Expired

Blue box Internet

LocalFound 19th Feb 2014
Have broadband in now for over 6 years, still only getting 0.8mb download, rung ISP which is Sky told me that fiber was not available in my area, so rung BT who own the line, they told me that fiber was in my area but no enough people have asked for it and that sky has not enough connection left in my area and had to request more. Rung sky again they say there wasn't a demand in my area so they where maxed out. What other options do I have, I rung Ofcom they told me to ask sky to request more connection but they will not, Where do I go from here 0.8mb is bad I would be happy with 2-4 mb. Was looking at blue box radio broadband, they are unlimited and seem to get good speed with them anyone used them or know about them. What's reliability like with them with connection and speed.
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
You can get internet via satellite dish was quite pricey(£50 a month) when I last looked couple of years back .
norville555

You can get internet via satellite dish was quite pricey(£50 a month) … You can get internet via satellite dish was quite pricey(£50 a month) when I last looked couple of years back .

thats a terrible idea - satellite connections have been around for years... however the connection is unreliable and susceptible to weather conditions.

Have you spoken to BT to see what they can offer you?
What postcode are you?
Post code is BT49 9NB, have already ask BT but the say the same the box is at its limit and there is no more room for any more fiber connection. No enough demand
Maybe tethering with 3 mobile?
dougle34

Post code is BT49 9NB

You should be able to get 3G broadband but you will probably need an outdoor antennae. That somewhat complicates things because the router has to be near the antennae (which usually means putting it outside in a waterproof box). In turn that means you cannot use the routers built-in WiFi because that range isn't enough to reliably go through an external wall. You'll need an indoor access point for the Wi-Fi.

You can use any of EE, Orange, T-Mobile, Vodaphone, O2 or Virgin as the 3G provider.
3g is crap and costly I would use around 35gb a week from downloading and stuff. I get 0.9mb sometimes but would really like at least 3-5mb would be happy with that. Also a mate had the 3g in, on 3 kept jumping to vodaphone Ireland and it was very unreliable kept cutting off and very limited on usage..
dougle34

3g is crap and costly I would use around 35gb a week from downloading and … 3g is crap and costly I would use around 35gb a week from downloading and stuff. I get 0.9mb sometimes but would really like at least 3-5mb would be happy with that. Also a mate had the 3g in, on 3 kept jumping to vodaphone Ireland and it was very unreliable kept cutting off and very limited on usage..

Was that recently? NI is the last place to get nice things, and the communications infrastructure is no exception. Three has improved quite a lot (in NI) in the past few years, so it might be worth giving them another shot? They have unlimited downloads at around £25 a month, so if it does get signal on a normal phone, an aerial might just do the trick for you (should be significantly better).
It would appear that you're in a market 2 area with 2/3 principal operators providing broadband services at this exchange.

Quite limited really but NWE Wireless Networks' Bluebox Broadband seems the better choice for radio until land based services, BT FTTC becomes viable as dependant on which areas will get street boxes upgraded for more capacity. It's BT who decides on that before any other service operators gets their FTTC.

Don't live there myself but I would check with NWE Wireless Networks to see the path of antennas between you and the ISP is strong enough for you to use. Maybe a survey could be done prior to sign-up.

Have you asked what your neighbours use?

Don't forget to ask them about the Next Generation Broadband Residential Prices as the speed looks decent but beware of the contention ratio if loads of local folks in the area constantly DL/UL at all hours of the day.

General Information
Exchange name: Limavady
Exchange code: NILY
Postcode: BT490ND
Serves (approx): 8,992 premises.

BlueBox Broadband - Next Generation Broadband Residential Prices (Coverage Area Limits Apply)
Residential Packages Speed (Down/Upload) Contention Ratio Monthly Price INC VAT
Next Gen Home 10 Up to 10Mbit/2Mbit 48/1 £19.99 / €24.99
Next Gen Home 50 Up to 50Mbit/10Mbit 48/1 £24.99 / €32.99

BlueBox Broadband - Residential Prices
Residential Packages Speed (Down/Upload) Contention Ratio Monthly Price INC VAT
Bronze 3Mbit/512K 40/1 £18.99 / €24.99
Silver 4Mbit/512K 30/1 £24.99 / €32.99
Gold 8Mbit/1Mbit 30/1 £29.99 / €39.99
I have bluebox in bt45 and coverage is great. They will come out and fit box and check speeds. if u cant get what you are paying for they'll remove it and you'll not pay anything
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants