Posted 9th Dec 2022
Hi all,

Please help me choose between these two. Looking at around 2014 plate (maybe the facelift 2016 5 series if budget allows).

Just can't decide - I want them both!

What would you choose and why?

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

26 Comments

sorted by
  1. Avatar
    The 5 series but only if it is a touring. Assume the 3 GT comes into play due to practicality, the boot on the 5 saloon isn't a great shape for practicality, and folding split rear seats is not standard on saloons.

The F10/F11 interior is a magnitude better than the F30 based 3GT interior.

You mention 3 young children in one of the posts, I manage this fine (one is a baby) albeit in a G31 5 touring.
    Author
    Really appreciate your rational thinking. 520d touring does sound like the best option here. I just don't like the look of it, or any estate for that matter.

But, function over form. Might just have to suck it up. Man, I feel old!

Genuine thanks for the comments.
  2. Avatar
    320 GT if you need the hatch.

520d if you don't

Both have same engines but 5 series is more comfortable.

As @JimboParrot states, it was around 2015 that EU6 came into fruition so double and triple check.
    Author
    We're a young family of 5 (eldest is 6) and my main focus is on comfort and practicality. I really like the idea of a hatch but will always feel like I'm missing something for no going for the 5. The reverse will be true if I get the 5 and then struggle with boot space.

The other option is a 5 touring, but really don't like any estate aesthetically, nor does the Mrs - hence why I was looking at the GT in the first place.

As you can probably tell, I'm still very confused.
  3. Avatar
    I'd go for the 520d find it better looking than the GT, but its down to personal preference. I had my mates 435d for about 9 months while he was away, lovely car to drive... so not sure a 420d would be an option?
    Author
    I would love a 4 series, but the dream falls apart when needing to lug around three young children. Need something a little more practical.

I had to sell my E46 320cd as our family grew, it was hear breaking! Would love to get back into something like that
  4. Avatar
    48978503-nwXoX.jpg
  5. Avatar
    For what its worth, the 3 series (even the less pretty GT) should be easier to sell on. Say you keep it 4 years, whats the market going to be like for big saloon diesels?
    That said, the 5 is a superb car and a better family carrier.
    Author
    That's a very fair point. One I hadn't really considered.
  6. Avatar
    I've had similar aged 3 and 5 series and they were money pits. Prepare to repair. Driving an Audi now and they're not as nice a drive but way more reliable (in my experience anyway, in before all the Audi naysayers arrive!)
    Author
    What went wrong with yours? Fairly common issues, or just bad luck?
  7. Avatar
    Neither.

Timing chains still fail.
    Author
    No car is without its problems
  8. Avatar
    As both diesel you might want to look into ULEZ charges in the London area, plus any in other locations for starters.
  9. Avatar
    Author
    I live in London. This 2 litre diesels is euro 6, so exempt from ULEZ charges
    Do double check though as it is expanding and I didn't think a 2014 diesel would be exempt.

Both nice cars though.
  10. Avatar
    Very, very similar cars in terms of internal dimensions as I think the 3 GT is on the 5 chassis. Personally for me it would be down to the optional extras, I would want the larger screen and upgraded sound, does the GT have a glass roof option? I've almost pushed the button on the GT before, however, I live in the cotswolds and had a Jag XF for a couple of years, I hated how big it was for my area, sticking to 3-4 series size now and very happy. I retro fitted Apple CarPlay into my last BMW can't live without that now. Think of the extra's, the top graded merino leather is lush as well.
  11. Avatar
    None get a 330d. 6 cylinder, smooth as butter and a power house.
    Author
    Heart says yes, but brain saying no thanks. Don't need more power than the 4 cylinder produces, nor do I want the higher running costs
Top Merchants