BMW 6 Series Sat Nav CD - Help!

Found 29th Apr 2012
Hi there,

Recently, stupidly, threw out the Sat Nav CD that came with my 6 series, and now can't use my Sat Nav. The CD wasn't an original to begin with (hence why it accidentally got thrown out), so clearly 'copies' do work.

That said, i have downloaded some versions, and can't seem to get any to work. I have read that burning speeds, DVD's used, etc, etc, can all have an impact.

So, was wondering, does anyone know where i could get hold of working software, or what burning methods to use? Or better still, does anyone else have the software which they could copy for me, and post it on please?

Thanks in advance,

Ronald

P.s. Need to nip out just now, but get back to anyone when get back home in hour or so. Cheers.

22 Comments

"P.s. Need to nip out just now, but get back to anyone when get back home in hour or so. Cheers."

Hope you know your way back X)

Pssst, while he's not here, lets create hell on earth in this thread Here's to you OP
http://babaloud.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/monkey-going-crazy-01.jpg

Software needs to be burnt on a DVD+R Dual Layer disk.

I have 2010-1 High version which works fine.
Edited by: "Mecoconuts" 29th Apr 2012

Original Poster

Mecoconuts

Software needs to be burnt on a DVD+R Dual Layer disk. ;)I have 2010-1 … Software needs to be burnt on a DVD+R Dual Layer disk. ;)I have 2010-1 High version which works fine.

Cheers for info.

Did you download and burn it yourself, or is yours an original?

Also, what year is your car, as 'think' mighta read that 2008 onwards are different or something? (mine is before 2008).

Original Poster

bonn1e & the_mongoose_man, i like it, lol! Was more incase people reply, i don't respond, and look ungrateful, haha! Wanted to post it before nipped out, and nothing worse when try help people, and they don't even acknowledge it! :P

I downloaded and burnt it myself.....i have an (02) 7 Series.....AC Schnitzer ACS7.....(google it mine is the silver one).

My mate works for BMW he says all the software on the DVD is the same ...the firmware in your DVD drive takes what it needs from the DVD. I updated my firmware to V42.

For example new BMW drives i think have a Sat Nav 'night mode' ....its on my DVD but i can't select it due to the firmware version on my cars dvd drive.

Edited by: "Mecoconuts" 29th Apr 2012

These are what you want ....and what i use ....

amazon.co.uk/Ver…8-3

Original Poster

Cool, mate, thanks again, and nice car.

Understand waht you mean about options etc, and was just from reading various things around the web i wondered.

Albeit i'm not thinking of doing it right now, but is the firmware easy to update? At the moment, getting my Sat Nav working again will be enough for me, haha!

I have a DVD burner, but not a dual-layer one. Will need to check if anyone i know has, and to get the discs. Or, is there any chance you could do me a copy or two (a spare might be useful, lol), and i'd square you up?

Cheers.

Mate, your 6 Series will NOT take the BMW Road Map Europe HIGH that Mecoconuts has. That is for the older MK IV navigation units which typically have the navigation unit located in the boot. You have i-Drive controller on your 6 Series, so you have a choice of 2 x types of navigation.

Either BMW Business (you will only have 1 x DVD slot on the dash) and 'turn by arrow' navigation on the screen, or you will have BMW Professional (which has 2 x DVD slots on the dash, 1 x for audio CD and 1 x for the navigation DVD).

Professional is available as a 3 x disc set (DVD1 is for Western Europe) which you need, and can actually be burned on a DVD+R (4.7GB), whereas the Business Edition is a 2 x DVD set (again you need DVD1), except this must be burned on a DVD+R Dual Layer.

I would recommend only using Verbatim discs, and you need to burn on IMG Burn (free download). Keep the speed of the burn down to 2.4x and tick the verify box so it will 'proof read' your burn at the end.

The HIGH disc that Mecoconuts has, as I said, is typically for the MK IV units (older 3 Series (E46), older 5 Series (E39), Z4, older X5 (E53) and older 7 Series. It is a Dual Layer burn, and you need the v32.2 software disc to allow you to play the newer generation (post 2008) DL discs. Also, the adapted v32.2 cd will give you 'hidden' features such as voice activation speed cams, night mode vision, birds eye view perspective etc.

Been doing these for 10 years now. Never failed. Follow the instructions for burning as above and you will be ok.

In before anyone pipes up about copyright/intellectual property rights etc....... you are legally allowed to have one copy of a 'back up' disc as long as you own the original (which I do). Should not really discuss on the site about 'copying a couple' to pass on etc, so just be careful guys! (_;)

Original Poster

@shiner:

Thanks alot for your input also mate, and some of what you've said sounds along the lines of what i was reading elsewhere, with the exception of it having to be on a DVD +R.

Someone mentioned something about not to use BMW HIGH, or Busness Sat Nav (well not to download that), as will need the Professional one. Even after having downloaded that, still couldn't get one working, albeit i was still using DVD -R, so hopefully thats been the problem. That said, one copy i donw seemed to 'work' briefly. By that i mean it looked ok, seen perspective view etc, but when i first tried to navigate to somehwere, it took ages trying to locate it. Eventually i cancelled it, tried just going to my home adress, again took ages, then said 'not on DVD@ or something. It was deffo Western version etc though, so should have been. After that, Disc wouldn't read, and hasn't again. As i say, was a DVD -R though, so will try with a +R.

Couple of quick questions:

You reckon the - & + can make big difference?

I do indeed have i-Drive, and i have CD player in dash, 6-CD changer in glovebox, and a single DVD player in dash, which is only for Sta Nav (and audio DVD's apparently). Given what you've said, you reckon i would need the 'Business Edition, and burn to a dual-layer DVD +R? (ask as 'think' seen on a forum saying would be Professional Edition required, but weren't talking specifically to me, and guy didn't seem to have the input you've had, regarding different systems.

If i burn that, i do have voice recognition etc, so should all that still work, yeah?

Thanks again mate, and also thanks to Mecoconuts for input.

Original Poster

Shiner49

In before anyone pipes up about copyright/intellectual property rights … In before anyone pipes up about copyright/intellectual property rights etc....... you are legally allowed to have one copy of a 'back up' disc as long as you own the original (which I do). Should not really discuss on the site about 'copying a couple' to pass on etc, so just be careful guys! (_;)

Point noted, cheers, lol!

Oh, and also, i have Image Burn, but had been using Nero. You reckon that can be significant too?

DVD+R (or if Dual Layer then DVD+R DL) and Verbatims are the ones you should burn with. In my experience, you get a better read from the lens laser when using DVD+R/+R DL rather than on the - versions.
You may well be right about it being on a DVD+R DL thinking about it, as I have compressed mine into a DVD+R as I deleted a couple of languages from the disc. So, in hindsight, it will be DVD+R Dual Layer.
The problems you are experiencing with the navigation 'snagging' is simply down to a combination of a bad burn (perhaps wrong medium being used (always use Verbatim); wrong speed (burn at 2.4x if possible, or lowest your burner will allow) and believe it or not can be just down to dust on your laser lens, so you might want to give it a clean.
You mention the dash configuration......just to clarify, if you have 2 x audio slots in the dash (one above the other), as one is for music and for is for DVD map only, then you will have PROFESSIONAL. If you only have ONE slot in the dash (in total), then it will be BUSINESS nav.
PROFESSIONAL will give you the perspective view and split screen facility.
Use VERBATIM DVD+R Dual Layer discs, burn using programme IMG Burn, burn at lowest speed allowed by the burner (best is 2.4x) and tick the box to VERIFY the disc on IMG Burn. Having said all that, you obviously need original disc to copy to your pc.
All the best!

Thanks for sorting that out Shiner49.........i almost led him down the wrong path....

Original Poster

Mecoconuts

Thanks for sorting that out Shiner49.........i almost led him down the … Thanks for sorting that out Shiner49.........i almost led him down the wrong path....

Any input is appreciated mate, even if wrong info, as it then brought it to other people's attention, to pass on their knowledge, so thanks! Lol!

Agree with Shiner49, except it doesn't need to be dual layer, as mentioned, some information can be deleted so it fits onto a normal DVD+R, these versions can be sourced online if necessary.
The only other thing to mention - my DVD drive became knackered after I started using a "backup" disc for the 2010 maps - my iDrive would constantly say "no disc inserted" when on journeys longer than 30 minutes, and the DVD would come out very hot - my car was under warranty, and BMW ended up having to change the entire DVD drive. I've only used the original 07 disc after that without any problems, but not the latest version obviously.

Original Poster

Thanks again Shiner49, and i think i must have the PROFESSIONAL system then, which will be in keeping with what other forum said, and i will indeed need the PROFESSIONAL Edition then, yes?

I have 2 slots in dash, one for standard CD's, (CD Drive), and one for DVD, which is for Sat Nave, or audio DVD's apparantly. I thought you meant some might have a CD drive, and 2 x DVD drives in dash, lol! I did think seemed bt much, but hey, you never know.

I also have the perspective view, split-screen as you say, as in can see i-Drive functions, plus on the right of it, have the perspective screen too, so think deffo PROFESSIONAL one then.

Going back to what you first said then, i should be ok to burn that on a single layer DVD then, and don't need a dual-layer burner afterall?

Thanks again.

P.s. Duno what you mean when say 'i might be right about it being a DVD +R DL, as i duno what i said that would suggest i knew something about that, haha!

Original Poster

DrJC

Agree with Shiner49, except it doesn't need to be dual layer, as … Agree with Shiner49, except it doesn't need to be dual layer, as mentioned, some information can be deleted so it fits onto a normal DVD+R, these versions can be sourced online if necessary.The only other thing to mention - my DVD drive became knackered after I started using a "backup" disc for the 2010 maps - my iDrive would constantly say "no disc inserted" when on journeys longer than 30 minutes, and the DVD would come out very hot - my car was under warranty, and BMW ended up having to change the entire DVD drive. I've only used the original 07 disc after that without any problems, but not the latest version obviously.

Cheers mate, maybe something worth noting also then. You got any idea how much BMW charge for buying original copies? Not looked into that yet.

Also, after you think drive developed problem, did you ever try original discs in again to see if they worked? Or do you think they copies kncaked the drive completely?

Best to PM me and I will point you in the right direction for the 2012 Professional nav data you need.

R0N4LD

Cheers mate, maybe something worth noting also then. You got any idea how … Cheers mate, maybe something worth noting also then. You got any idea how much BMW charge for buying original copies? Not looked into that yet.Also, after you think drive developed problem, did you ever try original discs in again to see if they worked? Or do you think they copies kncaked the drive completely?

BMW charge around £150 for an upgrade if you hand your current disc in - can only imagine what an original would be!
When the DVD drive started playing up, even the original was having issues - not sure what the problem was, but it only started after I was using the backup disc (Had the car for 2 years without problems before that)
If the car is under warranty, would follow the link Shiner49 is offering and take it from there...
PS my car is a 2007 3 series E92 with professional nav, with the separate CD drive and DVD drive
Also, check E90forums for lots of useful info if you need.

I have the BMW Professional and the nav disc won't eject. The idrive system would say no disc and I would eject and reinsert disc to get navigation working again but this time it won't eject. Please advise

hi can anyone supply me a disc for my 2009 bmw professional sat nav
Post a comment
@
    Text