Blue badge scheme could be extended to autism and dementia sufferers

Found 21st Jan
Heads up if you've been refused in the past, could be the biggest change since the 1970s

People with dementia and autism could get blue badge parking permits in England under new government proposals.

It is hoped that providing the permits for those with hidden disabilities will create equality between the treatment of physical and mental health.

The Department for Transport said at the moment only certain councils were recognising hidden disabilities.

If the proposals go ahead, it will be the biggest change to the blue badge scheme since it was introduced in 1970.

Around 2.4 million people have blue badges in England, which allows them to park for free in pay and display bays, use disabled parking bays, and stay for up to three hours on yellow lines.

Full Story bbc.co.uk/new…767
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
actually just been accepted on Friday from my autistic son
some terrible comments on hear. God forbid any of you should have a child with a hidden didability.
Blue Badges should be restricted purely for the use of those who have mobility issues.
If you can walk unaided, then you don't need a blue badge.
I thought that the purpose of a blue badge was for people who had mobility problems? Hence the wheelchair logo on the badge
85 Comments
That's great news a welcome change if I'm honest. I Have a hidden disability but it's not something that I need a blue badge for in the past when I was worse it would have been great help though.
I thought that the purpose of a blue badge was for people who had mobility problems? Hence the wheelchair logo on the badge
prec1ous7 m ago

I thought that the purpose of a blue badge was for people who had mobility …I thought that the purpose of a blue badge was for people who had mobility problems? Hence the wheelchair logo on the badge

No these days it’s for anyone who might be traumatised by looking for a parking space too. Won’t make any difference soon anyway as everyone is moving to online shopping the town/city centres are losing all the shops so those parking spaces will be useless.
eredmore52 m ago

That's really good news. Can I ask what were the requirements please and whether your son is still a child or an adult?
I'm looking to apply for my child and I should be most grateful for any help.
Edited by: "fmdddv" 21st Jan
Well, I suppose it will free up some parking bays if nothing else. More people using the usually empty blue badge bays should help.
some terrible comments on hear. God forbid any of you should have a child with a hidden didability.
cmdr_elito42 m ago

No these days it’s for anyone who might be traumatised by looking for a p …No these days it’s for anyone who might be traumatised by looking for a parking space too. Won’t make any difference soon anyway as everyone is moving to online shopping the town/city centres are losing all the shops so those parking spaces will be useless.

Heaven forbid you or a relative become disabled in the future, you might then realise its not a laughing matter
I hope they mean someone else drive em, dementia sufferers should not be driving.

And the blue badge was cut back years ago reducing the amount of people eligible so they are starting to expand it again then,
Edited by: "Segata-Sanshiro" 21st Jan
prec1ous21st Jan

I thought that the purpose of a blue badge was for people who had mobility …I thought that the purpose of a blue badge was for people who had mobility problems? Hence the wheelchair logo on the badge

Dementia is likely to have a big physical impact on the person in the later stages of the condition. They may gradually lose their ability to walk, stand or get themselves up from the chair or bed. They may also be more likely to fall. These problems can be caused by dementia, medication, other medical conditions (for example stroke), sight loss, balance problems and the environment. 
About time. My son has autism and haven't been able to get him a blue badge even though he is on high mobility on pip. He gets so upset if I can't find a space near where we need to go. He has a physical disability also where walking causes him pain and still couldn't get him one.
fmdddv54 m ago

That's really good news. Can I ask what were the requirements please and …That's really good news. Can I ask what were the requirements please and whether your son is still a child or an adult?I'm looking to apply for my child and I should be most grateful for any help.

Same here I would like to know too. Last time I enquired it was only for kids with high rate mobility. My son is only 5 but struggle when out and about
My daughter has a hidden disability but I won’t be applying for one. I think Disabled spaces should be purely for wheelchair, or frame/aid access only. Not because my daughter is having a bad day and won’t walk across the car park.
That's great but what will be the criteria..
katie.taylor18 m ago

My daughter has a hidden disability but I won’t be applying for one. I t …My daughter has a hidden disability but I won’t be applying for one. I think Disabled spaces should be purely for wheelchair, or frame/aid access only. Not because my daughter is having a bad day and won’t walk across the car park.

Really? My dad has a blue badge he has a permanent none operable blood clot in his leg and cancer, his leg hurts if he walks alot and he has to take it easy because if the clot moves its dangerous, wouldn't make any difference if he had a walking stick, actually he does have one he hardly uses better not to walk long.
My uncle has dementia, he went into the kitchen to make a cup of tea and came back in the room with tinned chopped tomatoes an chocolate biscuits. Imagine him with a blue badge
Its a give away!

Might as well walk to the supermarket as its just as far from a non-disabled parking space!
premierscfc1 h, 41 m ago

Heaven forbid you or a relative become disabled in the future, you might …Heaven forbid you or a relative become disabled in the future, you might then realise its not a laughing matter

Heaven forbid those with mobility issues go use them (that are in genuine need) and can’t get a space because it’s full of people who find it traumatic to park.

I will add my aunt was life long disabled in a wheel chair (someone in genuine need of a badge). If people have mobility issues these spaces are really important, if people are having a bad day and just going to get upset tough.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 21st Jan
Big word in the announcement is could, they tell us things could happen very often, most of the times they never do.
My dad must have dementia, He went out for a pint of milk 35 years ago, Hasn't been back since!.
Edited by: ".MUFC." 21st Jan
.MUFC.12 m ago

My dad must have dementia, He went out for a pint of milk 35 years ago, …My dad must have dementia, He went out for a pint of milk 35 years ago, Hasn't been back since!.

Ahh yes, that must be what happened with mine. Been wondering all this time.
eredmore3 h, 29 m ago

Fantastic can't believe that this is just new in England!
Blue Badges should be restricted purely for the use of those who have mobility issues.
If you can walk unaided, then you don't need a blue badge.
Uranus21st Jan

Blue Badges should be restricted purely for the use of those who have …Blue Badges should be restricted purely for the use of those who have mobility issues.If you can walk unaided, then you don't need a blue badge.

Agree fully
I think anyone on this thread who comments on anyone's disability in a wheelchair or not should be removed from this thread and also cautioned about future comments, it is total discrimination as far as I'm concerned and I'm sure a lot of people will agree against people with disabilities( physical and mental). Have you never witnessed a parent or a carer trying to get a child or an adult in and out a parked car whom may have autism or dementia. Well I have and on most occasions this is a very stressful time for everyone involved sometimes even dangerous. So I think the least the government can do is offer a car parking space which gives parents and carers alike some room at least to physically assist a child or adult in to their car safely. RANT OVER!
I have absolutely no issue with blue badges being used as a scheme to administer the use of accessible bays. What I do have an issue with, is those who simply see it as free parking and, in doing so, abandon their cars in the most reckless, dangerous and inconsiderate ways.
We have a strip of roadside disabled bays nearby which attract a small charge. Instead, badge holders shun them and park on the double yellows at each end - one set on a bend, one on a junction.
I can only see this making matters worse.
fivegoldstars14 m ago

I have absolutely no issue with blue badges being used as a scheme to …I have absolutely no issue with blue badges being used as a scheme to administer the use of accessible bays. What I do have an issue with, is those who simply see it as free parking and, in doing so, abandon their cars in the most reckless, dangerous and inconsiderate ways.We have a strip of roadside disabled bays nearby which attract a small charge. Instead, badge holders shun them and park on the double yellows at each end - one set on a bend, one on a junction. I can only see this making matters worse.

A lot of councils are now charging blue badge holders, if they are parking dangerously they can be given a ticket.
Suzanne_Rodgers-11338733021 m ago

I think anyone on this thread who comments on anyone's disability in a …I think anyone on this thread who comments on anyone's disability in a wheelchair or not should be removed from this thread and also cautioned about future comments, it is total discrimination as far as I'm concerned and I'm sure a lot of people will agree against people with disabilities( physical and mental). Have you never witnessed a parent or a carer trying to get a child or an adult in and out a parked car whom may have autism or dementia. Well I have and on most occasions this is a very stressful time for everyone involved sometimes even dangerous. So I think the least the government can do is offer a car parking space which gives parents and carers alike some room at least to physically assist a child or adult in to their car safely. RANT OVER!

Welcome, Suzanne. Quite a bold and knowledgeable suggestion of forum moderation in only your 2nd comment in a Misc thread.
cmdr_elito10 m ago

A lot of councils are now charging blue badge holders, if they are parking …A lot of councils are now charging blue badge holders, if they are parking dangerously they can be given a ticket.

Strangely enough, I tried arguing the case with a warden not long back. A blue badge holder was parked on double yellows, encroaching into a 'keep clear'. The road markings are there to allow a community transport vehicle access to a day care centre. The warden refused to issue a ticket, saying that the markings were advisory only so he had no grounds.
The actions of one inconsiderate parker - simply trying to avoid paying 60p - meant that 20 genuinely disabled people couldn't attend daycare.
eredmore4 h, 13 m ago

Can i ask how to do application my sons 6 hes high functioning autistic
cmdr_elito45 m ago

Agree fully

My sons autistic hes high functioning which means he as no sense of danger and will just run or walk into the road having blue bay for autistic kids will make a world of difference. He as hyper mobility aswel which means he might look like hes full of beans but his bones ache and come out of place just bevause there invisible disibilities doesnt mean they b able to have blue badge and when they do have a meltdown if the car was parked nearer wpuld help so much
Edited by: "samhughes01" 21st Jan
Uranus21st Jan

Blue Badges should be restricted purely for the use of those who have …Blue Badges should be restricted purely for the use of those who have mobility issues.If you can walk unaided, then you don't need a blue badge.

