Expired

Blue Ray player to watch Amazon Lovefilm

Found 21st Mar 2014
Hello, I have a normal TV (not a smart one) and would like to watch Amazon free Lovefilm that I now have with my subscription. Would I need a SMART Blue Ray player to watch it on this tv? Also, on Amazon, it states only LG, Samsung and Sony models of Blue Ray player to watch the films. Does this definitely mean that you have to use these brands, ie, that a Toshiba blue ray player would not work? Also, is it a SMART player that I need, not a normal one? Thank you.
Community Updates
15 Comments
Do you have a games console in the house? you can get lovefilm on ps3, xbox or wii?
If you are going for a blu ray, you will need it to be smart eg connectable to the internet
here's the wiki page of compatible devices en.wikipedia.org/wik…ces
Edited by: "davzzp" 21st Mar 2014
My daughter has a wii but uses it a lot, so I was going to get something for myself. I've looked at a couple of Blu Ray players on ebay, and they seem to need to be connected to the internet via ethernet lead, however, I'm just wondering if they are the older models - will have to check to see when they came out. Will a smart blu ray player work with my tv that is not a smart one (though HD ready)? Thank you.
you could get a second hand Sony bdp-s390 for around £45 which has built in Wi-Fi so no need for Ethernet cable if that helps and no you don't need a smart tv too
Thank you all for your advice, much appreciated.
You can also use streaming devices like Roku, play and apple tv and chromecast which might work out cheaper
Recommend a Sony too.
As they also have other apps that get free movies, like Crackle and one that's full of independent movies on & most can be hacked for multi dvd regions
Sorry, still a bit confused with this - If I get a blu ray player that is wifi ready - does the Lovefilm app come already installed on it - ie when connected to my tv and I switch the player on, does the app pop up on a menu screen, or do you need a dongle or ethernet cable to connect to my router (downstairs) and have to go on to the internet to look for the app?

Only still confused with all this, because the blu ray players I am looking at say that they are wi-fi ready but also mention that an ethernet cable/connection is needed - I was hoping to get a blu ray player that needs no dongle or ethernet connection if that is possible at all. Any advice appreciated, thank you.
Sophiasky

Sorry, still a bit confused with this - If I get a blu ray player that is … Sorry, still a bit confused with this - If I get a blu ray player that is wifi ready - does the Lovefilm app come already installed on it - ie when connected to my tv and I switch the player on, does the app pop up on a menu screen, or do you need a dongle or ethernet cable to connect to my router (downstairs) and have to go on to the internet to look for the app?Only still confused with all this, because the blu ray players I am looking at say that they are wi-fi ready but also mention that an ethernet cable/connection is needed - I was hoping to get a blu ray player that needs no dongle or ethernet connection if that is possible at all. Any advice appreciated, thank you.

There are quite a lot of Wi-Fi ready Blu-Ray players but, require a special dongle to make them Wifi compatible which cost quite a bit :(. You need to find one that has Wi-Fi built in, no ethernet/dongle required.

When you do find one, depending on the make it may already have it downloaded but, most likely there will be some sort of "app store" where you download the apps you want, ie Amazon/Lovefilm, BBC iPlayer etc. That's the case with my Samsung Blu-Ray player anyway, I have to download what I want on it. And it's one that's Wifi ready.......yeah with a £40 dongle (_;) when I only picked the Blu-Ray player up for £30 lol.
dcx_badass

You can just use a £10 wireless bridge instead of their overpriced … You can just use a £10 wireless bridge instead of their overpriced adapter though, or even cheaper a cable.

I saw a deal on here yesterday for something similar to this from BT (can use with another supplier though) - £14.99 for two plug in 'bridges, etc', do you think this would work for a Samsung blu-ray player, so that you don't have to pay £40 for their own branded dongle? Thank you.
why not just get a Google Chromecast ?
Thank you for all the help, I have now gone ahead and bought a second-hand wii off of ebay for £8 (was £33, but for some reason ebay had given me a £25 voucher off of a £30 or more spend - never got an email about it, it was just in my account, so pleased to get it for £8).
dcx_badass

Make sure to buy a component cable for about £3 to make the quality … Make sure to buy a component cable for about £3 to make the quality slightly not as bad.

Sorry, can you explain this a bit more - what exactly is a component cable? Thank you.
Sophiasky

Sorry, can you explain this a bit more - what exactly is a component … Sorry, can you explain this a bit more - what exactly is a component cable? Thank you.

Just googled this and there is a cable with the wii, but not sure if it is the HD one - seen some HD ones for sale on ebay, but are the ones that come with the wii, HD cables or not? Thank you.
dcx_badass

The wii isn't HD, there's no cables to make it HD. However if your TV has … The wii isn't HD, there's no cables to make it HD. However if your TV has component then it will make the picture a bit better.

My tv is HD ready, so will the cable that comes with the wii be one for non-HD tvs - on ebay they are selling HD cables for the wii, so would it be better to buy one of those instead of using the standard cable that comes with the wii? Thank you.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions