BluRay Player that play avi/divx/mkv x264/x265

Posted 28th Sep
I want to update from normal DVD to BluRay or some sorts.
The reason for the upgrade is the Mrs wants to be able to play her older films etc in various formats, these being avi/divx/mkv/x264 as well as x265, i have sugested a droid box she is unhappy using that format and want to keep to a DVD/BluRay kind of player.
I have done a bit of reading and some say all the 4k BluRays will play x265 mkv's but when i check out sony's site for example there is no mention of this kind of support.

Can anyone shed any kind of light on this for me please, i would like to keep to below £200 but will spend more if i have to too get the right bit of kit.

All1
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

7 Comments
Can you not just use usb stick in tv loaded up?
wayners28/09/2019 18:50

Can you not just use usb stick in tv loaded up?

it would not be ideal doing that as i would be forever moving stuff about for her and i have had enough of that, i burn to dvd and have it all catalogued for her to just take whatever disc she needs
Both the Samsung ones I've had played them no problem at all

Edit.... Not sure about x265 though but the others no problem
Edited by: "Douglas_Birks" 28th Sep
x264 and x265 are pieces of encoding software rather than formats. The formats are H.264 (aka AVC) and HEVC (aka H.265) respectively.

Picking a random Sony model like the X800M2 it lists both HEVC and MPEG-4 AVC, both of which are supported in MKV containers.
sony.co.uk/ele…ion
Alloneword28/09/2019 18:53

it would not be ideal doing that as i would be forever moving stuff about …it would not be ideal doing that as i would be forever moving stuff about for her and i have had enough of that, i burn to dvd and have it all catalogued for her to just take whatever disc she needs

Be wary of Panasonic BR players. Historically they will happily play mp4 container from USB, but bizarrely not from disc. That is a weird implementation that I was expecting would be addressed in the latest generation of players to rid themselves of the Panachronic crown.
OK thanks for the heads up Andy

EndlessWaves ok that being the case it would seem most of the Sony's do what i need I'll have a closer look at them

All1
I got a mate of mine a bluray player a year or so back to do this. Worked fine for a while, but now some of the newer files won't play the audio as the codec they've been encoded with has been updated but there's not way to update the software on the bluray player.
You're always better playing on something where the software can be changed. . .
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants