Board games for adults.

Lured you in with the title didn't I. Filthy minds! Got some friends coming over this weekend to visit. They live quite a distance away so we only see them a few times a year. After a meal and a few drinks (ok maybe more than a few) someone usually asks if we should play a board or card game. I should add that we're all too old to go raving so this is as exciting as it gets! Usually play cards, Trivial Pursuit, Monopoly (too slow and gets too competitive) and looking for something new that's fairly easy to pick up without a million complex rules, is fun to play without getting too competitive or boring that we can play until we're too p*ssed or tired to care. Not too much to ask is it?

31 Comments

Cards against humanity should do the job

cards against humanity? (definitely benefits from a drink or two and a sense of. humour like Frankie Boyle....not for the easily offended!)

Manogamy its an adult board game its quite fun.

Cards against humanity. Available everywhere but here is their website: cardsagainsthumanity.com/.

[I shouldn't have added the website... the extra time typing allowed 2 others to beat me to it!]
Edited by: "kdk" 6th Dec 2016

Codenames, Spyfall, Ticket to Ride and Dixit

triominoes. like dominoes but triangular shape. played many times with kids and adults.

The Logo Board game is quite good

Exploding Kittens (nsfw edition, of course)...

Is "Risk" still around -used to enjoy world domination X)

Linkee will be doing the rounds again here this year, and also spot the intro, not strictly board games but we split into teams to play both of them .

Edited by: "tinkerbellian" 6th Dec 2016

Original Poster

I'll start looking at all these. Never heard of cards against humanity or triominoes but I'll have a look.

Original Poster

Exploding Kittens wtf!

Yahtzee.

Jenga - gets trickier the more drinks you have

Speak out looks like it could be fun, have a look on Youtube X)

Twister, particularly if you have enjoyed a glass or two of wine!

oh God.Speak Out!! ...we played that on Bonfire Night whilst slightly less than sober. the video is priceless but I suspect it will be a one-night wonder. Def funniest first time round.

Ps Op. if going for Cards Against Humanity, make sure it is UK edition.

Original Poster

Cards against Humanity definitely seems to appeal. Non of us are prudes so think we'd have a blast playing this. Best place to buy the UK version? Twister on a full stomach and after alcohol - are you mad!

From the sort of stuff you get a Argos, articulate and balderdash are two of my favourites.
From more niche games, favourites are camel cup, king of Tokyo and perhaps machi koro are good choices.

Another vote for Linkee

Timeline - dead simple to play in terms of rules, loads of different versions amazon.co.uk/Asm…CNU

TAH-M

cards against humanity? (definitely benefits from a drink or two and a … cards against humanity? (definitely benefits from a drink or two and a sense of. humour like Frankie Boyle....not for the easily offended!)

I went through them and have a 'not safe for parents or other people who are easily offended' pile.

Good game.

mimimee

Timeline - dead simple to play in terms of rules, loads of different … Timeline - dead simple to play in terms of rules, loads of different versions https://www.amazon.co.uk/Asmodee-Games-TIM01USASM-Timeline-Inventions/dp/B005N57CNU

We play Timeline - various versions - recently played at a family get together with ages ranging from 8 to over 80 all joining in - quick to learn as well.

If your getting Cards against humanity. Dont bother with the UK version, the American one is far *better, granted some of the cards might not make sense to us Brits but over all its the better version.

*Offensive

Even better, download it yourself.

s3.amazonaws.com/cah…pdf
Edited by: "mclovin9091" 6th Dec 2016

Original Poster

Just bought Cards against Humanity with guaranteed delivery by friday. I'll let you know if we were all horribly offended or fall about laughing at this game. I'm betting on the latter. I'll look through all the other suggestions see if there's anything to buy for the future. Thank you everyone for your help.

Scattergories the game of categories is a fab game for all ages.
DD who is 18 recently had a games night with her friends and they all loved this and cards against humanity. She has her birthday in January and has asked if we can all play scattergories at the family gathering.
It is dead simple, great fun and gets very loud.
argos.co.uk/pro…493

Fluxx is also great card game wise or if your after a board game and like working as a ream against the game then Containment is wort a gander. Stay away from Game of thrones unless you have loads of time and a speed reader semi genius. Great game but takes forever to set up, lots of space and the rule boo, is nearly as long as the novel itself.

Good old ludo

Depends on the adults, but we always get creationary out, it's pictionary but instead of drawing you build the word with lego bricks

The Really Nasty Horseracing Game. We've repeatedly played this at get togethers from just 4 people up to about 12 - and everyone loves it. Got ours from Debenhams.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Nintendo Switch Game Cases34
    2. E-liquid55
    3. Mountain bike £200-£30022
    4. Problem with new double glazed installation44

See more discussions