Groups

blue screen unmountable_boot_volume HELP!!!!

Any advice anyone -

As soon as the laptop starts it says press F8 to go on advanced setup options and it gives several options eg safe mode with command prompt, safe mode, operate windows normally, etc

Once clicking on any of those options a blue screen appears and it says unmountable boot volume and lists lots of drivers. I suspect one of the drivers has not been installed properly and it is suggesting it be removed but it can't be cos of the blue screen

Now there is a blue screen everytime and no way of getting off it

No installation CD available

desperately need help

9 Comments

sorry but if safe mode don't work theres not a chance without a cd, well one chance and that involves removing the hdd attaching it to another machine and running chkdsk on it.

maddogb;4503246

sorry but if safe mode don't work theres not a chance without a cd, well … sorry but if safe mode don't work theres not a chance without a cd, well one chance and that involves removing the hdd attaching it to another machine and running chkdsk on it.

How would that be performed?

realfriendlyman;4505694

You can fix this with an XP Install disk.

Boot into Recovery Console and run Chkdsk as said above ! :thumbsup:

realfriendlyman;4505694

you take the hdd out and attach it to another machine (ie with a running windows) via an adapter(usb or ide2.5>3.5,you choose ) boot the 2nd machine up and run chkdsk on the drive...

maddogb;4505860

you take the hdd out and attach it to another machine (ie with a running … you take the hdd out and attach it to another machine (ie with a running windows) via an adapter(usb or ide2.5>3.5,you choose ) boot the 2nd machine up and run chkdsk on the drive...

I may be able to perform this but does the other laptop require to have XP, as I've spoken to some friends and family and they all have Vista installed.

Also, is there any risk to my friends/families laptop, as I don't want to damage anything of theres when they're attempting to help me.

Thanks for all the advice.

realfriendlyman;4560710

I may be able to perform this but does the other laptop require to have … I may be able to perform this but does the other laptop require to have XP, as I've spoken to some friends and family and they all have Vista installed.Also, is there any risk to my friends/families laptop, as I don't want to damage anything of theres when they're attempting to help me.Thanks for all the advice.

no m8 vista will fix it just fine, there is no risk to their machine as long as they have anti virus software installed, but you could just borrow their vista disk to boot from and save you faffing around.

I had this problem in xp... if chkdsk /r /f doesn't work your hd may be conking out/already conked out... QUICKLY MAKE THIS BOOT CD ON ANOTHER MACHINE... [url]www.ubcd4win.com[/url] (Your system will Boot up then) AND GET ALL YOUR IMPORTANT FILES OFF with 'RECUVA' (try deep search as well as normal...it might get stuck on deep search in which case just stop it) but give it plently of time (can take a fair few hours) and try all the other file recovery programs if you don't find what you are after (back them up onto external usb HD or a usb stick even) ... If you try making a new boot volume you run the risk of screwing things up more so best to recover your important files ASAP. Trust me this happened to me before I know what I am talking about.

If you don't have access to another windows machine to make the boot cd...then you will have to use some imagination.

maddogb;4561941

no m8 vista will fix it just fine, there is no risk to their machine as … no m8 vista will fix it just fine, there is no risk to their machine as long as they have anti virus software installed, but you could just borrow their vista disk to boot from and save you faffing around.

Ah damn, I wish I read this before, I just gave my laptop in for repairs because I couldn't find another laptop with xp or the install disk.

I'll see how much they're quoting, if it seems expensive, then I'll take it back and try the methods everyone has suggested and if that doesn't work.....I'll just buy a new laptop as it's a couple years old anyway and I really need my laptop for work.

Thanks everyone for all the advice, I'll keep everyone updated and fingers crossed that it works because it really is bad timing to require to purchase a replacement. :thinking:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Veteran TV host Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at 891111
      2. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!2950
      3. Sad news about Barcelona24103
      4. How dangerous is Donald trump?24106

See more discussions