Blu Ray Coming to Xbox 360 (rumour) + Xbox Live Experience Dated for November 19th + Halo 3 Recon Announced

According to a report in the hardware press, Microsoft is set to announce plans for an external Blu-ray drive for Xbox 360.

According to the report, Toshiba-Samsung Storage Technology Corp has picked up a contract to manufacture external Blu-ray disc drives for Xbox 360. A price of $100 - $150 is being suggested, although the story says this number is "rumor".

Microsoft's short-lived flirtation with Blu-ray rival HD-DVD was widely seen as a tactical move against Sony's Blu-ray drive; one that failed to stem Blu-ray's victory over the rival format.

Now Microsoft is seeking to bridge a gap between its machine and PS3, by offering Blu-ray as a relatively inexpensive add-on for Xbox 360. Edge is chasing Microsoft for a comment.

Also Halo 3 expansion pack will be called Halo 3 Recon - in which you play a drop ship soldier - its going to be stealthy with new maps and will be set before halo 3

12 Comments

yeah i heard this ages ago, still glad i bought the ps3 for my blu ray player, use the xbox for games and hd and the ps3 for bluray with the choice of playing some of the games.

Where's the info about "Xbox Live Experience Dated for November 19th + Halo 3 Recon Announced"?

Thought it was info about when the new dashboard is coming, i'm bored of the old one

Original Poster

sancho1983;3154819

Where's the info about "Xbox Live Experience Dated for November 19th + … Where's the info about "Xbox Live Experience Dated for November 19th + Halo 3 Recon Announced"?Thought it was info about when the new dashboard is coming, i'm bored of the old one

Oh sorry
Halo 3 Recon (coming 2009)
edge-online.com/new…con

Blu ray (coming 2009)
computerandvideogames.com/art…963

New Dashboard (coming nov 19th 2008)
computerandvideogames.com/art…975

whay cant they just plonk a blu-ray drive in instead of a noraml dvd drive......external drives increased the footprint of your games machine....microsoft will never learn!!

rob585;3155806

whay cant they just plonk a blu-ray drive in instead of a noraml dvd … whay cant they just plonk a blu-ray drive in instead of a noraml dvd drive......external drives increased the footprint of your games machine....microsoft will never learn!!

im sure i posted this about 4 weeks since. all XBOX 360s are being replaced with Blue-Rays FOC irrc. Sorry, if the info is incorrect, but was given this from my IT lecturer at NCL College :whistling:

I read somewhere that Sony had some sort of contract that keeps the Bluray drive exclusive to the PS3...

How true this is, I have no idea, as I can't imagine that type of contract holding up with different manufacturers developing the laser.

Original Poster

Browni;3156889

I read somewhere that Sony had some sort of contract that keeps the … I read somewhere that Sony had some sort of contract that keeps the Bluray drive exclusive to the PS3...How true this is, I have no idea, as I can't imagine that type of contract holding up with different manufacturers developing the laser.

No - sony games are a separate part of the compay and its not just sony that owns blu ray its other firms like samsung

Facts are microsoft have to move with the times - Blu-ray won the HD war so their hands are tied.

Adds another functionality to the xbox 360 so I'm all in favor of it really

Original Poster

robtallica;3159567

Facts are microsoft have to move with the times - Blu-ray won the HD war … Facts are microsoft have to move with the times - Blu-ray won the HD war so their hands are tied.Adds another functionality to the xbox 360 so I'm all in favor of it really

Yeh blu ray won even though hd dvd was better

The only reason i wanted a ps3 was blu ray - and im sure everyone else bought it the same reason as i want it

If samsung have actually begun plans to make the drive for the 360 in their report it must be legit as they wouldnt lie about that

they should just give the elite the Bly ray drive to actually make it worth getting over the pro

Not really excited about another Halo 3 Recon, as Halo 3 was a complete wash out, worst ending ever.

Well hopefully the Blu-Ray for the Xbox 360 will be a Nth Gen drive which is capable of better than 1 speed...

Original Poster

Looks like microsoft are denying it as they say they are concentrating on the digital downloads of movies

But im sure im not the only person who never has and never will rent a film digitally and would rather buy it or go to a shop and get it so i dont see it being the future unless you actually get to keep the film
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!2642
    2. Thousands of minimum wage workers to receive part of £2,000,000 compensatio…44
    3. Weekly game codes giveaway 183722
    4. How much would you pay for this chair?1214

See more discussions