Groups

Blu Ray Writer / 720p File?

I have some 720p MKV files that I'd like to burn to a blu ray disc, as I've read that the files lose quality if they are burnt to DVD..
    So can anyone recommend a blu ray writer and can anyone recommend a good programs ( preferably for mac ) but if not, then windows programs are fine!
    Has anybody got any experiences burning these files?
    Thanks
    Jack

17 Comments

Toast 10 Titanium Pro burns HD video to DVD/Blu Ray.

Seems quite expensive to be burning media to disk. Have you not thought about streaming?

I've given up using optical media to be honest. It's too expensive and a waste of space. Why not do as freeDUMB posted above, or use a PS3 or XBOX etc to play the mkv files - after converting them of course.

Alternatively, just use a media player that is capable of playing mkv files - the recent one I'm currently waiting on is the ACER Revo in this thread: hotukdeals.com/dea…e=1

Original Poster

I've got a hard drive, with it all on which my TV can play the MKV's straight off.
    However, I do quite like having them on my shelf..
    So if anyone could recommend a burner etc, or if anyone could burn for me that would be great
    Thanks
    Jack

This one on Amazon gets good reviews and comes with software. Sorry, can't do a personal recommendation.

LG

Original Poster

Moob - I'd been looking at the amazon one, would I need a kit to make it external?
    Also - DCX - thanks for the advice, but I think I'd rather have them all fit onto one disc if possible
    Thanks
    Jack

spikeyjacko

Moob - I'd been looking at the amazon one, would I need a kit to make it … Moob - I'd been looking at the amazon one, would I need a kit to make it external?Also - DCX - thanks for the advice, but I think I'd rather have them all fit onto one disc if possible :)ThanksJack

That makes no sense?
    Fair enough point, you like a hard copy. Though I don't know many people who fill their shelves with copied films, but maybe that's what floats your boat.
    But putting them all on one disk? What's the point in that? They're already on one disk, a hard disk in your external drive.

You just seem to want to unnecessarily spend money.

Original Poster

It makes sense to me..
    I have a blu ray collection, and so that fills my shelf..
    They're on my hdd, but there's nothing to show for it..
    Just me being silly, yes, but it's what I want to do..
    And if they are all on one disc, it means I don't have to make more than one case..
    Jack

Original Poster

On another side not, what's better - dvd upscaled or 720p rips of programmes on a disc?
    I'm presuming the latter..

If you want them all on one disk then why can't you do what dcx suggested? If you transcode them, they'll lose quality but if you just drop them onto a disk then there's no transcoding involved and the quality will be the same as the original file. This assumes that you have a player which will read MKVs from a DVD...

If not, then just go with freedumb's suggestion and get a program which will transcode and burn them to a disk for you.

Original Poster

Unfortunately they won't all fit on DVD..

freeDUMB

That makes no sense?Fair enough point, you like a hard copy. Though I … That makes no sense?Fair enough point, you like a hard copy. Though I don't know many people who fill their shelves with copied films, but maybe that's what floats your boat.But putting them all on one disk? What's the point in that? They're already on one disk, a hard disk in your external drive.You just seem to want to unnecessarily spend money.

Isnt that far easier than if your hard drive dies sometime and you lose everything, rather than losing say one or two films that cna be replaced for pennies, and if your dvd drive dies then its cheap to replace too.

dcx_badass

Not even dual layer? I have 1080P copies that are under 4.5GB, a dual … Not even dual layer? I have 1080P copies that are under 4.5GB, a dual layer is 8.5GB, surely you have none bigger than that?

Step away, dcx. He will only suck you into his madness.

ryouga

Isnt that far easier than if your hard drive dies sometime and you lose … Isnt that far easier than if your hard drive dies sometime and you lose everything, rather than losing say one or two films that cna be replaced for pennies, and if your dvd drive dies then its cheap to replace too.

I think it's still cheaper to buy a second external drive to back up the first. The OP is talking about BD-R's and Blu Ray writers. They aren't that cheap when compared to the price of hard drives. I recently bought a TB for £70. I could put around two hundred 720p film rips on to that one drive.

Original Poster

I have various hard drives guys with all my rips on etc..
    I just like collecting blu-rays ( call me sad, whatever lol ) and want this one on my shelf.. I was mainly just enquiring about if it was possible to burn them to a blu ray..
    DCX, thank's pointing out about dual layer discs
    I don't think my player will play data discs though, and am I right in understanding that in converting the MKV's to fit onto DVD's, they will increase in size?
    Thanks
    Jack

Banned

take a look at winnydows.com (xvid4psp) as that converts into bluray

Original Poster

dcx_badass

You don't convert them, you just burn as a data disk and they are the … You don't convert them, you just burn as a data disk and they are the same size. IF your player can do mkv from usb it should be able to do it from dvd, give it a go with a smaller file as this way is much cheaper,

Unfortunately, it's my TV that plays the MKV's at the moment, my PS3 needs them converted first
    Sorry if I didn't make that clear..
    However, I might give it a whirl anyway and see what happens
    Thanks DCX!
    If we could still give Rep, I would!
    Jack

MKVtoVOB

spikeyjacko

Unfortunately, it's my TV that plays the MKV's at the moment, my PS3 … Unfortunately, it's my TV that plays the MKV's at the moment, my PS3 needs them converted first :(Sorry if I didn't make that clear..However, I might give it a whirl anyway and see what happens :)Thanks DCX!If we could still give Rep, I would!Jack

Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Do cheeky drivers annoy you when they park outside your house and leave it …2238
      2. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 188 ***1125
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767342
      4. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047131

See more discussions