BMW breakdown - Timing chain problem

Found 23rd MarEdited by:"dhanepud"
Hi all ,

I have an urgent issue with my bmw. The whole oil leaked & when I was taking it to closest Halfords it was shutting down several times with losing power / electronics.
Halfords refused to service & asked to take it to BMW authorised centre. They say it is some electronics/timing issue which they don’t want to risk fixing.
I have breakdown cover with startrescue. Now the question is will start-rescue take my car from Halfords to BMW service centre (1.5m apart)?
What options do I have? Really worried at the moment :-(

Further to this, Halfords said that they think it is BMW timing chain problem. Anyone who has been through this, any idea how serious is this ? and how much does this cost?
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
Looking at the levels of cover provided by Startrescue.co.uk, I would think they would.

Try calling them - see Need assistance:

"If you Break Down In the event of a breakdown, please call 01206 785999 or if you are unable to connect using that number, please call 0333 320 0975.

We will require the following information:
  • Your return telephone number. This will allow us to immediately call you back if we need to.
  • Your policy number, this is found on your breakdown policy schedule.
  • Your vehicle registration number.
  • Your precise location details (or please provide details as accurately as you are able to in the circumstances).
  • The problem with the vehicle."
Looks like you might be covered by their recovery service. They offer recovery to either a garage or destination within 10 miles of your breakdown. Give them a call
Just push it into a different car park out of Halfords or onto the road and then don’t say anything about Halfords and say you want to got to BMW
timing chain is often fatal.

Which engine is this? the n47 (2007 on) 2.0 diesel is infamous for timing chain failure. But if the engine still runs then thats a good sign. Why did halfrauds think it was a timing chain issue?
losing power could be the ABS/traction Sensors this happened to my BMW If you hold down the traction button for 10-20secs it turn off the sensors and would drive fine without loosing power. BMW said it was the ABS Rings and it would cost £400 per side(so x2 = £800) as they don't sell just the ABS rings and have the buy the full thing. found a company that done the sensors and ABS rings (only) for £30-50 and never had the issue sins. the issue i would have is the car would drive fine then 3-4 warrning lights would come on (think it was ABS, Traction and Break) and it would loose power. I could still drive the car (i did drive the car for around 1-2months and this issue would happen 1-2 a day).

I should say tho before this my trimming chain did break (at 20-30MPH i did not see any issues with the car when this happened)) but it was on the recall list (320D 2007 E92) but was never informed (car was bought from BMW) and the car had a full BMW service history (bar 1 service) so they fixed it for free.
Edited by: "Mackan" 26th Mar
If it was running fine before losing all the oil, I'd say it's something other than the timing chain.
with the lose of oil could be the turbo that has gone. could give you loose of power and can take all your oil.

I also think this does not show any warning lights on the dash if this happens.
this happened to me. I was on the motorway doing 60MPH for around 20mile before i even notices as was going to pass a car and i put my foot down and nothing happened. just strayed at this speed lol. I ended up driving my car for around 2h in total and i would say around 30-40mins of that was in town.
Edited by: "Mackan" 26th Mar
mas9923rd Mar

timing chain is often fatal.Which engine is this? the n47 (2007 on) 2.0 …timing chain is often fatal.Which engine is this? the n47 (2007 on) 2.0 diesel is infamous for timing chain failure. But if the engine still runs then thats a good sign. Why did halfrauds think it was a timing chain issue?

Engine is 2010 , 2.0 petrol
dhanepud26th Mar

Engine is 2010 , 2.0 petrol

did you find out what the issue was?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants