Groups

Blu Ray exclusives help

After missing out on the Predators steelbook at play (So disappointed) I am looking elsewhere for possible exclusive editions.

Not bought Blu's on release before so have no idea on the shops to go for.
    Can anyone tell me about any good offers or exclusives please ?. Also after Iron Man 2.

Thanks as always peoples

6 Comments

I am sure you could pick them uo on eBay

Original Poster

I'd prefer to get the UK release (not out yet - IM2 25th Oct -Pred's 1st Nov) so if needed I can sell on easier and I only have a R2 PS3 to begin with. I am correct in thinking that PS3 are region free for games but not movies ?.

I had thought about trying to pick up the Play exclusive steelbook of Predators on ebay but imagined it would get a inflated price.

Just wanted to see if anyone had found cheaper prices and/or store exclusive versions from shops I don't know of. I am new to buying blu's as I have only bought second hand from Avforums.

Original Poster

Bump. Would like something special with both these movies if possible.

I don't think you'll find many in-store exclusive Blu-Rays to be honest; it's play.com and hmv.com who have most of the exclusive titles, and the majority of the time (in HMV's case) they sell out before hitting the shelves. Morrisons had 2012 with an exclusive outer sleeve, but nothing in terms of completely different packaging.

Steelbooks are the way to go if you want more collectable editions, but the market is being oversaturated with them at the moment - a year or so ago there was probably one released every couple of months, but now there's two or three a month. Things like Iron Man, I am Legend and Indy (all from Futureshop in Canada) are worth big money, but there's not many others now that can be seen as investments.

Your PS3 will be locked to Region B Blu-Rays (although a number of US/CAN releases are region-free) but that does open you up to releases from throughout the rest of Europe - amazon.de have a load of steelbooks listed (99% of the discs are the same as the UK releases, with English Menus and Audio, just with German writing on the cases) and FNAC (a French company) have a lot of exclusives too.

It all depends on how much you want to spend though. Amazon.de charge approx £7 for shipping, but you can have up to 10 Steelbooks for that price. Their prices for the actual Blu-Rays are in line with UK releases. If you've got any relatives in USA or Canada there are loads of steelbooks/ironpaks (Toy Story 3 and Beauty and The Beast have just been released by FutureShop / Best Buy @ $7.50 each) but obviously you'll need to get them sent over as you can't buy these online. I picked up all of the Disney/Pixar steelbooks last year (13 in total) and they look awesome.

I've just sold most of my steelbooks (I had about 70 in total) but if you need any more help on tracking certain ones down, let me know.

Edited by: "midlandscomics" 11th Oct 2010

Original Poster

ATM due to money flow I am limiting myself to just Iron Man 2 and Predators.
    I have been tempted to get imports but with the needing of a new region free player and removing the chance to sell on to a larger market I am less inclined to try for now due to budget.

Just curious if (just like videos games) people have seen any store exclusives or promotions on for both movies. I have no idea on where to look or trust in the wider Blu Ray market.
    So far I have only seen a Exclusive Predators steel book from Play.com thats sold out but put on eBay for £50 ..disgusting IMO.
    Seem to be a price of £15 for IM2 and £17 for Preds. I am happy with that price but as a huge fan I love extras and would like to get any that are available.

teraomi

ATM due to money flow I am limiting myself to just Iron Man 2 and … ATM due to money flow I am limiting myself to just Iron Man 2 and Predators. I have been tempted to get imports but with the needing of a new region free player and removing the chance to sell on to a larger market I am less inclined to try for now due to budget. Just curious if (just like videos games) people have seen any store exclusives or promotions on for both movies. I have no idea on where to look or trust in the wider Blu Ray market. So far I have only seen a Exclusive Predators steel book from Play.com thats sold out but put on eBay for £50 ..disgusting IMO. Seem to be a price of £15 for IM2 and £17 for Preds. I am happy with that price but as a huge fan I love extras and would like to get any that are available.

As I said above, your PS3 will play ANY European Blu-Ray releases (as they're all Reg B) and quite a lot of US/CAN releases (that are listed as region free here, so there's no real need to buy an additional player. As for store promotions/exclusives, neither are out yet so it's not possible to say exactly what they'll do, but imo (and from past releases) the only real exclusives etc a just online.

Titles from amazon.de are (in most instances) probably better than holding their value than UK releases, as not everyone thinks of looking on there to buy them. If you look on eBay a lot of the German and French steelbooks are going for quite a bit more than they can be purchased for from Amazon / FNAC.

The reason Predators sold out so quickly was that it was a play.com exclusive, and the only previous title they've exclusively had was Star Trek XI Steelbook - this is OOP now and goes for £30 upwards (had a retail price of £17.99).

There are a few Iron Man 2 Steelbooks abroad, but Paramount restricted the number of Countries that could release one:

Media Markt (Germany) and FNAC (France) have exclusive rights to the European release - the FNAC release is a G1 (DVD) sized case.

Target have the American release

Play-Asia sell the Hong Kong release

YesAsia sell the Taiwan release

DiscShop (Sweden) are the only other retailer worldwide (AFAIK) who have a Predators Steelbook. Apart from these links, chances are you're only going to be able to get the regular Amaray release for both titles.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. LG G6 International [email protected] droidauthority22
      2. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…77
      3. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card33
      4. DICKINSONS REAL DEAL £25,000 COMPETITION22

See more discussions