Bluetooth Audio Delays with Windows 10

Posted 29th Aug
Hi, I am using Windows 10 on a laptop and my Galaxy Buds bluetooth earphones have a delay of about 0.5s which is really annoying.

It doesn't happen with any videos on my phone, but Youtube on my PC is out of sync.

Have googled this and can't seem to find a fix for why W10 has audio delays with bluetooth devices.

Any ideas please? Thank you
Community Updates
Ask
27 Comments
Try updating the drivers
discozohan29/08/2020 13:22

Try updating the drivers

Tried that, Windows says they are up to date
Robloxian29/08/2020 13:23

Tried that, Windows says they are up to date

Could always delete the driver and windows will fresh install it on reboot. Also have you got an audio mixer? Try playing with settings in there
discozohan29/08/2020 13:25

Could always delete the driver and windows will fresh install it on …Could always delete the driver and windows will fresh install it on reboot. Also have you got an audio mixer? Try playing with settings in there

Yeah I guess I could try that but how would that solve the issue as it'll install the same driver won't it?
Robloxian29/08/2020 13:26

Yeah I guess I could try that but how would that solve the issue as it'll …Yeah I guess I could try that but how would that solve the issue as it'll install the same driver won't it?

Windows does weird things sometimes. Just going through troubleshooting steps with you like I’d do on my own machine
discozohan29/08/2020 13:28

Windows does weird things sometimes. Just going through troubleshooting …Windows does weird things sometimes. Just going through troubleshooting steps with you like I’d do on my own machine

Thanks, appreciate it. Loads of people are apparently having the same issue with Bluetooth headphones and speakers.
Ive encountered the same problem, with cheapo bluetooth headphones, right up to my sony WH-1000XM3, and multiple sets inbetween.
Spent days trying to resolve the problem, nothing worked.
Now given up
Robloxian29/08/2020 13:28

Thanks, appreciate it. Loads of people are apparently having the same …Thanks, appreciate it. Loads of people are apparently having the same issue with Bluetooth headphones and speakers.

Failing that Try going into Settings > Audio Settings > Sound Settings (on the right) > Device Properties then clicking on Enhancements and Disabling All Enhancements. Also try changing codec to aac
Edited by: "discozohan" 29th Aug
discozohan29/08/2020 13:31

Failing that Try going into Settings > Audio Settings > Sound Settings (on …Failing that Try going into Settings > Audio Settings > Sound Settings (on the right) > Device Properties then clicking on Enhancements and Disabling All Enhancements. Also try changing codec to aac

Yeah I have also tried that. Looks like it's an issue with Windows or certain Bluetooth chips.
burgyuk29/08/2020 13:30

Ive encountered the same problem, with cheapo bluetooth headphones, right …Ive encountered the same problem, with cheapo bluetooth headphones, right up to my sony WH-1000XM3, and multiple sets inbetween.Spent days trying to resolve the problem, nothing worked.Now given up

Out of interest, what Bluetooth chip are you using?
Also be aware that Bluetooth has different speeds depending on version your using. Might be that your controller is slow and you need a new one. Other than that good luck in out of ideas
discozohan29/08/2020 13:36

Also be aware that Bluetooth has different speeds depending on version …Also be aware that Bluetooth has different speeds depending on version your using. Might be that your controller is slow and you need a new one. Other than that good luck in out of ideas

How do I find out if it's 4 or 5?
Robloxian29/08/2020 13:32

Out of interest, what Bluetooth chip are you using?

Having tried multiple Bluetooth headphones/earbuds etc, multiple chip varieties, none work without noticable delay, but as OP states, work perfectly with phone/tablets
Robloxian29/08/2020 13:41

How do I find out if it's 4 or 5?

Device manager, Bluetooth controller , properties , advanced. There you will see a list then google the rest for the version table
Robloxian29/08/2020 13:28

Thanks, appreciate it. Loads of people are apparently having the same …Thanks, appreciate it. Loads of people are apparently having the same issue with Bluetooth headphones and speakers.

I think you may have answered your own original question! Windows is not a fish but it is carp!
Pop in and boot a USB live linux distribution. Then try your same Youtube and if its OK then you know its a deffo Windows problem. When the whole world is being run on linux, smart tellies, routers, meters, autopilots, light bulbs etc etc - the Internet of Things I do wonder why people stay wedded to Windows.
tardytortoise29/08/2020 16:01

I think you may have answered your own original question! Windows is not …I think you may have answered your own original question! Windows is not a fish but it is carp!Pop in and boot a USB live linux distribution. Then try your same Youtube and if its OK then you know its a deffo Windows problem. When the whole world is being run on linux, smart tellies, routers, meters, autopilots, light bulbs etc etc - the Internet of Things I do wonder why people stay wedded to Windows.

That's interesting. Is that easy to do in order to test things?

I think you may have answered your own original question! Windows is not …I think you may have answered your own original question! Windows is not a fish but it is carp!Pop in and boot a USB live linux distribution. Then try your same Youtube and if its OK then you know its a deffo Windows problem. When the whole world is being run on linux, smart tellies, routers, meters, autopilots, light bulbs etc etc - the Internet of Things I do wonder why people stay wedded to Windows.

The ordinary consumer is not technically minded and wants peace of mind. Companies want the ability to control everything remotely and the assurance that someone credible is backing the OS and its security.
bozo00729/08/2020 16:04

The ordinary consumer is not technically minded and wants peace of mind. …The ordinary consumer is not technically minded and wants peace of mind. Companies want the ability to control everything remotely and the assurance that someone credible is backing the OS and its security.

Exactly! So much is now done on Linux - commercially! But I see no reason why the ordinary consumer should not take advantage of this. Running Linux is far easier than running Windows and for the vast majority it can do anything a user would normally use Windows for.
Robloxian29/08/2020 16:02

That's interesting. Is that easy to do in order to test things?

Yes, very easy.
Just download an ISO distribution like Ubuntu or Mint, and use RUFUS to burn the ISO to a USB memory stick. Once done, boot from this USB. It boots into "LIVE" mode which just means you can do anything that a normal installed version would do except save anything. Of course, it will be a little slower cos it has to do everything in RAM but it will detect your bud earphones and will either be perfect or not. If perfect, then you deffo know then it is Windows, If less then perfect then at the very least you have done a good test. So, you can browse the net and play a YouTube video. it will not effect your Windows system in any way unless of course you install it onto your hard disk.

Because Windows is where the applications are.

Same reason Linux isn't the default OS is why Windows isn't a phone OS anymore.

I know there are a lot of good equivalent apps or using Wine, but it's too much hassle for those who don't have the know how or will to attempt it.
tardytortoise29/08/2020 17:03

Yes, very easy.Just download an ISO distribution like Ubuntu or Mint, and …Yes, very easy.Just download an ISO distribution like Ubuntu or Mint, and use RUFUS to burn the ISO to a USB memory stick. Once done, boot from this USB. It boots into "LIVE" mode which just means you can do anything that a normal installed version would do except save anything. Of course, it will be a little slower cos it has to do everything in RAM but it will detect your bud earphones and will either be perfect or not. If perfect, then you deffo know then it is Windows, If less then perfect then at the very least you have done a good test. So, you can browse the net and play a YouTube video. it will not effect your Windows system in any way unless of course you install it onto your hard disk.

I presume to boot from the usb you need to go into your bios and set your boot preference?

Why can't you save anything?
spruceyb29/08/2020 17:05

You can use Unetbootin to download and burn the …You can use Unetbootin to download and burn the imagehttps://unetbootin.github.io/

Instead of Rufus?
spruceyb29/08/2020 17:03

Because Windows is where the applications are.Same reason Linux isn't the …Because Windows is where the applications are.Same reason Linux isn't the default OS is why Windows isn't a phone OS anymore.I know there are a lot of good equivalent apps or using Wine, but it's too much hassle for those who don't have the know how or will to attempt it.

Well, I look for functionality rather than apps. Back in the days before Windows, many people were far more skilful. I reckon they still are really, just need a little hand-holding and after the initial dipping of toes in the water, they will be up to their thighs in no-time before wanting to swim the channel.
Robloxian29/08/2020 17:05

I presume to boot from the usb you need to go into your bios and set your …I presume to boot from the usb you need to go into your bios and set your boot preference?Why can't you save anything?

Yes you would need to interrupt the normal boot sequence so it looks at the USB first - unless of course that is what it already does. (You might not need to go into BIOS - just press the right key - can be ESC, F2, F10 etc to interrupt the normal sequence and then choose from a menu what you want to do)
You can't save anything cos thats the way it is designed to work - it works in RAM. Of course, a full blown install has the ability to save.
Edited by: "tardytortoise" 29th Aug
What PC is it? Which Bluetooth? You could always try one of the 5.0 transmitters that connect via optical to avoid any Windows overhead.
Post a comment
@
    Text