Groups

BMW 3 Series E90 - common problems

Going to view a few BMW 3 series tomorrow (E90).

Around the 70/80k mileage mark, 2008/2009.

Is there any common problems I should be looking for?

Many thanks in advance.

8 Comments

If it's a 2litre diesel then listen to clicking coming from timing chain. Very common and BMW won't admit it's a problem.

Original Poster

savgeax

If it's a 2litre diesel then listen to clicking coming from timing chain. … If it's a 2litre diesel then listen to clicking coming from timing chain. Very common and BMW won't admit it's a problem.

Hi mate, it's the petrol I'm going for, will that have the same issue or does it have a cam belt?

check the turbo if it's a diesel and the dpf too

Original Poster

Bump

things that went wrong in my 320i 2008 rocker gasket went 60k miles, this caused tiny drops drops of oil on the plate which caused slight smoke in winter and some smell inside the car, alternator went at 70kmls, abs sensor gone 80k

savgeax

If it's a 2litre diesel then listen to clicking coming from timing chain. … If it's a 2litre diesel then listen to clicking coming from timing chain. Very common and BMW won't admit it's a problem.

They do admit it is a problem. They replaced the tensioner and top chain on my 320d last summer even though it hadn't been to a BMW dealer for years and had 150K on the clock.

BMW do chains which don't need replacing. They don't do cam belts. I had a 520d and cost me nearly 4k to replace the chain and BMW would not accept blame.

Check for wear on inside of tyres, if low compared with outside, tracking is out.

petrol BMW generally are good runners.

Google for N43 engine problems. Common source of problems are the injectors at around £250 each to replace. Another common problem is the NOx Sensor failure which costs around £350.

Check the radio display is working and that the CD player works.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Samsung Galaxy S655
      2. How to get best deal on sky23
      3. HUKD new UI55
      4. Stream Showbox from Bluestacks?46

See more discussions