Disabilities isnt just if you can walk or not. My son can walk but hes high functioning autistic and autistic kids being give. Blue badges would save a lot of accidents they have no semse of danger also the anxietys and meltdowns they have goimg into some social places wpuld help being able to park close to were we was
Edited by: "samhughes01" 21st Jan
Suzanne_Rodgers-11338733039 m ago

I think anyone on this thread who comments on anyone's disability in a …I think anyone on this thread who comments on anyone's disability in a wheelchair or not should be removed from this thread and also cautioned about future comments, it is total discrimination as far as I'm concerned and I'm sure a lot of people will agree against people with disabilities( physical and mental). Have you never witnessed a parent or a carer trying to get a child or an adult in and out a parked car whom may have autism or dementia. Well I have and on most occasions this is a very stressful time for everyone involved sometimes even dangerous. So I think the least the government can do is offer a car parking space which gives parents and carers alike some room at least to physically assist a child or adult in to their car safely. RANT OVER!

Hi Suzanne, sorry you feel this way. We are not discriminating, we are simply stating an opinion that a scheme that supports those with mobility issues to find easy access parking has now been opened up to others that do not have a mobility requirement and stating that in our opinion it’s wrong. If you believe we should be banned for that then you are in fact discriminating against us for having a different view point. This is a good community on this site and I would ask that you please be more respectful of others points of view. I was a carer for my grandad now deceased, he was in a wheelchair, we didn’t even use disabled bays even though he had a badge, I just parked at the back end of the car park or somewhere quiet to get the wheelchair out and help/lift him in. My aunt was in a wheelchair for about 20 years and died 2 years ago. Disability and seeing people struggle with it has long been a part of my life. I have also been around autistic children and know that many things can set them off, it’s normally getting them out or in the car rather where it’s parked that causes the issue.
samhughes0122 m ago

My sons autistic hes high functioning which means he as no sense of danger …My sons autistic hes high functioning which means he as no sense of danger and will just run or walk into the road having blue bay for autistic kids will make a world of difference. He as hyper mobility aswel which means he might look like hes full of beans but his bones ache and come out of place just bevause there invisible disibilities doesnt mean they b able to have blue badge and when they do have a meltdown if the car was parked nearer wpuld help so much

Well if he’s in significant pain and it’s hurting him to walk then that is a mobility issue and he should get one. The justification of having a bay because he has no sense of danger is daft, the bays are in car parks or roads like any other spaces, disabled bays aren’t any safer than any other space. The only difference is that you will save a few pounds on parking.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 21st Jan
cmdr_elito2 h, 22 m ago

Heaven forbid those with mobility issues go use them (that are in genuine …Heaven forbid those with mobility issues go use them (that are in genuine need) and can’t get a space because it’s full of people who find it traumatic to park.I will add my aunt was life long disabled in a wheel chair (someone in genuine need of a badge). If people have mobility issues these spaces are really important, if people are having a bad day and just going to get upset tough.

Just getting upset is different from a mental health condition that may look similar. It could be from being agoraphobic, or seeing their mates leg blown off or being sexually assaulted or trafficked as a child- hopefully that won't happen to you or anyone you love so healthy mental state is altered so much that is causes mental and physical pain. Yeah, people may/could put it on but they could also with whiplash/ back issues or any pain related condition. Just shows a low level of compassion and an out of date understanding of medical impacts.
Difference between people who say in a wheelchair or a wheelchair user...
Don't they have parent and toddler bays in most car parks?.
As a full time carer, For a disabled friend who is a full time wheelcahair user. The blue badge scheme is a god send.
As I push her and the closer the parking to the shops the better.
Re disabled bay. They are larger than a standard bay which helps by letting me open the car door fully so she can be transfered in to her chair.
As above We have parked on yellow lines instead of car parks due to cost. But as I like my car I park as safely as poss not to inconvenience other people or pedestrians.
The simple fact is how many people that display a badge are the badge holder ?.
I see lots of young people parking displaying badge and then running from the car into shops. make your own judgements from that picture. I know no all disabilitys are visable, but where I live every young person must be disabled. must be somthing in the water.
Last week for the first time in 3.5 years of having a badge,we stopped to park on a high street disabled bay first of 4 bays as others were full.
Only to be approached by traffic wardens and asked to prove that the badged holder was present in the car. She was so all was well. While getting the chair out I saw the next 3 car have the badges taken from them and details being taken for prosecution. Well done wardens.
cmdr_elito58 m ago

Well if he’s in significant pain and it’s hurting him to walk then that is …Well if he’s in significant pain and it’s hurting him to walk then that is a mobility issue and he should get one. The justification of having a bay because he has no sense of danger is daft, the bays are in car parks or roads like any other spaces, disabled bays aren’t any safer than any other space. The only difference is that you will save a few pounds on parking.

You also get a wider bay, nearer to the shops.
This is often more important than saving the cost of parking.
cmdr_elito5 h, 20 m ago

No these days it’s for anyone who might be traumatised by looking for a p …No these days it’s for anyone who might be traumatised by looking for a parking space too. Won’t make any difference soon anyway as everyone is moving to online shopping the town/city centres are losing all the shops so those parking spaces will be useless.

Im constantly traumatised trying to find parking in town with their double yellow lines on 90% of parkable roads.

maybe thats the solution? get rid of double yellows and we can all park easily.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions