol when you achieve a quality av setup agrophobia becomes the norm

Original Poster

maddogb;2880294

lol when you achieve a quality av setup agrophobia becomes the norm

lol:-D
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764309
      2. Report online material promoting terrorism or extremism11
      3. What are you loving on the BBC at the moment?63219
      4. What do you feel like whinging about today?1917266

See more discussions