Expired

BMW 1 series 2007-2008 Diesel Engine N47 recall

20 replies
Found 16th Apr 2015
Just a heads up really...

N47 Diesel engine recall to fix known timing chain issue. You will need to be proactive and call up your local BMW dealer... If you provide them with your VIN number, they will be able to tell you if you car is on the list.

Models affected: 116D, 118D, 120D 123D
Year registered: 2007-2008

It is about time BMW did something about this.

Link to original thread over at babybmw.net in first post...

20 Comments

What will they actually repair? replace complete timing chain?

Original Poster

J4GG4

What will they actually repair? replace complete timing chain?

Some garages will replace the Timing Chain and Tensioners... others are claiming that they will only replace the timing chain if there is excessive wear.

The timing chain is located at the rear of the engine, so this is an 'engine out' job averaging about £1500 requiring 1-3 days labour.
Edited by: "krazie2004" 16th Apr 2015

If the cars are from 2008 wouldn't that mean the engines would have most likely already suffered damage from it?

Original Poster

Error440

If the cars are from 2008 wouldn't that mean the engines would have most … If the cars are from 2008 wouldn't that mean the engines would have most likely already suffered damage from it?

The problem with these chains in particular were that they were weak and subsequently snapped spontaneously. Obliviously, if this snapped whilst the engine was revving highly, the car would pretty much be a write off. It has happened to many 1 series owners, but BMW have NEVER admitted this was a manufacturing fault. It also appeared on BBC Watchdog too...
Edited by: "krazie2004" 16th Apr 2015

Just had my 320D done

Original Poster

gmcoates

Just had my 320D done

Can I ask what the year of manufacture was? Have they extended this to later models yet?

An 08

Get to a dealer and ask what they can do
Mine did it with the MOT

Banned

I've only just heard of this BMW UK Campaign Recall for my car having phoned BMW to book in for a regular service.

Problem is my timing chain snapped last year! BMW and I settled on them paying for the parts (£4,500) and me paying the labour (£1,500).

Seems that they have now admitted to it being a manufacturing fault I should be trying to get my £1,500 back!?
Edited by: "Smythe22" 28th Oct 2015

Banned

Double Post (Deleted)

520d are also included.

hi, i have a 123d made in 2008, it has done 126,000 miles now and is making a bad scratching noise from the engine, i was told by my local independent garage that it was the idle pully and tensioner so had them and the auxiliary belt done but the noise is still there, could this be to do with the recall needed to be done and how best am i to go about it ?

Jack

Original Poster

POD24

hi, i have a 123d made in 2008, it has done 126,000 miles now and is … hi, i have a 123d made in 2008, it has done 126,000 miles now and is making a bad scratching noise from the engine, i was told by my local independent garage that it was the idle pully and tensioner so had them and the auxiliary belt done but the noise is still there, could this be to do with the recall needed to be done and how best am i to go about it ? Jack

Contact your local BMW garage and give them your VIN. It should be on their system as a 'quality enhancement', so ask them about this.

Just spoken to strastone bmw leeds and have been informed that the timing chain recall was cancelled in january and the best bit is that any bmw that wasnt repaired under the timing chain recall have been marked as being fixed!!!! Naughty Naughty BMW

so i guess theres no chance of a repair now? my engine has just seized due to the timing belt and its on the list. im going to badger my bmw dealer

so i guess theres no chance of a repair now? my engine has just seized due to the timing belt and its on the list. im going to badger my bmw dealer

Shelley04

Just spoken to strastone bmw leeds and have been informed that the timing … Just spoken to strastone bmw leeds and have been informed that the timing chain recall was cancelled in january and the best bit is that any bmw that wasnt repaired under the timing chain recall have been marked as being fixed!!!! Naughty Naughty BMW

Yes the BMW system says 'DONE' but they cannot confirm if means been done or campaign (they don't like to use recall) is done as in finished.

Anyone ever managed any success with this. Watchdog / VOSA etc should come down harder as they don't have to send letters out if it's not a 'recall' they dance around it being a campaign instead

Cam chain broke last week on my series 1.Only had it 4 weeks, 65,000 miles second hand.Managed repair and back on road through BMW garage for £850 get in touch if Need help. Pursuing claim for faulty goods through legal insurance.will keep you posted.

WillSeries1

Cam chain broke last week on my series 1.Only had it 4 weeks, 65,000 … Cam chain broke last week on my series 1.Only had it 4 weeks, 65,000 miles second hand.Managed repair and back on road through BMW garage for £850 get in touch if Need help. Pursuing claim for faulty goods through legal insurance.will keep you posted.

2nd hand from a dealer or private sale ?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Whey protien636
    2. CEX grading33
    3. Switch from BT to BT same property different person633
    4. What are the prices of supermarket counter pizzas?44

See more discussions